Why That Breeder?

Kauro

My breeder is getting ready to have puppies again. I'm just wondering what do you look for when chosening a breeder? For me it wasn't much. I liked the fact she kept a web site that she kept updated every week about the pups. Also the price was decent. But the main reason she seemed like a nice person. That goes along way for me. She made me sign a contract saying I won't breed. I felt that kinda odd since this was my first dog and had no plan to breed. No biggie. The strange thing tho if I wanted to breed if I understand right I would have to use her name or something with the puppies. I felt that odd as well. But over all I'm happy with my breeder... And really just wanted to know what everyone looks into finding a breeder... Since ill be looking again in about a year.

I don't go to breeders as I am all for rescuing, but I have met people who breed and if I had to choose a breeder for a dog I would look at if they care about the pups or if they are more about pay me this and take the dog and I don't care if I ever see or hear from them again. It kind of matters to me what kind of home they are willing the pup to go to. We rescued our dog, but I wish someone would have been did you do research on the breed, do you know what you are getting yourselves into, what type of home life do you have, etc. that way they know the dog is going to a good home instead of someone who has no idea what they are doing and then give up on the dog.

The first thing I look for in a breeder is what do they do with their dogs....are their dogs participating in some sort of breed activity like sledding, carting, weight pulling, or conformation showing.  How are these dogs measured to the breed standard.  If they do nothing more than let their male breed their female because they can I keep looking.  Next I want to see that they are screening their breeding stock for hereditary genetic disorders OFA Hips and CERF/SHOR eyes.   From there I'd like to get a feel for what they are doing with their breeding program.  Why these dogs together.  What are they trying to keep, what are they trying to improve upon.  Again, I want to see someone who has a clear breeding plan, not just a male and female dogs.  I want the opportunity to meet the parents, see their conditions, whelping and puppy raising areas, cleanliness of the kennel areas, and play area availability.  I'd like to see the contract I'm getting into, the expectations.  If the breeders expectation is give me a puppy with full registration and no contract, big red flag.

I found this on the internet that lists questions you should ask:

• In addition to breeding, do you engage is other dog-related activities, such as, conformation shows, field trials, earthdog tests, agility, obedience, etc.?
    • If they are involved in activities with their dogs, it is less likely that they are breeding solely to turn a profit and more likely that they value their dogs as thinking, working, and loving companions.
  • How many dogs do you own and how often do you breed them?
    • They should not have so many dogs that they cannot give each one individual attention, and they most certainly should not be churning out puppies with no regard to the health and well-being of the dam.
  • Are they enthusiastic about arranging a visit to their facilities?
    • (Most good breeders will insist on it). Once you have arrived, take a good look around. Is the facility clean and neat? Are the dogs healthy? You should meet at least one of the breeding pair on the premises. Observe their behavior and physical condition.
  • Have the sire and dam (and puppies, in some instances) been tested for any genetic diseases that are prevalent in that particular breed? Are you shown the health certificates?
    • Certification is a source of pride for breeders. They will openly discuss the disorders (all breeds have them) common in their breed and what they are doing to prevent them.
  • Will the breeder guarantee the health of the puppy to a reasonable age?
    • A two-year guarantee against genetic and congenital defects is becoming more and more the norm. Not all disorders can be predicted and prevented, but a good breeder will stand behind the dogs they produce and offer assistance if a problem arises.
  • Will the breeder be available to answer any questions you may have throughout the lifetime of the dog?
    • In essence, when you purchase a puppy or dog from a responsible breeder, you should also be gaining an invaluable source of information. Morning, noon, or night, they will be there to answer your questions and help guide you through the trials of dog ownership.
  • Will they take back the dog in the event that you are no longer able to keep it?
    • All responsible breeders should have a take back or buy back policy which insists that you contact them at any time for any reason you are unable to care for the dog.
  • Do they use a sales contract to spell out the terms of the sale and allow each party to define their expectations of the transaction?
    • Ask for a copy of their contract and talk about the terms therein. A good contract can help you avoid misunderstandings, but remember that a contract is only as good as the two people that sign it.

I have encountered breeders' Web sites, where it is obvious that the are breeding for the money. Some of them even show their dogs. Here are a couple of red flags for me.

More than three or four breeding females.

More than three or four breeding males.

More than one litter per year per breeding female.

Multiple KC registrations available.

No eye or hip tests.

No restrictions on the buyer.

Unwilling to let you visit their kennel.

Guarantees blue eyes.

Charges more for "rare colors" or blue eyes.

Could care less about the puppy once it is yours.

Zoya's breeder does not show. She does eye and hip scores. She studies the genetics of her dogs and breeds for health and temperament. She breeds a female, then skips two seasons before breeding again. She will move heaven and earth if one of her pups ever ends up in a shelter. (I have seen her rescue her pups several times.) When we acquired Zoya, we had to provide a letter from our vet, qualifying our ability to provide and care for Zoya, and sign a contract that we would not breed, and if we ever could no longer care for Zoya, that we would return Zoya to the breeder.

One of the biggest things in our book is honesty. If there were ever a problem in their line, we were told. If they made mistakes in choosing dogs to breed, we were told. 

one of my favorite ethics list : http://www.dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html

www.htpuppiescb.com is a great site for ethical breeders. and all of the people who register have to prove they health test and must give the results. They also keep a good collection of articles on responsible breeding practices and red flags.

One of the biggest red flags I see in this breed is when pets are bred to produce more pets. Rather than trying to improve the siberian husky and proving their stock through conformation and or work,  the dogs are bred by temperament and aesthetics.