Poor Balto

CARRINGTON

Well I was rushed in to see my OB this morning as I was bleeding a little. The baby looks fine but he cannot figure out why I am having to bleeding but doesn't think it is anything too serious it may be from something that isn't even pregnancy related. However, I am put on take it easy which is almost like bed rest except I don't have to be in the bed all day. I cannot lift anything over 10 pounds, I cannot go for walks, I have to watch everything I eat, I can't take a bath as that may cause body temperature to stay increased so I can only take a little hotter then luke warm shower, no standing for long periods of time, and the list goes on. I feel so bad for Balto!!! This means that during the day while I am home with him I can only take him out to potty (I told my doctor I have a dog) but no walks not even a small walk to the mailbox in case he sniffs something or sees something and tries to take off and jerks me. This means we have to do somethings in the house but even that is limited!!!! Right now Balto doesn't seem to really care as he is passed out asleep since it is raining outside but I just feel so bad for him. My husband will walk him for an hour or more a night to help with his energy level, but until then I am not sure what else to do with him in the house. We work on commands but Balto has a really short attention spand and doing anything training wise for more then 20-30 minutes causes him to no longer care and walk away. He is terrible at hide and go seek, we have tried and even tried him in nosework but he didn't really see the point in it so he just doesn't look and then stares at you like you should give him the treat that you just hid. He doesn't like to play fetch except you throw it once and he plays with himself for 5-10 minutes and then is done. I am just not sure what else to do with him and I feel like a terrible puppy parent

Can you find someone to walk him during the day? Or a doggie daycare he can go to a couple days a week?

We may look into doggy day care I am not sure how we would find dog walkers, our town is a huge college town so I am sure some college kid wants something to do for a little extra cash

What I would do it order some fun toys and things he can play with during the day.  I have deer antlers, and I just recently got some buffalo horns, which they LOVE (http://greatpup.com/water-buffalo-horn-medium-dog-bone/).  You could also get some puzzle toys or other stuff to keep him occupied.  He will adapt, and if he is going to get an hour walk a day I think that would be plenty for him. 

I wouldn't worry, doesn't sound like your being a bad puppy parent!  It's important to take it easy tho!

What I would do it order some fun toys and things he can play with during the day.  I have deer antlers, and I just recently got some buffalo horns, which they LOVE (http://greatpup.com/water-buffalo-horn-medium-dog-bone/).  You could also get some puzzle toys or other stuff to keep him occupied.  He will adapt, and if he is going to get an hour walk a day I think that would be plenty for him. 

I wouldn't worry, doesn't sound like your being a bad puppy parent!  It's important to take it easy tho!

That is a great idea!!! He loves these weird filled bones that are like cow bones sawed off and filled with something like peanut butter and they take him forever to get the stuff out so that may be a great idea for him.

sorry didn't realise he was only a pup, do you drive would he like a car ride

Yes Balto is only 9 months. Yes I drive and yes he also likes car rides (unless raining then he hates them since he cannot really see out the window with all the rain)

I buy those ones at PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11783266&lmdn=Product+Type&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo)

I get the big ones and they last for at least a week!  And they love them.  I bet Balto would be content chewing on that all day :)

That is a great idea!!! He loves these weird filled bones that are like cow bones sawed off and filled with something like peanut butter and they take him forever to get the stuff out so that may be a great idea for him.

I buy those ones at PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11783266&lmdn=Product+Type&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo)

I get the big ones and they last for at least a week!  And they love them.  I bet Balto would be content chewing on that all day :)

YES!!! Those are exactly what we get him and he loves the new ones. He chews on it for hours trying to get the stuff out. That may be a good option for him!!!! Today it is rainy thank goodness so he just wants to sleep.

Stock up on em lol.

Sometimes PetSmart has really good sales on them.  I have gotten the big ones for half off before.  But when we went there Saturday they were full price

YES!!! Those are exactly what we get him and he loves the new ones. He chews on it for hours trying to get the stuff out. That may be a good option for him!!!! Today it is rainy thank goodness so he just wants to sleep.

He doesn't like hide and go seek, what about shell games ? I got some lightweight plastic cups put them on the floor and hid treats underneath, bear seems to enjoy it, we treat it as a rainy day game. LOL I remember having a rainy day box for my kids when they were little,  same thing just different contents. I did get a book off amazon, brain games for dogs, there's a section on things you can do and play from an armchair, might be an idea.

He doesn't like hide and go seek, what about shell games ? I got some lightweight plastic cups put them on the floor and hid treats underneath, bear seems to enjoy it, we treat it as a rainy day game. LOL I remember having a rainy day box for my kids when they were little,  same thing just different contents. I did get a book off amazon, brain games for dogs, there's a section on things you can do and play from an armchair, might be an idea.

Yeah Balto just doesn't see the point in hide and seek, he just thinks that you should just give him the treat after he sits or lays instead of hiding it. We may try the cup game that sounds like fun.

Do some training with him , mental stimulation is a great way to tire them out , it will keep them occupied and it will increase your bond :-) maybe try n play fetch with him too inside with u sitting down if he will play n you can do it without worrying he will knock something over