No Appetite For Husky Pup!

MeekoHusky

Hi everyone!

Meeko our Siberian Husky is 7 weeks old and he has been with us for about 5 days now. We bought him Purina Pro-plan puppy food chicken flavored (recommended to us by Petsmart employee). I would expect as a puppy that he would eat everything and anything possible, but we put out 3/4 cupful of food 3 times a day and he eats nothing in the morning, barely anything in the afternoon, and at night he eats about half. Tonight, he ate the whole thing practically which really surprised us and about 5 minutes later he threw the whole meal up. We called Petsmart and they said that a puppy his age should be eating everything that we put in front of him. It really worries me that he doesn't eat. We also put peanut butter in a Kong treat and has shown absolutely no interest whatsoever in it. He seems to be very energetic when we play, but tends to sleep over 3/4 of the day (which I don't know if its normal for a growing puppy). 

Now, I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the previous owner had him eating salmon flavored food and said that the pups went crazy over it. Regardless, I would think that food is food to a puppy and wouldn't matter.. 

Any advice is appreciated as well as information on how often you feed or fed your pups and what outcomes you had..

Thanks!

Huskies have sensitive stomachs and I would not recommend purina or go off what a PetSmart employee says. I feed mine Taste of the Wild. It's a grain free food.

If you go to dogfoodadvisor.com you can see the ratings. Food was about the hardest decision I had to make with my dogs! Ultimately it's up to you and what's good for your dog. At that age they should be eating 3-4 smaller meals per day, about 2 cups or so total per day.

It's possible that your pup ate too fast or maybe was playing afterwards?

Hope that's helpful! :)

Yeah as Jason says sounds like you are feeding him too at each meal.

Some Huskies will eat everything you put down all day long.

Others will only eat one meal per day.

As for the throwing up. . . Too much too quickly.

Smaller amounts 

Khaleesi had terrible worms when we got her and barely ate anything, so might be worth worming him, make sure you give the right amount of wormer for his size and I always watch her to make sure she's eaten it all. But little and often is definitely the key. She still doesn't eat much to be fair but is gaining weight as she should so we've been told not to worry, even though she's skinny as a rake.

One thing though,

You got him at 6 weeks old roughly do u know what age he was weaned from his mother? Maybe this has something to do with it as he might not be ready for a hard food specially if he was eating salmon it would be soft n easy for a young pup to eat , now your feeding him a hard food? Try boiling the kettle n pouring it over the food to soften it then obviously let it cool b4 feeding him , the hot water will also bring out the smell of the flavour which might make it more appealing for your pup

Hey, we've got another Texan here - what part of this great state are you from Chad???  (( I'm over by the Big Bend area - and there's a thread "Where does Al Live" floating around somewhere here. ))

I can't offer any more than you've been given - he was separated from the litter early - 8 weeks or later would have been best - and that may be playing a part in his not eating (he doesn't have momma to "snack on").  At 5 days with you, he should have adjusted to "the change" and should be eating you out of house and home.

The pups I raised a couple of years ago were snacking on the adult food by about 6 weeks, but were more interested in puppy food most of the time. But then, I just left their food out to let them snack as they wanted to.

Good luck! and welcome to the forum ...

From the Beaumont/golden triangle area! Thanks for the info and since I have made this new post he has been doing very well in eating all of his food and digesting it. We hunk we may have found the problem when we found half of my wife's sandle completely bitten in two (not sure if dogs digest shoes very well) but since I made it he has been fine eating all of his food and we would like to supplement raw meat in somewhere as well... Which I made another about that. Big bend is a nice area and glad to meet another Texan!

I'm going to have to go back on a rampage and see if I can get all of us in the Lone Star State on the members map (( er, hint hint )).  There are enough of us to have a Lone Star get together - if we can find a convenient meeting place ( San Antonio area?? )

and yeh, they like shoe leather, but as you found out it doesn't digest too well ...  << laughing >>