Water?

itssimplyme

Ever since Kato was a little pup he has not liked the water :( . He hates taking baths, so I usually sit on the side of the tub to comfort him. He will not go in pools, lakes, or rivers. The day the movers had came to pack things up Kato was outside and decided he loved being in the rain instead of under the patio. Our friend has Kato's sister and she LOVES the water. He will, of course, go in if he is with a pup that loves the water. I just wanted to see if this was common or not. Is there anything I can do to get him use to the water?

I have two opposites.

Shadow LOVES the hose, and the shower... hates the bath and paddling pools and lakes etc etc 

Skye loves the paddling pool and rivers etc but hates running water so the hose, shower, bath tap etc she is scared of.

All of mine LOVE running water. If I have the hose or bathtub on, they all come running to get a drink.  But Nikko won't lay down in water, he will only jump in his kiddie pool for a minute and get back out.

Glala and Dana jump at every opportunity (literally!) to get into the water when they're near a lake. I usually need to strategically avoid them while walking. If they need to choose between a cat running away or water, they'd choose for the later  :o

(Old photo. I'm smart enough to not try this with all three now or I'd go wakeboarding!  :rofl: )

post-2355-0-78037700-1374957367_thumb.jp

My boy, Luka, loves the water and will want to go in whatever the weather (yup, that's snow!)

th__MG_4690.jpg

Mila hates it and will paddle but even attempts to avoid wet grass (here walking ON water rather than IN)

th__MG_7473.jpg

Neeka adores swimming, especially to fetch a stick

th__MG_6486.jpg

Skye, on the right, hasn't really made up her mind - has swum but prefers to paddle

th__MG_4301.jpg

Mine all love the sea, streams, brooks, dams etc but give them a paddling pool in the garden to cool off in this heat & they use it to drink out of!

The day we rescued Diesel, he had lived on an island for 4.5 yrs then lived in a seaside resort for 4 months prior to us going for him, we thought he'd be great with water - how wrong were we! He squealed & screamed like he was being tortured, poor lad when we stopped at Colwyn Bay for a toilet stop for them; but now he is a real water baby, he's usually the first one in the water!

Ever since Kato was a little pup he has not liked the water :( . He hates taking baths, so I usually sit on the side of the tub to comfort him. He will not go in pools, lakes, or rivers. The day the movers had came to pack things up Kato was outside and decided he loved being in the rain instead of under the patio. Our friend has Kato's sister and she LOVES the water. He will, of course, go in if he is with a pup that loves the water. I just wanted to see if this was common or not. Is there anything I can do to get him use to the water?

Sarah hated water until she was a year and a half old. Then, one hot summer day, she launched herself into my grandmother's in-ground swimming pool and decided that water is a great thing so long as no soap is involved.

Give him time. He may be one of those dogs who just doesn't like water.

Get a kiddie pool, put a couple of inches of water in it, and throw his favorite toy into the middle of the pool. That might help.

Mine loves all water, from jumping in puddles to swimming in lakes. She will lay in her padding pool, and stand happily while I soak her with a hose.

But she HATES getting in the bathtub. Terrified of the tub. She gets her baths outside with the hose.

It's crazy to see that some Huskies like the water, but only certain kinds. I am starting to think Kato is picky with his water :lol:. Yesterday we decided to take him to the dog beach on base and suprisingly he went in and didn't just pull away from the water.

rsz_943697_10152075971698502_1737917702_

He was afraid of the waves at first, but after he warmed up to them he LOVED it.

rsz_1005463_10152075964928502_736933653_

:dog3:

rsz_1001537_10152075968038502_252490831_

rsz_971928_10152075966108502_530427341_n

rsz_1524275_10152075965553502_1885407159

I can't get over this face ^ :yahoo:

• 6 months later...

my malamute loves the water , i think he thinks hes a duck because when he see some water he will drag me to it lol .attachicon.gif1506135_1020208939939132_1514185723_o.jpg

I have a malamute aswell except he hates getting wet.

Bath time is the worst, he screams and screams. I've tried making it fun for him by feeding him some ham while he's getting washed but he doesn't eat it and just wants to get out :S