Kong Filling?

Lukenufc

I'd heard peanut butter was good, do you fill it and then freeze it? Or just give it to them as normal?

if you're leaving for a long period of time and want your dog to have something to keep him busy, then freeze it. But since I fill the Kong just to wake my husky from his beauty sleep I don't freeze it :)

I freeze the kong too, if I am leaving them alone for a long period of time.  If it is just for work I don't even put the kong in there because it's only for a few hours. For example, yesterday they were in their crate for 8 hours so I used them.

Peanut butter freezes well as does cream cheese/cottage cheese, you can also put their regular dog food into the kong, cov er the end with peanut butter and freeze this so not only are they being occupied but they are also getting their meal in this way. Other stuff you could freeze includes: canned pumpkin, chicken stock (just close of the end with a large piece of kibble or something and freeze), mashed banana etc.

If you want it to last longer then you layer the foods e.g. put peanut butter at the bottom then a layer of biscuits then maybe some chunks of fruit or cheese etc. You can also stick half a rawhide bone/raw bone or dog chew into the end once you have finished filling it so your dog has to first remove and eat the bone and then eat whats inside the kong 

:)

• 2 weeks later...

We always fill a kong to get our Sabaka to go to bed.  Normally, we just use "wet" dog food from a can.  He does not get this kind of food for his normal diet.  If we want the kong to last longer, we fill it with a mix of pumpkin, peanut butter and plain yogurt.  It freezes well and he loves it.