The Crate Escape!

Chula

Sometime in the middle of the night, Chula got out of her crate. It's like four feet from my bed so the gate must not have been shut properly.

After a moment of panic over what she might have destroyed, I found her curled up on the sofa at 5:30 this morning, looking snug as a bug in a rug.

Thank goodness she didn't tear anything up! I don't think she's ready to sleep outside the crate regularly, but how did you decide to ditch the crate at night? If you have, that is.

Nikko was about 6 months when I let him sleep outside his crate, and Yukon was about 4 months. But I still keep them confined to the bedroom.  I have a baby gate at the top of the stairs and keep the other door closed so they don't have free rein of the house.  I haven't had any problems, they sleep all night

Ive been thinking when i am living on my own i might have them out at night so that they are then only crated in the day people who do this do you get any issues atall? I just wonder if it will make them not want to be in the crate in the day.

Ive been thinking when i am living on my own i might have them out at night so that they are then only crated in the day people who do this do you get any issues atall? I just wonder if it will make them not want to be in the crate in the day.

I think they would enjoy the freedom.

From the sound of it, they are crated all night out for a couple of hours then crated during the day.

Then let out in the evening. I know you give them plenty of walks and love and attention.

But it sounds like they are crated more than they are out.

My guys are never crated except at camp.

I have the dog flap which gives them the freedom day or night to go "bizzness" when they want.

I rarely get any damage and most of that is Darwin knocking over the wheelie bin and ripping up cardboard.

I think they would enjoy the freedom.

From the sound of it, they are crated all night out for a couple of hours then crated during the day.

Then let out in the evening. I know you give them plenty of walks and love and attention.

But it sounds like they are crated more than they are out.

My guys are never crated except at camp.

I have the dog flap which gives them the freedom day or night to go "bizzness" when they want.

I rarely get any damage and most of that is Darwin knocking over the wheelie bin and ripping up cardboard.

Yeah they are tbh i did want to start letting them have more freedome but Rob had said no. So i think once i have moved and i am sorted i will be doing this im not 100 percent sure if i will leave them out during the day as of yet after Shadows episode of trying to destroy the door the other day... then again if the door was open he may not have done it who knows! Plus skye was still crated so could just played with her if she was out etc i will see :)

Yeah they are tbh i did want to start letting them have more freedome but Rob had said no. So i think once i have moved and i am sorted i will be doing this im not 100 percent sure if i will leave them out during the day as of yet after Shadows episode of trying to destroy the door the other day... then again if the door was open he may not have done it who knows! Plus skye was still crated so could just played with her if she was out etc i will see :)

That's exactly it my 3 can run and play in the secure garden or lie indoor on the cool flooring

(even before the laminate I had cool tiles in the kitchen.)

I've stairgated the stairs so they can't get upstairs.

But the Dogflap means they can still run around to their hearts content.

That's exactly it my 3 can run and play in the secure garden or lie indoor on the cool flooring

(even before the laminate I had cool tiles in the kitchen.)

I've stairgated the stairs so they can't get upstairs.

But the Dogflap means they can still run around to their hearts content.

Not sure i could trust Skye with something like that unless i built a secure run outside as she barks at all dogs going past and trys to dig to so it is possible but would have to be fort knox :) Shadow doesnt try and escape ever lol unless its a crate!

But full run at home i would be happy to do or atleast trial! I think they would be alot happier and so would i knowing they can roam about. I let them have full roam downstairs when i am in now and i get no issues atall i can go and have a shower etc come back no damage or destruction anywhere

I'd like her to be free at night, my concern is that she doesn't just shred things, she eats what she shreds. And OH is actually allergic to her so she can't sleep on the bed. He's ok with fur but if she licks him he gets super itchy.

Edited by Chula

Not sure i could trust Skye with something like that unless i built a secure run outside as she barks at all dogs going past and trys to dig to so it is possible but would have to be fort knox :) Shadow doesnt try and escape ever lol unless its a crate!

But full run at home i would be happy to do or atleast trial! I think they would be alot happier and so would i knowing they can roam about. I let them have full roam downstairs when i am in now and i get no issues atall i can go and have a shower etc come back no damage or destruction anywhere

My guys only have access to the back garden, it's fully fenced with closed board fencing 6foot high

They can hear the people on either sides garden but can't see them.

I don't think I could ever trust Nikko to not be crated when I am not home.  Kodiak would be fine, and I think Yukon would be fine too.  I would also be too nervous that Kodiak would fight too.  He has gotten into several fights with Nikko and a couple with Yukon.  He has been good for the last month, but I am not at that point yet.

But they just sleep at night anyway, Nikko prefers the floor while Kodiak likes to lay at my feet, and Yukon curls up right on my pillow :)

That way they are only crated for 7 hours per day M-F. 

Yeah, I couldn't leave them all loose during the day, I would not want to know what mayhem would go on!

Kodiak has been good, but he gets grouchy sometimes towards Nikko.  Now, Nikko is obnoxious, and pushes his buttons when he wants to play, but Kodiak is quick to snap back.  I haven't had a fight in awhile, and I am finally able to bring the toys back, but I still have to watch him.  Nikko and Yukon alone are fine together, and have never gotten into a real fight. 

Im lucky in that mine dont fight and are also fine around food with each other etc also so i would still be able to leave them with kongs etc :)

I don't crate Panda at night, but he is confined to my bedroom. He has no problems being in the crate during the day. He was destructive before so i don't really trust him having run of the place while no one is home. 

That being said, i have left him out on occasion alone in the house when the house is empty and he's been fine. Though he does need to have a good 2 hours of exercise prior lol