Name Your Husky

Jaxy

Before we decided to buy our Husky pups we were searching and thinking about names. But we finally decided on Xena and Gizmo. How bout sharing your Husky names and telling us how you decided on it!! Could be an old topic, but I'm new so share! :P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For Nikko I didn't name him until I brought him home. I went online and found a list of names and just picked it out!

For Yukon I picked his out before I got him and I named him after another dog I almost got but was too late and someone else already adopted him.

For Kodiak I did a poll on here but ultimately decided it from a suggestion from a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

My rescue, Petunia (AKA Tunes or Tunia) came with her name. She'd lost so much before she was taken in by the rescue that I couldn't bear to take her name away from her. She's my special girl. Looks like a coyote and the rescue actually thought she was part wolf. I should have named her Dory (from Finding Nemo) 'cause that's kind of the personality she has.

My first husky was Bo. My hubby named him and he was the light of my life. I will always miss that old man.

My girl, is Rynnie (short for Omryn, which is Chukchi for 'long life' or 'robust'). She's also known as pRYNcess Ryn (thanks to Nixy on here!) And lives up to her title.

Solo came with his name, hubby liked it and technically he is his dog (useful tool lol) Charlie was called Thorn (!!!!) so renaming was high on the agenda. We found him at the centre day after boxing day, at home our daughter was watching 'monkey life', They announced that Charlie the original Chimp had died so she asked if we could name the puppy. He answered to it straight away and by the end of the week (couldn't bring him home till new year) the centre staff were calling him it.

Dana came with her name.

Glala.. well... I always got her name wrong to be honest! Ruth always pronounced it as Glala which I took over when I joined this forum. Only recently she's been getting a bit more online and I noticed she's been spelling it as Clawa instead (although it differs everything, I blame her spelling :P). I told her and she didn't mind, which is why I kept it as it is. I pronounce it the same as she pronounces Clawa.

Wodak was originally called Wodan. We wanted a different name, but for a 6 year old husky we didn't want him to have to learn an entirely new name, so it became Wodak which he immediately recognised as his name. Though I'm not sure if it's a good name because I keep switching the A and the K, resulting in Wodka every time  (Over chat: "Hey Ruth! Shall I walk Wodka again?")  :shrug:

Mishka came with her name, I didn't bother changing it as she responded well to it and it is a nice name

However had I had the choice I wouldn't have named her Mishka, its too common and people always ask if its the one on youtube which gets annoying lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Dakota- our first and obviously a completely unique name *LOL*

Juneau- our second and again completely unique name

Diamond- was a Rescue and came named "Pink Diamond" from her previous owners, we decided to drop the pink even though she is a princess

Rockie- came named from the shelter we rescued him from

Tikaani- was a rescued as a stray and I was pretty sure where he came from I decided to name him the Inuit word for Wolf.

Denali- though not a unique to the breed name, his name is actually from the Ashen Hotshots a wildand fire fighting team in the Denali area of Alaska

Mason- Mason came with his name from Tumnatki Siberians- he is Tumnatki's Mason

Riley- just looked like a Riley, playful but with courage

Kenna- Meaning Born Of Fire (which is her reg'd name) is a play on my firefighting background and my kennel's fire theme

Enya- Meaning Fire, her reg'd name is She's On Fire as a play on my firefighting and kennel theme.  But also her brother is reg'd GCH Galena Crk's On Fire At Kaniska

Aspen- is not a Siberian but the meaning is self-assurance, independence, and confidence which is this American Standard Shepherd to a T

*Future* Faith- Our yet to be born girl's name is a tribute to the 19 fallen Prescott Hotshots we lost in Yarnell AZ this summer.  Her Reg'd name comes from a poem for Wildland Firefighters.

Timber- who is no longer with us came with his name given his background as a Timberwolf mix.

i hadnt really thought of any girls names as i thought id end up with a male dog and would have called it Dexter after the tv show,

ended up with a female and the name Skyler came to mind, a character out of another tv show i enjoy breaking bad :)

i hadnt really thought of any girls names as i thought id end up with a male dog and would have called it Dexter after the tv show,

ended up with a female and the name Skyler came to mind, a character out of another tv show i enjoy breaking bad :)

Haha! That is too great. I love it!

We name ours Balto, and let me tell you deciding on names with my husband is the WORST!!!! It is especially more difficult now that we have to name a child (luckily we are having a girl and we decided on a name rather quickly as for a boy we would still be debating). Ok back to Balto. Well we adopted him from our local humane society and we already have a cat named Cheyenne (I got to name her since I saved her from an abandoned house and she looked like a Cheyenne). Well my husband got to pick the dog at the shelter that he wanted and at first he wanted to name Balto Apache because Cheyenne was like the Cheyenne Indians and Apache is another Indian tribe. I refused to have him named that, so then my husband wanted Duke because apparently someone named John Wayne was the Duke and chased the Cheyenne Indians. I told him absolutely not!!! So that night we came home and I put a movie in and it happened to be Balto, well then we said Balto isn't pure husky so why not Balto, that is a name both could live with and instead of arguing further that is the name we chose.

Chula (choo-lah) got her name because it means "beautiful girl" in Mexican Spanish. Don't let Google fool you, it does not mean prostitute or whore.

We didn't know what to name her, but when we got her home, we both looked at her and said "es tan chula" (She's so pretty), and Chula stuck. Her nickname is "Goat" though, that's what my friends call her.  My nieces call her Chew.

Edited by Chula

Echo got his name because when he was a little puppy and would whine it would literally sound like it was Echoing!!

Larka-my favorite book is about a white brown eyed wolf and as larka grew a little and opened her eyes she reminded me of this wolf in the book so I named her after her

Meeka-she was almost 5 months and her sister (larka) already had a name so I needed to find her one quick so found it online :)

When I rescued Jake, his name was Harrison... I decided I couldn't live with that, and he didn't respond to it at all lol. So I changed it to something short that had a harder/sharper consonant sound to grab his attention.

Then I meet my boyfriend(now fiance) named Jake  :wacko: Everyone asks if I named the dog after him lol. It's a good thing they both have completely different nicknames :D

Kallie is named in the Canadian Aboriginal Iroquois, which means "beautiful racoon child". My husband Bill is Metis. She had a total racoon mask when she was little (all faded now).

Also touches on the Hindu goddess, Kali, goddess of family, all things natural, from the earth.

Diamond came with his name, since he too is a rescue :) Probably because he has this diamond-shaped marking on his forehead. Always thought the name's kinda girly but it just stuck  :lol: he's as precious as one after all  :wub: however, because of this name, I have never met a person that can guess Diamond's gender correctly on first try  :rolleyes: he's my little pretty boy LOL

We decided on Zara because she had such a strong mask around her eyes as a pup and reminded us of Zoro (Zara seeming like a female version I guess!!). I wanted to avoid giving her a 'human' name but it suits her and we love it now. We also considered Holly because she was our Christmas pup :)

My nieces call her 'Zawa', it's very cute and my OH calls her that when he's patting her goodnight!

We wrote a list ov names down but with mum being fussy she didn't like any ov them :rolleyes: then suddenly blurted out blaze! So that's how he got his name , with skyla I was sitting in my room looking at a pic ov her on my laptop n thought she looked like a fluffy cloud with sky blue eyes so mentioned to mum how about sky but mum said it's too common n then again just suddenly said skyla! So that was that lol

Bear was a tiny pup with the largest paws I've ever seen. I said they were bear like and the name was born.

Ice has very pale blue eyes, icy blue so that was the reasoning behind his name.

I quite like nature themed names which is where Brooke and willow (rip) came from.

Sasha our cat was already named when we adopted her, storm is grey like a rain cloud, and cookie is cream and reddy brown swirled like a biscuit. We kinda call it as we see it.

We were never seriously going to call our first rescue Snowy and luckily he didn't respond to that: Luka

We were going to change the name of our second rescue from Skye but we could never really agree to another: Skye

storm we picked just coz it popped into my head on the way to viee the pups.

angel is a rescue and my angel so i kept it.

and aurora is so named after the northern lights obviously lol.

her kennel name has scarlet in it as that was our second choice.x