Husky Gets Eaten By An Alligator

Frenchie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2377774/Beloved-80lb-husky-snatched-eaten-TWELVE-FOOT-alligator-playing-fetch-owners-North-Carolina.html

So so sad :(

Poor boy, rest in peace Simba xx

However I do think they were wrong in killing the alligator, it is nature, he wasn't going to know the difference between a prey and a pet dog.

''Its dangerous'' well of course its dangerous its a frikking alligator, I don't know of an alligator not being considered dangerous. Its not like they were going to relocate it near humans..

And I do believe they have reserves for alligators in the US? I think they just wanted to display the huge creature in their museam to attract people.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand both sides of killing the alligator and not killing it. Its really sad that it was someone dog, that in itself shouldn't be reason to kill it though. BUT, at the same time, if its eating a dog, what stopping it from eating a toddler or even an 8 year old? Again, the reptile isn't going to tell the difference between a child and food...

Unfortunately, where there is one, there are others. I hope no more pets or heaven forbid, children will become victims from this area.

I understand both sides of killing the alligator and not killing it. Its really sad that it was someone dog, that in itself shouldn't be reason to kill it though. BUT, at the same time, if its eating a dog, what stopping it from eating a toddler or even an 8 year old? Again, the reptile isn't going to tell the difference between a child and food...

Unfortunately, where there is one, there are others. I hope no more pets or heaven forbid, children will become victims from this area.

Yes, but what bothers me is they could have relocated it or simply banned the area to people, if we killed everything that caused a threat to children we wouldn't be left with much in the world, I just think killing it because its dangerous was just plain stupid, humans need to realize that the earth doesn't belong to us and sometimes we need to back off and leave nature to it, we have plenty more space :) It doesn't take much to put a sign up ''Alligators in area, do not swim or go near the lake'' and if they still went there then its their own fault and stupidity, can't blame the animal.

I do agree though, there's bound to be more than one..

Having lived for the better part of 30 years on the Gulf Coast of Texas, I've come to have a hearty respect for the animals that live in the water.  I've seen people who take their water dogs to wetland parks and then wonder why the dog got eaten (thank the gods, I've never seen an attack)

I suppose that after they had been hunted to extinction in that area, it might be considered safe to allow a dog in the water ... but *I* wouldn't.

I took my lab from Houston over to central Louisiana and stopped at the Sabine River (known 'gator territory) and was playing fetch with her when I thoughtlessly tossed the ball into the water - it was hot, thinking I'd give her a chance to cool off - she started paddling out and reality struck, she got the ball and back to shore safely but my heart was in my throat until she had all four on the ground again.

I do feel for the people involved, that had to be horrific ... the normal warning, "If you don't know the water, don't go in!" should apply in all cases.

Having lived for the better part of 30 years on the Gulf Coast of Texas, I've come to have a hearty respect for the animals that live in the water. I've seen people who take their water dogs to wetland parks and then wonder why the dog got eaten (thank the gods, I've never seen an attack)

I suppose that after they had been hunted to extinction in that area, it might be considered safe to allow a dog in the water ... but *I* wouldn't.

I took my lab from Houston over to central Louisiana and stopped at the Sabine River (known 'gator territory) and was playing fetch with her when I thoughtlessly tossed the ball into the water - it was hot, thinking I'd give her a chance to cool off - she started paddling out and reality struck, she got the ball and back to shore safely but my heart was in my throat until she had all four on the ground again.

I do feel for the people involved, that had to be horrific ... the normal warning, "If you don't know the water, don't go in!" should apply in all cases.

Couldn't have said it better! :)

I never was a big fan of killing a creature for just surviving, we really can't expect them to know the difference between humans and their pets. On the other hand, what can you really do...you KNOW a dangerous animal is right in the midst and you do nothing? Then when the gator eats a child...people will cry and cast stones for not doing anything. 

I personally wish they could be relocated, but I know that's unlikely...that would take time and money, in a world ran by both. 

I don't often do virtually back to back postings but I feel the need to in this ...

We live in a world that we share with nature.  I can't think of anyplace where there aren't some animals - some more dangerous than others - and we just can't feasibly "relocate" all of them, there isn't enough world left to safely relocate them where they could survive and still have room for us (humans) to live. 

I've been to nature parks that have signs that say "Be Aware of your surroundings!" and seen people bit by snakes that they shouldn't have been anywhere close to.  There are 'gators as far north as the DelMarVa (Delaware / Maryland / Virginia ) peninsula and in the Chesepeake Bay - you shouldn't just let your family pets (who may really have no idea about their vicious "friends") go wandering freely if you want them back.

Where I am now, in the desert, we have cougars, coyotes, bears, wolves, snakes and spiders - and I had to learn the hard way that I can't let my dogs run.

I presume that you in the UK also have your 'critters'.  While I've seen pictures of beautiful country there, how much of it can you really dedicate to "protection" areas for the wild ones??

I never was a big fan of killing a creature for just surviving, we really can't expect them to know the difference between humans and their pets. On the other hand, what can you really do...you KNOW a dangerous animal is right in the midst and you do nothing? Then when the gator eats a child...people will cry and cast stones for not doing anything.

I personally wish they could be relocated, but I know that's unlikely...that would take time and money, in a world ran by both.

When I went to Australia, there were whole areas fenced off with signs all around warning about not entering as it was a crocodile area, in all the years only a few trespassed and were attacked/killed, well it was their own fault, they were warned. I think as long as people are properly warned then its they're responsible for their life.

It doesn't cost much to fence off an area and put signs up :)

Killing this one isn't going to solve the problem, it didn't appear by magic, there's bound to be more, they can't kill them all :/

But I am completely biased on this subject lol

When I went to Australia, there were whole areas fenced off with signs all around warning about not entering as it was a crocodile area, in all the years only a few trespassed and were attacked/killed, well it was their own fault, they were warned. I think as long as people are properly warned then its they're responsible for their life.

It doesn't cost much to fence off an area and put signs up :)

Killing this one isn't going to solve the problem, it didn't appear by magic, there's bound to be more, they can't kill them all :/

But I am completely biased on this subject lol

I personally wouldn't care if the area was fenced off or not, common sense should tell me I live in an area with gators and should be cautious. I think there are probably cases where we have no choice, but things like above seem to have become the 'go to' plan without so much as  blink of an eye. I was watching a show awhile back at my parents called the exterminator [i think?] and whenever they caught a gator over so many feet [think it was 6 but I could be wrong], they automatically killed them. These were gators that didn't even kill a pet or person, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I just remember thinking that was pretty crappy....but we live in a world where man put themselves above all else. How many species have we wiped out because of it.

I'm not disagreeing with you either [though I didn't think I was regardless], just saying the reality is pretty sucky. Many, if not most people, would rather see the croc shot than relocated. Fear can be a dangerous thing. 

While this is heartbreaking, I can see both sides of the 'kill or don't kill alligator party.'

On one hand, it was partially the owners' fault. I know they took their dog there everyday and etc, but that is no excuse in my opinion. I know of all the critters in my area that could pose a threat to myself or my dog, and while I frequent one of those places ( coyotes in area), I never take him during times when they will be around and looking for food.

I've been camping with my dog where there have been bears, wolves, and venomous snakes. Even if I may be familiar with the area, I am still very vigilant and he's never let off his leash. Even if he wasn't a husky I wouldn't let him off the leash in the woods.

Alligators will eat anything that plops in the water. Birds, deer, people - they don't discriminate. Knowing that, the alligator attacked because it was hungry, then it quickly left the area, it didn't stick around and show 'aggression'. It shouldn't have been killed - and it only was because it killed somebody's pet. I bet if the same thing happened to a random bird or deer, they wouldn't have cared because it is "nature".

Well, in places like that, nature rules. And if you don't follow by its rules, things like this can happen.

If alligators weren't known to be in the area, then that's another story. Signs should have been posted, warning people about the danger. 

I'm just speculating here, but I believe the real reason the alligator was killed was due to money. The museum could have offered a lot of money for the 'gator. And, as we all know, money makes things go round. 

when in florida me and ex him indoors hired a canoe and paddled around, we saw a man and his son swimming I was like fookins, no way would I be in the water then ha ha haaaaaa we went around the corner where an eight foot gator was sunbathing on the sandbank with its gob wide open. that must be the first time in history that a canoe has wheelied! 

When I was in Australia on a yacht on the barrier reef we anchored off shore and had to swim in. not at all comfortable with sharks about but hey ho. one day I was half way to the boat when I saw four or five fins heading towards me. omg they say don't splash but sod it the crawl is way faster than the breast stroke lol. when I was on deck it turned out to be three huge rays bimbling along. anyway I digress RIP simba

I don't know much about alligators but I know a bit about crocs. They are supreme hunters, intelligent and very opportunistic. Crocs are protected in Australia and the numbers are getting out of control in the north, so much so that they are moving to areas where they have previously not been. 

Usually Australians will know that you don't go swimming in salt water rivers and estuaries in the north. But recently a young Aboriginal girl was taken by a "Salty" in a freshwater billabong. One of the issues with Crocs and I presume gators, is that once they have success with a style of hunting is that they will use this method again. They are very very patient and will lay in position for days on end waiting for a similar opportunity to present itself. 

Shark attacks are steadily increasing in my home town, last year we had 6 fatalities in around 6 months. I know many fishermen who say the numbers are out of control since hunting was banned in the 70's. The same thing is happening with crocs, albeit at a much lower number, primarily due to the remoteness of areas they live, but this is changing.

Anyway, my opinion does differ from many in my country as especially those from abroad, I am 100% pro culling of these animals that hunt in areas frequented by humans. The Croc sanctuaries and full and 90% of their natural habitat is completely intact. I don't profess to know the situation in the USA, so my opinions are more based on the Aussie debates, but I feel there maybe some similarities. 

...so sad that the dog was taken RIP  :(

WHile I agree that it was not the right thing to do necessarily killing it. it could have been a child. would the response be the same?

I doubt it.

It seems like the response is because its "just a dog" although we all know its not, its a loved family member.

If it had been my dog, yes I would want the gator dead.

Ugh. I hate sharks as well. Watching the show River Monsters didn't really help that. There was one episode about bull sharks going into fresh waters and traveling up rivers. There have been reports of sharks in the great lakes and the Mississippi River in St. Louis. St. Louis is two hours from me. To me, that's absolutely terrifying! We are no where NEAR the ocean!

This happened about 12 miles from us. We have never walked Kato around that part of the River, but we do walk him further down the river on base. After hearing about this I know I will never walk Kato close to that river again. I couldn't imagine walking either of my pups by the river and all of a sudden they get taken by an alligator. I feel like they killed the alligator because they don't want to risk it taking another pet or even a child.

This happened about 12 miles from us. We have never walked Kato around that part of the River, but we do walk him further down the river on base. After hearing about this I know I will never walk Kato close to that river again. I couldn't imagine walking either of my pups by the river and all of a sudden they get taken by an alligator. I feel like they killed the alligator because they don't want to risk it taking another pet or even a child.

Wow, that's close. Is the river very large? Based on the video it looks more like a creek than a river.

'Gators will often head to a smaller stream or cul de sac where the water's sluggish because it's warmer than most larger streams and rivers.  Makes for a bad combination when someone's walking along a stream in the woods....

Do they breed in smaller streams Al?

I was telling my hubs about this story and he said there is a pond with confirmed gators in it less than 10 miles from my house. :o