Bil-Jac Grain Free Food

Jay

I was at PetSmart today and there was a Bil-Jac rep there selling their dog food.  I listed to her promotion of their food, and wondered if anyone else has tried the grain free food?  http://www.bil-jac.com/dog-food-grain-free.php

I have mine on TOTW, and they do fine, so I don't have any intentions of switching them, especially since their food is WAY more expensive than TOTW.  TOTW 30lb bag costs be about 45 USD, and Bil-Jac grain free is 24lbs for 60 USD.  I looked it up on dogfoodadvisor.com and it doesn't look like they have reviewed it; they only reviewed the regular formula, which they rated as below average and not recommended.  

Just curious if anyone else has used this food and if so, what they thought. THey gave us 3 1lb samples that I plan on using as treats.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like any food with yeast in it, and since it's one of the first few ingredients in it, it's a red flag for me. Looks like it's mostly chicken, pea starch, fish meal, beet pulp and yeast. At least the protein is decent at 30% and fat is low at 15%. personally it does not look to be worth the price

If PetSmart is selling it, it really can't be all that great. I had a Blue Buffalo representative at mine, they sure know how to appeal to their listeners but that's why I find doing my own research so important. I say yay for TOTW, your pups and my pups love it ;)

Yea the only petsmart food that is worth the slightest look is Castor and Pollux. Love their new grain free duck line with 37% protein. Of course, the fat was too high for Cato's tummy, but still a good food.  When it comes to chain pet stores though, Petco has better products :)

I won't even do PetCo since they don't carry Earthborn, TOTW, or any brands I would prefer. 'Hills Science Diet' and 'Natural Balance' are not something I would feed. Pet Supplies Plus if you have one near you always carries holistic brands for me.

They sell Merrick grain free, which is pretty great food, along with natures variety. They also sell solid gold, which is made by Diamond, and that food is pretty good but it's pretty expensive.  The only place near me that sells earthborn is petland, but I've switched to Horizon Legacy since my absolutely love it

I use Taste of the Wild, and there are a few stores around me that carry it, but it is cheapest on Amazon.com.  I use the Bill-Jac liver treats and those are fine, but I doubt I would ever switch food.  If anything, I would change to the Pacific Stream version of TOTW

Ugh chicken allergies are the worst, as everything has chicken in it these days  :wacko:

I've also been trying to stay away from all grain and potato since cato gets some deadly gas when he eats potato based foods  :facepalm:

To me, if Dog food has a commercial on TV or a rep in a store... they're trying too hard to sell it. Like Blue Buffalo or Hills, or Pedigree. I heard of Taste of the Wild from here and from a few friends. I am lucky I have a store here that carries it for $39 once a month. I stock up. Can't beat that price!

To me, if Dog food has a commercial on TV or a rep in a store... they're trying too hard to sell it. Like Blue Buffalo or Hills, or Pedigree. I heard of Taste of the Wild from here and from a few friends. I am lucky I have a store here that carries it for $39 once a month. I stock up. Can't beat that price!

There's a store somewhere in Michigan that stocks it full-time that I believe is called K9 Specialties. TOTW, all flavors, $38 for a 30 pound bag. Next time I go up to Michigan I'm hope to buy a couple bags this October and then save up enough to buy 15 bags (8 months worth) or however many I can buy without them expiring and bringing them back down to Ohio with me next year, its the cheapest option even with the price of gas plus we'd be going up there regardless for our urban mushing trips.

Wow thats a great price! Tractor supply here sells it for about $46 for a 30lb bag, and online is around the same price. Cheapest price so far is $45.50 at the nearest feed store. 
Horizon Legacy is about $43.50 for a 25lb bag (not including shipping), but it's been called the next best thing to Orijen, at a way cheaper price, so I'm all good with paying that much for this food. Their other food, Pulsar, is $35 for a 25lb bag and pretty much the same, but lower protein. Just so glad this food doesn't give them fish breath like the fish flavored Earthborn Holistic did x.x

Oh, if you have a big freezer you could store some of the dry food in there to make it last longer!

I've actually never heard of that, I would do it if it weren't for the fact the only reason my dogs aren't on raw is due to my lack of a big freezer. Damn freezers xP

There's a store somewhere in Michigan that stocks it full-time that I believe is called K9 Specialties. TOTW, all flavors, $38 for a 30 pound bag. Next time I go up to Michigan I'm hope to buy a couple bags this October and then save up enough to buy 15 bags (8 months worth) or however many I can buy without them expiring and bringing them back down to Ohio with me next year, its the cheapest option even with the price of gas plus we'd be going up there regardless for our urban mushing trips.

That is a great price! We get it at Family Farm & Home, which is about 5 miles from us. We also get our Organic Chicken Feed there, too! They seem to be a lot cheaper than Tractor Supply for a lot of things! However, some people say they're more expensive with things... I know their clothes are a lot cheaper than TSC!

I've actually never heard of that, I would do it if it weren't for the fact the only reason my dogs aren't on raw is due to my lack of a big freezer. Damn freezers xP

Yea that's one of the reasons why we decided not to go with raw, the freezer thing was such a pain D:

sometimes you can find one for sale on craigslist for cheap, but even then its a matter of where to put it :/

Home Depot always has really good deals on freezers. We got ours like 100 bucks off.

Yea that's one of the reasons why we decided not to go with raw, the freezer thing was such a pain D:

sometimes you can find one for sale on craigslist for cheap, but even then its a matter of where to put it :/

Yeah basically my apartment is already too small for all the crap I already have. I've decided as soon as I move out, a freezer is #1 on my list of things to get. 

Amazon sells it for 44.99, free shipping and no tax so that's like getting it for about 40-42 at the store depending on your sales tax

Soon Amazon will start charging sales tax... or you will be given a tax form and you'll have to say you bought X amount of dollars online and then your state will charge you sales tax on it.

Lame, if you ask me!

TOTW Costs alot over here in the UK. I currently use James Wellbeloved Turkey & Rice.

Composition rice, turkey meal, oats, pea protein, turkey fat, whole linseed, turkey gravy, alfalfa meal, natural seaweed, sodium chloride, omega oil supplement, chicory extract, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, yucca extract

Minimum levels turkey (26%), rice (26%), oats (15%), linseed (3%), turkey gravy (2%), alfalfa (1%), seaweed (0.5%), yucca extract (0.02%), chicory extract (0.2%)

Additives per kg antioxidants: E306/Natural antioxidant, 150mg, Vitamins: E672/Vitamin A, 15.000 iu, E671/Vitamin D3, 2,250 iu, Trace elements: E1/iron, 40mg, E2/iodine, 2mg, E4/copper, 5mg, E5/manganese, 25mg, E6/zinc, 100mg, E8/selenium, 0.2mg Analytical Constituents protein 30.0%, crude fibres 2.4%, fat content 15%, crude ash 7.1%, Vitamin E 180mg/kg, omega-3 fatty acids 1.1%, omega-6 fatty acids 3.5% - See more at: http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog-food/puppy/turkey-rice-puppy#sthash.qHdBRzUt.dpuf

Technically, your supposed to claim that on your income taxes at the end of the year...but I don't know anyone that does.  I live in Indiana, and they passed a law that goes into effect on Jan 1, 2014 that they will collect sales tax at the time of purchase.

There are 9 states that currenly collect it, and another 5 that will start collecting it soon

Soon Amazon will start charging sales tax... or you will be given a tax form and you'll have to say you bought X amount of dollars online and then your state will charge you sales tax on it.

Lame, if you ask me!