Leaving Loose

Stormy

When I move I am wanting to start leaving the dogs loose in the house. I'm thinking of putting the stair gate on the living room door so that they are kept in the living room and can go upstairs etc if they want to.

My question is as they have been used to being crated do you think I might get some issues leaving them loose and should I do it gradually to see what they are like?

i would prefer to leave them out as I do work for 8 - 9 hours which I do get my dog walker in also but feel it's unfair crating them for so long.

I don't crate mine, I stairgate the stairs and the kitchen

Also I have the dog flap for access to the secure garden.

I would leave them access to the crates even if you don't actually

put them in

It's what they are used to and they can go there for comfort.

We have dog gates blocking off every bedroom except mine (for bings) n the dogs get free run and we've never had any issues , because skyla used to chew we started off by just leaving her out when we went the shops for like an hour n gradually built up the time length n she was fine n hasn't chewed since

If they have access to any room, make sure the door is fully shut

or wedged open

My guys have got themselves "shut" in a room before and done damage trying to get out.

Badly scratched doors, ripped carpets etc.

But. . . . .

If you wedge them open then they can get at furniture shred duvets / pillows etc. . .

I will have two rooms so perhaps just leave one room open make it a dog room

Good Idea

I would do it gradual. Start with 10-15 minutes and work up to an hour and over a few months see how they do.

I shudder to think what Nikko would do with full access! Kodiak and Yukon would be fine tho

Mine are in crates for about 8 hours a day, but I go home for lunch, so they are crated from 8am until 12:15 , and from 12:45 until 4:15, and they are fine.  Last week I had to leave them in the crate for 8 hours all at once, and when I got home they were a-OK

Not mine LOL.  they get their own bed, and allow me to have my own little corner at night...I might have more room if I slept in their crate!

Yes I do they are no longer puppies or I would've said no but any adult dogs should be fine that long don't forget they there 8+ hours at night :)

I agree with Dunc.  If they are used to crates, I'd use crates during the periods you are gone.  Nothing worse than to come home to a wrecked house.  It's also interesting that the sense of time that we humans have, is not shared by dogs.  Their sense of time is such that one minute or one hour, eight minutes or eight hours, it's all the same to them.