New Newbie Update

crazeediamonds

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is anything to go by olivia will beat him to it......iv never known a puppy so lazy no wonder he wont sleep through the night.attachicon.gif20130806_145706-1.jpg i promise he is alive

Eskie is simply lulling you into a false sense of security. :)

Eskie is simply lulling you into a false sense of security. :)

Your probably right. I was probably fooling myself thinking he was just grateful for the piece and quiet. Seems he has just left mum, uncle, 6 siblings and 4 humans lol

Welcome to the forum Eskie is very sweet :)

I have an eight year old daughter who can walk the younger of my two huskies, the older one has been trained to pull so I struggle with him at tines!

I found using a head collar with Mia from a very young age invaluable for Abbie. Mia is trained to walk on a lose lead as suggested by Andy. When we first set off walking I usually hold onto Mia for the first few minutes until Mias excitement passes and then Abbie is usually fine to take over. This said Abbie is very mature and knows essential commands such as steady and walk on. I still have to be very aware of our surroundings and will take control of Mia if we see a cat, squirrel or another dog just to be on the safe side.

I'm sure Olivia will be fine providing she is a strong character who can assert herself with Eskies training x

Welcome to the forum Eskie is very sweet :)

I have an eight year old daughter who can walk the younger of my two huskies, the older one has been trained to pull so I struggle with him at tines!

I found using a head collar with Mia from a very young age invaluable for Abbie. Mia is trained to walk on a lose lead as suggested by Andy. When we first set off walking I usually hold onto Mia for the first few minutes until Mias excitement passes and then Abbie is usually fine to take over. This said Abbie is very mature and knows essential commands such as steady and walk on. I still have to be very aware of our surroundings and will take control of Mia if we see a cat, squirrel or another dog just to be on the safe side.

I'm sure Olivia will be fine providing she is a strong character who can assert herself with Eskies training x

Hi Debs thanks for that. Olivia can be mature at times but can get rather silly and giddy around Eskie.I am trying loose lead at the mo and using kibble in my hand to encourage him to walk and distract him from chewing lead. This doesnt always work. I could do with help on the correct words to use when walking him please.

Hi Debs thanks for that. Olivia can be mature at times but can get rather silly and giddy around Eskie.I am trying loose lead at the mo and using kibble in my hand to encourage him to walk and distract him from chewing lead. This doesnt always work. I could do with help on the correct words to use when walking him please.

We use walk on to let the dogs know to keep going, so no sniffing at the ground/lampposts, ignore other dogs/people.....just basically to get their attention on walking forward!

No is great to teach them to stop doing something, Mia will pick things up from the floor, particularly tissues....Grr....so no stops her from actually picking it up (most of the time) and then walk on to keep her going.

I use steady to slow her down if she is going too fast , she loves running!

And stop....well I think that's pretty obvious :-)

If you want to use a head collar, which IMO is the best option for Olivia, introduce it as early as possible, and be sure to buy one with a collar link!

Now if you want Eskie to pull a bike also you will want him to pull....this is different training with a harness.....never mix the 2 up Eskie will learn his different expectations between the equipment he is wearing, providing you are clear yourself!

On a harness you teach them to walk out front, this is where the walking belt can come in. You can use all the above commands, but also left and right.....they need to learn this asap otherwise you WILL be wrapped around a lamppost! Also hike hike allows my two to know I'm ready to run :-) especially up strap hills! And again steady crosses between the 2 types of training.

I hope this makes sense, everyone uses different words, but for me pick the ones that will suit you and olivia.

Hope this helps x

We use walk on to let the dogs know to keep going, so no sniffing at the ground/lampposts, ignore other dogs/people.....just basically to get their attention on walking forward!

No is great to teach them to stop doing something, Mia will pick things up from the floor, particularly tissues....Grr....so no stops her from actually picking it up (most of the time) and then walk on to keep her going.

I use steady to slow her down if she is going too fast , she loves running!

And stop....well I think that's pretty obvious :-)

Hope this helps x

Again thanks Debs

I made myself seem a bit thick. I have walked many dogs but just wondered if there was different commands to use for huskies. Thanks on info on equipment. I will deffo look into this. Was thinking of getting a harness to stop him biting/being distracted by the lead.