New Newbie Update

crazeediamonds

We finally picked up our precious bundle yesterday 03/08/13

This his him today so laid back, think his vaccination may have summat to do with it. Sorry pic is wrong way but not figured out how to turn it. Anyway hope you all fall in love with him like we did. Deffo more pics on way if u want them

post-10725-0-23842600-1375633087_thumb.j

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys cant argue with u on him being a cute pup. Thanks for the happy birthday to my daughter. She will be 7. Her birthday is not until the 21st of this month so she got him early, lots of tears followed on finding out she was bringing him home.(from me also).

His name well that was tricky she wanted to call him jingle after her stuffed toy husky but after watching u tube videos, explaining where they come from, the orginal tribe name etc she decided on Eskie short for Eskimo.post-10725-0-54419200-1375694422_thumb.j

XD Wrong region, but she picked a cute name all the same. Is this her first dog?

Yes this is her 1st dog. In numerous places it stated they were originally called Eskimo dogs. Is this wrong. If its wrong like u said its a cute name and responded to it within an hr or so.

Well Siberians originated from a landrace of dogs in the Chukotka, with the Chukchi tribe, not one of the Eskimo tribe.

Sibes will definitely be a challenge for her first dog, but they are a wonderful breed. 

Get on a couple sites like these: http://www.safekidssafedogs.com/index.html

http://www.doggonesafe.com/dog_bite_prevention

http://www.livingwithkidsanddogs.com/articles.html

It is really important to make sure she knows all the stress signals for dogs to help prevent accidents. They are pretty kid friendly sites so she can browse them too.

Well Siberians originated from a landrace of dogs in the Chukotka, with the Chukchi tribe, not one of the Eskimo tribe.

Sibes will definitely be a challenge for her first dog, but they are a wonderful breed. 

Get on a couple sites like these: http://www.safekidssafedogs.com/index.html

http://www.doggonesafe.com/dog_bite_prevention

http://www.livingwithkidsanddogs.com/articles.html

It is really important to make sure she knows all the stress signals for dogs to help prevent accidents. They are pretty kid friendly sites so she can browse them too.

We read about the Chukchi tribe and Leonhard Seppala unfortunately cant remember where the eskimo thing was written if i find it will let u know because if this is wrong info then its not good for newbies looking into the breed. Many thanks for the links for my daughter we shall have a look at them together. She is finding it hard at the moment as Eskie as nominated me as his master/alpha male wotever u wanna call it so im encouraging her all the time to get involved with everything even poop scooping she not to happy with that wen its sloppy. Lol. Anyway if u have anymore helpful links info etc we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks x

When he has had all his shots and can safely go outside for walk.

Start teaching him loose leash walking.

If you are going to make sure she helps with the pup then walking it is a BIG part.

However within 12 months that cute pup will be able to pull like a freight train and your

Little girl won't be able to handle him. So teaching him to walk nicely from the outset is important

instead of when it becomes a problem for all of you.

Clickers are a must. The click is a unique sound that doesn't run together for the puppy like our voices can - especially since humans talk so much in our everyday lives. We try to do as much training as we can without talking other than praise. Capturing is a really useful tool for this. Whenever the puppy looks at you of her own accord, (no calling or making noise to get his attention), click and treat. What should happen is the puppy should start following you around looking for a treat and being a general pest trying to keep you within sight. This is actually a good thing called checking in. Eventually you can bring this to the level of them "saying please" when they want to do something. A friend of mine had a borzoi that would stop and wait for her okay to chase deer on their walks, and she was able to call him away from the deer as well.

When he has had all his shots and can safely go outside for walk.

Start teaching him loose leash walking.

If you are going to make sure she helps with the pup then walking it is a BIG part.

However within 12 months that cute pup will be able to pull like a freight train and your

Little girl won't be able to handle him. So teaching him to walk nicely from the outset is important

instead of when it becomes a problem for all of you.

Hi Andy thanks for that. We just started putting lead on him at the mo on the patio for a couple of mins a day. He okish with me he not to sure with Olivia. When he is a bit older i think we will look into a couple of walking belts. Cheers

Clickers are a must. The click is a unique sound that doesn't run together for the puppy like our voices can - especially since humans talk so much in our everyday lives. We try to do as much training as we can without talking other than praise. Capturing is a really useful tool for this. Whenever the puppy looks at you of her own accord, (no calling or making noise to get his attention), click and treat. What should happen is the puppy should start following you around looking for a treat and being a general pest trying to keep you within sight. This is actually a good thing called checking in. Eventually you can bring this to the level of them "saying please" when they want to do something. A friend of mine had a borzoi that would stop and wait for her okay to chase deer on their walks, and she was able to call him away from the deer as well.

Hi Jaimie thanks also. At the moment he looks at me and follows me everywhere. If he does summat i dont want him to do ie peeing/pooping, biting furniture etc i clap my hands loudly. He now stops. We r trying to house train at the moment. Im sure the neighbours r amused listening to me saying Eskie wee wees in a high voice. Treats used r his kibble for wees and a very small amount of cheese for poos. Its sorta working. For a puppy who doesnt drink a lot he sure does lots of small wees inside and out lol.

Keep these tips coming guys every little helps thanx i wll no doubt be asking for many more x

Hi Andy thanks for that. We just started putting lead on him at the mo on the patio for a couple of mins a day. He okish with me he not to sure with Olivia. When he is a bit older i think we will look into a couple of walking belts. Cheers

A walking belt won't help your 7 year old.

A Husky that wants to pull can pull a full grown adult over with a lunge.

These dogs are built for sustained pulling.

If olivia is tied to the dog and it sees a cat or squirrel or even a crisp packet blowing in the wind and goes for it

Your daughter will simply be hauled off her feet and potentially dragged across a road to get to the cat etc.

Which is why I was stressing the loose lead training. If the dog is trained from day one to walk nicely then there is a much less chance that something bad

will occur.

Walking belts allow an adult to brace against the pull, it encourages them to pull.

With loose lead training they are taught to walk nicely and to resist the urge to lunge.

This is my Daughter She's 5'4 weighs about 8 stone

walking all 3 of our easily.

post-1354-0-42685800-1375794409.jpg

ooh your daughter and me shares the same name :D hi fellow Olivia! :wave:

I don't have a walking belt, but (from what I hear from different people in this forum) it can hurt your back if the dog pulls too much. And boy can a husky pull  :wacko: If it was me I'd try a regular lead at first and then once his pulling decreases I'd switch to the walking belt. But that's just me :) good luck! 

ooh your daughter and me shares the same name :D hi fellow Olivia! :wave:

I don't have a walking belt, but (from what I hear from different people in this forum) it can hurt your back if the dog pulls too much. And boy can a husky pull  :wacko: If it was me I'd try a regular lead at first and then once his pulling decreases I'd switch to the walking belt. But that's just me :) good luck!

Hi Olivia

Olivia says hi back. Walking belt is just a thought. We have even thought about trying the bike pulling just so he has some good exercise. Would have to be my oh though. He is more confident on his bike than me. I keep falling off lmao ouch no its sore lol

A walking belt won't help your 7 year old.

A Husky that wants to pull can pull a full grown adult over with a lunge.

These dogs are built for sustained pulling.

If olivia is tied to the dog and it sees a cat or squirrel or even a crisp packet blowing in the wind and goes for it

Your daughter will simply be hauled off her feet and potentially dragged across a road to get to the cat etc.

Which is why I was stressing the loose lead training. If the dog is trained from day one to walk nicely then there is a much less chance that something bad

will occur.

Walking belts allow an adult to brace against the pull, it encourages them to pull.

With loose lead training they are taught to walk nicely and to resist the urge to lunge.

Thanks again all this advice is brill. U guys are all amazing and im do glad i found you all. I just know who will b harder to train Olivia or Eskie lol