How Much Is Too Much For My Dog To Pull?

MaddiesMama

While shopping with a friend for some odds and ends she made a comment about how one of her relatives had her husky mix trained to pull a small wagon for when they go grocery shopping (they live in a very small town in a colder climate) and I showed interest. I made a joke about training Maddie to pull a little red wagon and we laughed about my 6 year old riding her around town like a horse in buggy. Of course I'm not going to tie my dog to a little red wagon with a length of yarn and set my 6 year old loose but apparently i'm "cruel" to even say that.

Some older chick was walking by and heard the but end of it and started in on how its horrible to expect my dog to pull anything around because she's my pet not some plowhorse yadayadayada. I tried explaining to her that Siberan Huskies are bred as working dogs and thats what they were originally bred for and she started going on about weight limits and how I was going to break her back by making her pull my kid in some wagon (he's 50 lbs...beats me what a wagon weighs.)

Needless to say, despite the fact I disagree with the idea that Maddie coudln't be trained to pull and I honestly believe she'd enjoy it, I am no really very curious about what is too much for her.

Note: once again...I am not going to set my kid loose in a little red wagon....just saying.

LOL the great unwashed (general non-Husky owning public) again spouting off about stuff they obviously know everything about :P

I still can't tag people but I'm sure HuskyMom09 (Lani) will be glad to share infos about this. Some of her dogs are competing in weight-pulling competitions and brought home blue ribbons! ;)

to tag someone

Go to the bottom right "More reply options"

Then on the right is a box "TagBox"

Start typing the name in there and it will offer suggestions

Choose the name you want and job done.

Yes it's true- Dakota my 9 year old male and novice weight pull dog pulled 850lbs this past spring- the gold medalist in our region pulled 1200lbs.  They were bred to pull, the keys are starting with the right equipment, not just any harness will do- you'll want a freight harness.  Next you'll want to start off with light weights, even a milk jug filled with sand would work- you want something that will make some noise to desensitize him to that- carts and wagons make some noise and it can freak some dogs out if they aren't expecting it.  Build up your weights slowly- he'll let you know his limits if you just pay attention to his body language :)