Parvo Virus

smed

Got a phone call on the way home from work off my mum saying that the dog wasn't well.  Took him to the vets straight away did a few tests and they said he had Parvo. I have only had him for 2 days but when she told me a broke down so much.

I was just wondering if you guys have had any encounters like this before. He's 10 weeks old also.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really sorry to hear this. i don't know much about the virus itself apart from it can be quite serious if not caught, sounds like your vet is on the ball so hopefully he will make a speedy recovery. Have ou spoken to the breeder to see if any of their dogs are showing signs? Has he been anywhere where he could've mixed with other dogs before having all of his puppy vacs? 

I have spoken to the breeder none of the other pups are showing any signs of the virus. And he hasn't been in contact with any other dogs since we got him home. Everywhere he has been in the house he has been followed by someone to keep an eye on him. And the last dog we had in the house was 9 years ago it just don't add up.

I would definitely let the breeder know. I know many puppies survive as long as they receive proper care and hydration. I hope yours gets well soon. Poor lil puppy. 

ETA - Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Do you trust the breeder? Is the breeder going to help with any of the costs? If you've only had the puppy for two days it is essentially impossible that he got it while at your home. It takes time for the illness to manifest.

Edited by Chula

oh no :(   I hope he is ok, keep us informed.  So sorry to hear this.  I have not had any experience in this, but if they catch it early, it can be treated.  Important part is that he is at the vet's being cared for. 

Parvo is fatal in most puppy cases.

Adult dogs can weather the symptoms but they will be very very ill

If you've only had him 2 days and

If you haven't taken him out before he's had his full set of shots

(and at 10 weeks he's too young to have had the full course yet)

Then he had to have contracted it before you got him.

I would take him back and demand a full refund.

You will have to seriously disinfect your house and yard before you get another pup

Oh I know you want him to get well, and that's the most important issue right now. But if a breeder is selling sick puppies, they need to be held accountable so others aren't put in the same position, and so puppies aren't dying and suffering needlessly. :( :(

The most important thing now is to stay on the vet to make sure they are doing everything they can.  If treated quickly and aggressivley the pup's chances increase.  He will require hospitalization so I am hoping he will have a speedy recovery.

I would inform the breeder what the vet said, and that your pup has not had any contact with other dogs except your 9 year old

I had a GSD many years ago. He contracted parvo as a pup, I gave him a sugar and water solution to hydrate him and got him to the vets - he pulled through and spent a few days on a drip before coming home with no side effects. I'm sure your vet is doing everything possible for your puppy.

If you haven't taken him out since you got him, he must have contracted it from the breeder. I personally wouldnt accept her word that no other puppies have been infected but there's not a lot you can do about them. Get your little fella better then take it up with her.

UPDATE: Just had a phone call off the vet, He chewed threw his drip cord last night. This morning he is passing urine and poo. He's eating and drinking again and showing alot more energy and intrest in people.

Going to leave him in overnight again just to be certain.

UPDATE: Just had a phone call off the vet, He chewed threw his drip cord last night. This morning he is passing urine and poo. He's eating and drinking again and showing alot more energy and intrest in people.

Going to leave him in overnight again just to be certain.

Thanks for the update, glad he's more responsive. :)