What To Expect

Jaxy

I like to think of it like having a child my son is very hyperactive! But each puppy is different. I think I'm pretty lucky with my girl. her worst bits, were nipping, weeing on the only carpet we have  in the house, eating my mums flowers (still haven't completely stopped that.) although she has chewed through a speaker wire and my sons new trainer laces. no sofas yet!! But I do think my older GS dog keeps her in check. I'm sure other people will be able to give you their opinions :D.

Hmmmm...we didn't have much trouble with potty training. Our biggest issues have been:

- Eating everything. Seriously, eating paper towels, socks, underwear, tampons, toilet paper rolls...you name it, if she could get her mouth on it, she would. Work on the "leave it" command first thing!

- Nipping. We still haven't eliminated this problem yet, sadly. She is just so mouthy.

- Funny noises. Mine doesn't bark much or woo at all, but she makes the silliest noises, sounds like a cross between a monkey and a mad cow.

- Lots of diarrhea and lots of experimenting to find the right food and the right amount of food. These huskies sure have sensitive tummies.

- Lots of hair, hair hair everywhere!

- But mostly, lots and lots of laughing at the goofy things they will do. :)

Edited by Chula

When my husky was a pup he loved to pee on the couch. Of course he didn't just stay in one spot he would do it across the whole couch. He wanted to chew on everything like the baseboard in our home. He loved nylabones so that kept him busy so he wouldn't chew on anything else. He whined at night because he never wanted to be in his crate, but of course when he got older he didn't whine. I would pick up all the little things you don't want chewed. He wanted to play all the time. We would take him on walks everyday and took him to the dog park to get all his energy out.

Ooh seems that most keep their puppies in the house. My pups are outside most of the time, we have a huge backyard so I keep them there. Their beds are in a shaded during the day and warm place at night area and their food and water are in a totally different spot. Tonight is the first night for them in the new environment so we will see how it goes. They refuse to be walked on leashes so any advise on that would be appreciated. They are very hyper!! But at least they seem obedient at this stage, will see how that progresses :D and for some reason they love playing in water, even splashing in their water bowl :lol:

I think most people keep their huskies inside with their families because huskies tend to be pack animals, and want to be with their "pack". Chula would go absolutely crazy if I tried to make her sleep outside. My neighbors would not be amused.

Also, they are little now, but is your outside area husky proofed? They can dig under a fence in a minute and be gone. I know because mine did it!

I would advise against keeping pups outside.  They need supervision in order to be trained.  Leaving them to their own, especially two together, it's hard telling what they will do.  They are also notorious for escaping.  They are relentless diggers, and can burrow under a fence in short order before you even know what happened.  Aside from that, if you ever do need to bring them inside, if you don't potty train them now, it may be virtually, nearly impossible if not very, very difficult if they are a few months older than they are now.  Just some things to ponder.  Best of luck.

EDIT:  I too have a huge back yard.  It's fenced as well.  However, we bring our two in for most of the day when we are at work.  They get out a few hours after work, but always at night they are in the house.  They need interaction with their humans.  Otherwise, they can become very destructive because they simply become bored.

Edited by Mazz

Well my two potties in the house for a bit.it was hard to potty train them both because they always had to go to bathroom at different times..they chewed everything! One would steal something and as I'd go to chase her she would drop it and the other would take off with it..we crated them together in the house till about 4 months old when we bought another cage and it was difficult to get a goods night sleep..they cryed for each other..but soon learned in a month...when they were outside they would dig together and escape the fenced yard...Meeka broke her leg at 24 weeks and when she had to stay at vet our larka wouldn't eat, drink, and would just lay around looking sad intill she returned...one day I fell asleep with them out and they had my socks dug out playing tug of war with when there was a ton of toys in their room lol

Ok, well I have definitely not thought everything through so I have decided that I will move the pups beds into the kitchen and give them free roam in there and the wash-up area as this is the place where a lot of activity happens of course, so that way they are closer to us and  

it would be a better way to get to know us and our movements better. See I knew it would be a great idea to ask for advise as I am still new at the Husky raising and willing to take any advise! Well that's a wrap for day 1, hoping that each day will just get better! :)

That's good you moved them inside.  Especially since they are so young, who knows what they could get into outside, and who knows what could get to them!  

For their age, I would recommend keeping your eye on them constantly!  I never let mine out of my sight for the first few months...actually, they are rarely out of my sight now!  If you can't watch them I would suggest crate training them.  THey can get into so much stuff even in a room you think is husky proof.  Crate training will also help with potty training (just make sure the crate isn't too big or they will potty in it).  

Crate training, consistency, and patience and you'll be fine :)

I notice that you said that your pups don't like the lead. Unfortunately the lead for a husky is a must. This is probably one of the quickest and easiest ways to lose your dogs. They will soon learn to get used to it. Never let them dictate to you what is going to happen you need to be the Alpha and make sure they know who is in charge, that way you will all have a happy time together.

Gary.

I agree with Gary, at 8 weeks old, everything will be a new thing for them that they will not like, but you must get them used to a lead. Do they have collars on in the house? Attached a short lead to it & let them drag it around for short bursts while you supervise them & praise them when they ignore it & go off investigating stuff. They will get used to it being attached in no time & then you can start leading them around the backyard getting used to walking on one

I am happy to report that my pups finally decided that walking with us on the leash is a good idea. Sure they still lead us into the bushes now and again but at least they are obedient when we go out with the leashes now. I adore them!! And our 1 year old daughter loves them to bits, but I am still a bit scared to put her down around them lol. I put her down once and they immediately started licking her face, I'm just scared they will give her lil too much love and she might get hurt. Any advise on Husky and children?

Not had puppy, he was a rescue age about 2 1/2.

Fur is something to expect lolpost-9359-0-87938300-1375088105_thumb.jp

This is result of todays grooming of 1 dog, (Charlie don't lose much)

But he is worth it cuz he is funny and lovable and annoying and demanding and when he wants a cuddle you have no choice but give him one. Would we give him back? No love him to bits.

pups...hmm, I had brothers, I just remember a lot of poo, a lot of kisses, and a lot of playing, OMG did they play, running around like wild fire, my mum would loose her rag and they would be banished to the back garden..my poor garden is recovering nicely, but I had to buy a lot of grass seed and plants :)

I haven't noticed any aggravation from any of the two pups just toooo much love :wub: , guess the best way to find out is to just let the lil one play around them and then see their reaction to her. I find them loving anyway so I hope that they will just grow with the lil one as that would be awesome!! :P  

pups...hmm, I had brothers, I just remember a lot of poo, a lot of kisses, and a lot of playing, OMG did they play, running around like wild fire, my mum would loose her rag and they would be banished to the back garden..my poor garden is recovering nicely, but I had to buy a lot of grass seed and plants :)

Hahaha pooo I have seen a lot of too yes and it's only been 3 days since getting them  :D , they are quite busy lil pups. Friday when the breeders dropped them off at my house they had 3 other pups with them also on their way to the new families. So all 5 pups explored our front garden. It was crazy  :lol: and I sighed of relieve when I remembered that not all 5 would be staying with us, cos I would have had to quit my day job just to handle them all  :rofl: