Do Huskies Get Along With Great Danes?

zoey

We have a 1.5 year old female husky. Shes on the smaller side, only 35lbs. We were considering getting a second dog that is more along the lines of a guard dog but friendly (aka a gentle giant). Our neighbour has a Great Dane and theyve met before with no issues. It seems Great Danes dont really socialize a lot with other dogs. 

Does anyone on here have both breeds? or have any experience with owning both breeds.

Every Great Dane that Nikko's met he has LOVED!! They have always gotten along better than another other breed that I've noticed. There is a lady nearby that has a Great Dane that is Nikko's best friend! And there was one in his class that got along very well with him too.

I've met a few great danes and Mishka always gets along great with them! They seem to have a calming effect on her lol

I love Great Danes, they are such cuddly gentle giants, and they make me laugh with their jumpy run :) lol the only thing that would ''put me off'' is their short life spam :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I've met a few great danes and Mishka always gets along great with them! They seem to have a calming effect on her lol

I love Great Danes, they are such cuddly gentle giants, and they make me laugh with their jumpy run :) lol the only thing that would ''put me off'' is their short life spam :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I know! I love them but only 6-8 year life span :(. Couldn't handle that

Great Danes only live short lives  because of breeding. I know of a couple breeders who breed dogs that consistently live beyond what most GDs reach. The only thing is that despite their history, most modern GDs do not have guardian temperaments.

What kind of guarding are you looking for? I always support the LGD community but they often need more rural homes to thrive. 

We are adding a Central Asian Shepherd dog this fall.

Im not sure what an LGD is?

There short life span is upsetting, 8 years is a short life for a dog. 

The reason we would want something as a "guard dog" is our husky is the friendliest thing on the planet and greets everyone with kisses. She would never know if our family was ever in danger or if an intruder was in the house. I know Great Danes dont offer protection per se but there sheer size is often intimidating to steer away people.

There are about 40 Livestock guardian breeds. Central Asian Shepherd Dogs are one of them. Lets just say our Sibes friendliness is exactly why we are getting one. No one is going to mess with our fence, yard, or house.

check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/LearningAboutLGDs/. There are a couple CA members and if you think a LGD might fit your needs, they can help you find one that will work with your household.

"Legitimate Livestock Guardian Breeds

These are the breeds which qualify as livestock guardian dog breeds, as well as their common abbreviations if any. If you do not see your breed listed here, or if you wish me to use a more accurate name, please let me know. * denotes sub-types within the breed and/or alternative names. 

Aidi

*Atlas

Mountain Dog

Anatolian

Shepherd Dog (ASD)

*Akbash

*Kangal

Armenian

Gampr

Bankhar

Cão

de Castro Laboreiro

Cão

de Gado Transmontano

Caucasian

Ovcharka (CO)

*Nagazi

Central

Asian Shepherd Dog (CAS, CASD)

*Alabai

*Sage Koochee/Kuchi

*Tobet

Estrela

Mountain Dog (EMD)

Great

Pyrenees (GP, Pyr)

Hungarian

Kuvasz

Illyrian

Shepherd

Karakachan

Karaman

Karst

Shepherd

Khyi

Apso

Komondor

(Kom)

Maremma

Sheepdog

Mioritic

Sheepdog

Polish

Tatra Sheepdog (PTS)

Pyrenean

Mastiff (PM)

Rafeiro

Alentejano

Sarplaninac

(Sarpla, Sharpla, Sar)

Slovak

Cuvac

South

Russian Ovcharka (SRO)

Spanish

Mastiff (SM)

Tibetan

Mastiff

Tornjak"

Hmmm, im not sure how well a LGD would fit with our household.....we have no livestock to protect, nor the property for a dog like that. We need a family dog good with small children. We need something that appears intimidating but is friendly with us. 

Ours too, get along GREAT with GD's.

About the best thing ive seen, and am thinking about doing myself. Seeing as MOST people don't know much about Huskys, just buy a Husky on Guard sign, or something similar, and put it out of your house for people to see. It would deter most strangers, since I think most people think huskys are mean.

This is Squeak who lives with 3 Huskies (the previous they had was Bubbles!) and comes on our regular weekly Burnley Husky rescue walks - so reckon they get on (she's always off-lead and very well behaved)

post-1633-0-63846700-1375339822.jpg

They are lush. I pass one in the car on the way to work sometimes but have never met him in person.

I thought they didn't like much excersize so pairing with a husky might not have been the best idea but based on the above comment I must be misinformed

I don't recommend putting up  'on guard' signs for most breeds. It can make your house a target for dog thieves.  

LGDs are gems with kids and their families. In fact When we go out with Anna, (who has no kids) her dogs tend to 'adopt' kids they meet on the walks. That along with a breed trait that doesn't lead them to redirect aggression makes them great for families with kids.   Rather than staying in a constant state of alert, they snooze and reserve energy most of the day. But at the same time could happily go on a 20 mile hike with no problem. A good LGD has plenty of stamina and agility to keep up with a little Siberian, and because they have to work in packs to handle predators, they are great with other dogs in the family.

Another reason we are getting a CAS is the fact that if something they consider a threat comes up to us, their goal isn't to kill it, it is to make it leave. So if whatever it is tries to get away, an LGD will let it. So in a way they train the local predator populations that it isn't worth going to that property for food or anything else (this applies to creepsters and dog thieves too). For predators like coyotes, this means that animals that are persistent to find food near homes are taken out of the population, and also your local 'trained' pack will defend their territory from other packs that don't have that training.

I have seen a lot of bad results from suburban families getting LGDs. In rural areas for stock guarding maybe but as the average family pet? These are dogs that require a higher level of management than most people are capable or willing to provide.

As a deterrent my Sibe was awesome! He's super friendly and would never bite someone and wasn't at all territorial but people were still put off by him. I now have a dog that is actually trained to bite people and having a dog like that is a lot more work than the average person would want to live with or put in the time to train.

Ya I dont want a dog that will actually bite someone lol. 

I guess our Zoey is a lot smaller than the average husky. Zoey is 35lbs and I can hold her in my arms lol. 

71964C32-99B3-4CAA-B10A-C031D4DBA104-555

Heres our Zoey, I love this dog, but she also loves everyone else to. She doesnt know who is a stranger when they come to our house, and just wants to greet everyone with kisses. 

Aww Zoey is beautiful! :wub:

And I know they aren't the same breed, but Nika used to love this Irish Wolfhound that walked around where Danny used to live, and he was a similar size to a GD :)

Nika's always preferred big dogs, smaller dogs scare her :rofl:

Every Husky I know gets on with larger dogs, so go for it :) GD's are terrible guard dogs though from what I've heard, they're just big softies :)

- Caity

Ya I dont want a dog that will actually bite someone lol.

I guess our Zoey is a lot smaller than the average husky. Zoey is 35lbs and I can hold her in my arms lol.

71964C32-99B3-4CAA-B10A-C031D4DBA104-555

Heres our Zoey, I love this dog, but she also loves everyone else to. She doesnt know who is a stranger when they come to our house, and just wants to greet everyone with kisses.

Both of my black Labs were excellent guard dogs ...

With the first, I was living in an apartment complex; there was a park behind the apartments where I'd walk her, but the kids also used it and left cans around.  While walking her one day, I saw a fellow picking up cans to recycle and Lady went trotting out to see what he was doing.  No aggression, just curiosity.  He started to swing the burlap bag of cans at her and she immediately went into "protection mode" - got between me and him, barked and made it real obvious that she was not pleased with his response.  She never offered to bite, she just wanted him to go away.

With the second, I was living in a motor camper and when I was at work she stayed under the trailer.  While I never saw it, I'd been told that she wouldn't let anyone near the trailer when I wasn't home.  One of the fellows who worked in the yard said that she barked at and nipped one of my coworkers who reached up to open the door. (( This coworker was also know to be light fingered, so I was more amused than upset! ))

Kalah (lab) was 13 when I got Misty (Sibe) and they got along marvelously; Misty would sometimes push the play too far and Kalah would tell her to back off but never with more than a growl "Leave me alone!"

I realize this goes a bit off topic from the immediately preceding messages, but Lab are excellent family dogs and as I've seen they also make great protectors.  Well worth the consideration.

Our younger, but bigger boy at 60lbs, is a great "alert" dog. He wont ever attack or bite anyone. But if a stranger comes into the yard, he will bark and howl at them. Happens everytime someone other then a person he knows comes into the yard. He barked/howled at our electric guy when he came to read our meter one morning, I went out and he asked if they were nice. I said yeah they are, they wont bite. As soon as I said that they both started playing with each other (growling and showing teeth)...the electric guy then said yeah they don't look nice, which I replied with a laugh.

must be in the breed sometimes then. Zoey has literally never barked. Im not sure she knows how to bark. The only time she howls is when were driving to the park or day care and she is excited. 

Shes friendly with everyone that comes over. Even if we have a complete stranger come over, shes all over them trying to get kisses and attention. 

We take her to daycare frequently so she is very socialized with people and other dogs.

Luka has always gotten along great with any Great Dane he has met. I love the breed as well but the short life spam is a no go for me.

the short lifespan is upsetting, living only 8 years at most is not the best. they are expensive dogs as well, doulbe the cost of what my husky was.