Peeing In House

gemmamac87

Hi everyone. I have a 11 week old girl husky. We have had her for 4 weeks. Now I understand she is young and still settling in her new home but we have come across a problem. No matter how much outside time she has had, how many pees she has outside, as soon as she comes back in the house she pees! This is every time. This morning we were in the garden for 30 minutes. She did her business, we waited 10 minutes and then went in the house. As soon as all 4 paws were on the carpet she peed! It doesn't seem to matter where in the house it is. She's not fussy. She peed on our bed while we were sleeping a few weeks ago. We tell her no and take her outside when she does it, but it doesn't seem to help. Is there anything I can do to help curb this behaviour? Could there be some behavioural reason such as submissive urination? Thanks in advance for any advice/help

Hi Gemma sorry for the late reply. How do you clean her pee? It might just be the urine scent because dogs pee wherever it smells like pee. I'm a bit worried when you say "carpet" because it absorbs urine and it's hard to get the scent off it. I'm sure there must be a way, but the last carpet in my house get thrown away in Diamond's second day at home. Not telling you throwing the carpet away is the only way to go though. Oh and can you catch her in the act? If you can, touch her and say "no" at the same time when she's doing her pee to show how displeased you are. There are levels of correction in my pack. A "hey" is just a gentle reminder. A "no" is more of a serious "stop it!" and a touch at the neck or butt means "DIAMOND VON DISNEY!! You stop that right this moment!!". My boy Diamond rarely gets to the touch level, but there are times when he gets it as a young adult  :lol: bratty teens! LOL and it doesn't take long for them to learn these levels of corrections either. I think the difference is just obvious. Oh and btw:

Submissive peeing doesn't occur out of the blue like that. Usually they're accompanied by slight shivering and occurred as a response to some certain trigger. For example a pet at the head. Idk why would that cause submissive peeing but that just happens often. Good luck! :)

Duke peed in the house when we first brought him home, he seems satisfied that this is his house now (even though I cleaned like crazy!) When we go for walks he pees on every tree, rock , pole and blade of grass he walks by (beginning to wonder how much pee they can actually hold) have you tried any of the puppy pads? Maybe putting on the inside of the door so it's the first thing she steps on instead of carpet? Might be worth a shot. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;p

Thanks for replying. So far when she does it we touch the back of her neck gently and say no! Ack! Then take her straight outside. We say no in a stern voice if she is just being mischievous and not naughy. We have puppy pads but she seems to pee near them not on them. Same with newspaper. I am quite worried about the carpet as we are in a rented house. We clean it with that spray you can get that is meant to get rid of pet urine odour after we scrub with white vinegar and water. When we catch her in the act she rarely stops peeing and just continues as we carry her outside. She also pees in her crate and on her bed. Someone we know who is very experienced with dogs had mentioned she is showing signs of being a dominant dog. Peeing in house, nibbling alot, not getting down when told, not letting you pet her head and trying to be taller than us. Could the peeing be part of that? We just assumed she did all this because she is still quite young. She is a lovely dog, but the peeing is getting to be a bit of a nuisance as she seems to just do it for the sake of it, not because she needs to iyswim.

Couple of questions.

How frequently do you take her out for potty?

Why did you wait ten minutes after she did her duty and then bring her back in the house?

Do you get up during the night to take her out for potty breaks?

Do you lavish praise on her when she potties outside?

Do you punish her if she potties in the house?

Do you use pee-pads or newspaper?

Now, with the questions out of the way, let's start with some basics.

A pup at 11 weeks of age, should be able to hold its bladder for up to two hours, maybe a bit more. So if you were to put her on a schedule, where every two hours, after she eats, when she wakes up, after play or training, you take her out, AND when she does her business where she's supposed to, give her praise as if she has saved the world.

Once she's done her business, especially if you've taken her out for that specific activity, give her a few minutes to sniff, if she wants, after you praise her of course, and then it's back into the house. You want her to associate going potty with the outside, so by minimizing her time outside around the activity of going potty, you are reinforcing that the outside is for potty, not the inside.

If she potties in the house, take her outside immediately. Have someone else clean up the mess while she is out of site. If she comes back, and sees the mess and it's not been cleaned up, she may associate that with it being normal to pee in the house. When Zoya pee'd in the house, one of us took her outside immediately while the other cleaned up the naughty deed.

If you ever catch her in the act, simply say "NO", pick her up, and take her outside. We had people tell us to rub their nose in it, to spank them, all sorts of torments. None of that works, and in fact, makes the process all that more difficult. If you take her out, she potties outside, and then when you bring her in, she potties again - simply pick her up and take her back outside. Eventually she will get the point.

I don't recommend the use of pee-pads or newspapers. Simple reason, you train the dog to pee on the pee-pad, in the house. So now the dog feels it's OK to pee in the house. Then you try to get them t pee outside, and it just makes for confusion. Stick to using the outside and be consistent.

Some dogs take longer to train than others. It requires a proactive approach. One other thing, it could be medical. You may want to discuss this with your bet to rule out anything like a urinary tract infection, or other cause. Good luck. And please keep us posted on your progress. Like I said, some dogs take longer than others. Be firm, be consistent, be prepared.