Alpha?

sarah1988beth

Should this annoying alpha phase pass when our husky is neutered? He pretty much is allowed to just do whatever he wants unless he is peeing on things or bolting out of the house. But when we try to correct him he gets all alpha on us and I don't like being challenged (specially since I am owner and he is dog) we are also trying some classes with him but would like to know opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;p

You won't really know until it's done.

Some owners notice a marked difference in behaviour

other say there is little or no change.

It's all down to the dog.

Sorry

Well, I took mine to classes, that helped with him obeying commands, but honestly he tests me every day .  I just have to keep telling him no. 

If you search for the NILF (Nothing in Life is Free) method you will get a lot of tips on what to do. Basically the dog should be working towards any kind of reward.  For example, all 3 of mine must be sitting and behaving before they get their meals.  If they want a walk, they have to sit, etc. 

Also, exercise does wonders too.  A tired husky is usually a well behaved one lol

I'd probably stop letting him do what he wants. Make him work for things, like Jason suggested in NILIF. Find his currency - food, toys, affection - and use it to your advantage. Make him wait to eat, wait at the door before you open it, etc. If he won't respond, keep him on a short leash until he starts to realize that freedom comes from behaving. And expect that he will wear your patience out, because he's a husky, and they are stubborn.

Edited by Chula

Well, I took mine to classes, that helped with him obeying commands, but honestly he tests me every day . I just have to keep telling him no.

If you search for the NILF (Nothing in Life is Free) method you will get a lot of tips on what to do. Basically the dog should be working towards any kind of reward. For example, all 3 of mine must be sitting and behaving before they get their meals. If they want a walk, they have to sit, etc.

Also, exercise does wonders too. A tired husky is usually a well behaved one lol

He isn't destructive he is just testy :) he isn't allowed out without a leash until he is use to the underground fence we are putting in for him. So he has to wait until he is settled and the leash is on before he can go out. He knows his commands and even speak so he's fairly well behaved he's just testing me in new ways that our last one didn't. :) I will try the food thing. He only eats when he wants to usually his food just sits in his bowl until he finishes for breakfast. (He doesn't eat much)

I'd probably stop letting him do what he wants. Make him work for things, like Jason suggested in NILIF. Find his currency - food, toys, affection - and use it to your advantage. Make him wait to eat, wait at the door before you open it, etc. If he won't respond, keep him on a short leash until he starts to realize that freedom comes from behaving. And expect that he will wear your patience out, because he's a husky, and they are stubborn.

He is extremely stubborn! Lol we had it easy with the last one. He was an old man now this one is 3 and we haven't lived with them under 7. So I am guessing this is typical for them to act.

Mine is a female, but man is she ever bossy. She talks back when she doesn't get her way, and will push push push to get it. She spends a lot of time on a short leash :) Sometimes I don't even have to say a word, she knows when the leash goes on and I look at her a certain way, she needs to calm down. But I don't know that it's necessarily an "alpha" thing. 

From what I can tell of the people on this board, most people don't "free feed" huskies. My understanding is that part of establishing roles is making sure he understands you control his food, and when and where he eats. 

He isn't destructive he is just testy :) he isn't allowed out without a leash until he is use to the underground fence we are putting in for him. So he has to wait until he is settled and the leash is on before he can go out. He knows his commands and even speak so he's fairly well behaved he's just testing me in new ways that our last one didn't. :) I will try the food thing. He only eats when he wants to usually his food just sits in his bowl until he finishes for breakfast. (He doesn't eat much)

i'd be careful with the underground fence. i had a golden retriever that would just charge through it and that's not even taking into consideration how huskies are not good off lead. they have a high prey drive and it would only take one thing to tempt him. huskies are a stubborn breed, that's for sure. mine tests me every day.

I don't free feed.  Yukon's breeder suggested free feeding, which I was against.  So mine eat 2x per day.  But like the others have said, they are VERY stubborn!  They will test you every day it seems! 

I also agree with the underground fence...not recommended, especially for a husky because if the zap is worth it, they will bolt right through it. 

Ok so, no underground fence, short leash on life so to say, pick up his food until I say it's time for breakfast and supper, and continue with his training of commands (positive reinforcement).

He likes my husband more so if I am in control of his food he should come around to me?

Make sure your normal fence had a good deep concrete footing and is good solid close board fencing at least 6 feet high.

Ok so, no underground fence, short leash on life so to say, pick up his food until I say it's time for breakfast and supper, and continue with his training of commands (positive reinforcement).

He likes my husband more so if I am in control of his food he should come around to me?

My husky has always had a special bond with me over my ex when we lived together. I think it will help if you take charge of feeding him and walking him. Huskies do well with structure and guidelines. Mine are also fed twice a day.

I don't allow my husk off lead unless he is in an enclosed area that is secure. I stayed at my parents for a few days and he got out of their wrought iron fence about 4 times WITH supervision. it's just too much of a risk IMO.

Make sure your normal fence had a good deep concrete footing and is good solid close board fencing at least 6 feet high.

We can't put up an actual fence which is why he is walked at least twice a day morning and night. (Soon as I get in better shape I will run with him at night for now that is all the hubby).

I bought lots of stimulating kong toys and tons of raw hides and tennis balls and he seems to be doing ok. We all survived the first 24 hours without him having an issue we couldn't fix we hope. He does well with the kids which is great (for the kids and duke).

He doesn't have "food" aggression but he is protective of table scraps that my kids "accidentally" drop on the floor -_- they thought it was cute with the old husky lol not so cute with a 3 year old though

We can't put up an actual fence which is why he is walked at least twice a day morning and night. (Soon as I get in better shape I will run with him at night for now that is all the hubby).

I bought lots of stimulating kong toys and tons of raw hides and tennis balls and he seems to be doing ok. We all survived the first 24 hours without him having an issue we couldn't fix we hope. He does well with the kids which is great (for the kids and duke).

He doesn't have "food" aggression but he is protective of table scraps that my kids "accidentally" drop on the floor -_- they thought it was cute with the old husky lol not so cute with a 3 year old though

uh oh I'd talk with the kids and stop them from dropping table scraps for the dog immediately. As you've probably already know huskies have a very sensitive stomach. A lot of food can give them diarrhea, including too much food. Now about the constant challenges issue:

How long have you had your baby again? Maybe he is simply yet to learn the "no!" or whatever correction method you use :) Perseverance is key. Remain consistent and patient, he'll learn soon. As for the bonding thing, I think as long as you take over the walking routine he'd get attached to you in no time. Huskies are no one-man dog. They love anyone that makes them happy LOL I have a maid that walks Diamond in the mornings because I have school, and he soon get attached to her. But since she doesn't really give out corrections in walks, he doesn't respect her at all and pulls like a freight train. He also tried to chase down the neighbor's cat and lunge to people that he knows well. None of that happens when he's walking with me. Not because I'm alpha over him and he's alpha over my maid, but simply because with me there are rules he must follow. He simply knows that I don't tolerate misbehaviors and he WILL get punished if he misbehaves.

So the only advice I have is try to establish more rules in your house. For example (which has already been mentioned) set a scheduled mealtime. Unless it's mealtime food isn't available. I will also train him to only walk in the door/jump into the couch if invited/called. Simple but strict rules like that will make him respect you more :) good luck!

Thanks :) we have had him since Saturday night. He went and got fixed yesterday and seems to be doing fine. He is calmer but that could be the meds or the cone he has to wear :) he has a cone phobia apparently so I have to take the cone off when he goes out to the bathroom or he won't go! He had me worried when he wouldn't go ALL day so I called and asked if I could try without the cone and it worked! He's definitely a pain at times but that is expected. He has rules that I am strict about (with the last husky if you gave into one rule he thought he could get away with everything)