Stomach In Knots.......

Mia-Blue

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Debs , glad you've had the assessment done for Brooke. I guess now its a matter of getting your head round things and beginning to accept that this truly isn't your fault. My eldest Callum, was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a few years back and when I realised how serious it was, I felt so bad. He's had so many other issues to deal with such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, asthma, eczema, color blindness, and lots more believe me. Because I'm his mum, I felt so guilty and ultimately the person responsible for making his life so hard but that's a dangerous path to tread and doesn't help things at all, a depressed mum only makes things worse. Now you know what you're dealing with, it's a big positive step forwards towards helping Brooke reach her full potential. Enjoy your holiday, hopefully your husband will come round in time, once he's gotten things straight in his own mind. Xxx

Well Im relieved to say she isn't on the spectrum.......however they believe she has a personality disorder, severe anxiety, seperation problems and her speech and language test shows she has a high IQ, but very poor abiliy to understand the spoken word causing her social difficulties. Together they said these different problems are causing Brookes behavioural problems and jealousy towards her little sister. The psychologist believes a lot of these issues are due to my difficult pregnancy and labour and because of her poor relationship with her dad she has become over dependant on me and very afraid of trusting other people. I was in the feedback appointment for 1 1/2 hours, it was very detailed and made sense.

Now the next step is waiting for her report and recommendations and hope and pray camhs acknowledge the complexity of Brookes problems and agree to give her the further assessment and therapy which the psychologist feels Brooke needs to allow her to understand herself, her own emotions and how she can deal with issues appropriately without resorting to tantrums and violence.......my head really hurts and its been a very emotional few days :( I feel as though I still have a very big fight ahead to get the help and support required

if it wasnt camhs who assessed her then who?

pm me of you want its just i have a child who i know needs assessment. camhs assessed him 2 years ago and refuse to reassess him.

apparently attacking me and his 6 year old sister isnt grounds for reassessment :/

Hi Debs , glad you've had the assessment done for Brooke. I guess now its a matter of getting your head round things and beginning to accept that this truly isn't your fault. My eldest Callum, was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a few years back and when I realised how serious it was, I felt so bad. He's had so many other issues to deal with such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, asthma, eczema, color blindness, and lots more believe me. Because I'm his mum, I felt so guilty and ultimately the person responsible for making his life so hard but that's a dangerous path to tread and doesn't help things at all, a depressed mum only makes things worse. Now you know what you're dealing with, it's a big positive step forwards towards helping Brooke reach her full potential. Enjoy your holiday, hopefully your husband will come round in time, once he's gotten things straight in his own mind. Xxx

I am having lots of feeling of guilt at the moment Emma!

It sucks doesn't it when our babies have to go through things like this, I'm just going to recharge my batteries and take up the next part of the fight to get her what she needs x

if it wasnt camhs who assessed her then who?

pm me of you want its just i have a child who i know needs assessment. camhs assessed him 2 years ago and refuse to reassess him.

apparently attacking me and his 6 year old sister isnt grounds for reassessment :/

Camhs had a 2 1/2 year waiting list and due to lots of complaints the NHS funded a private practice to undertake 120 of the ASD assessments, Brooke being one of those children. I feel fortunate now especially as what the professionals believed was her problem has now been ruled out so the focus now can be moved away from ASD and onto the other issues which it raised.

The problem we are now faced with is whether Camhs actually listen to and react on the recommendations which are made. My fear is like you say they won't deem her behavioural issues bad enough to address. And Brooke too will often physically and verbally attack Abbie, just because a diagnosis hasn't been made for ASD does not take away the issues Brooke has. I fear I have a very hard, long battle still to fight!

What does your GP say?

Camhs had a 2 1/2 year waiting list and due to lots of complaints the NHS funded a private practice to undertake 120 of the ASD assessments, Brooke being one of those children. I feel fortunate now especially as what the professionals believed was her problem has now been ruled out so the focus now can be moved away from ASD and onto the other issues which it raised.

The problem we are now faced with is whether Camhs actually listen to and react on the recommendations which are made. My fear is like you say they won't deem her behavioural issues bad enough to address. And Brooke too will often physically and verbally attack Abbie, just because a diagnosis hasn't been made for ASD does not take away the issues Brooke has. I fear I have a very hard, long battle still to fight!

What does your GP say?

wellhes on my side.

but apparently he nay be retiring :(

but theres nothig he can really do since camhs wont listen

wellhes on my side.

but apparently he nay be retiring :(

but theres nothig he can really do since camhs wont listen

What about doing a CAF? That often gets people the support required x