How English Sounds To Non-English Speakers

mydiamond

Have you ever wondered what English sounds like in the ears of a non-english speaker?  :rolleyes: there's a reason why it's one of the most difficult languages on Earth! :P

oh and btw see if you can understand anything LOL I can only catch "yeah" and "sure" and I've learned English for 14 years now :lol: A commenter in YouTube says he hears swearing, but I can't find any swear word for the life of me  :huh: but if you do find any I won't mind it being removed...

With Dutch being a Germanic language just like English there are quite some similarities. Most modern words are the same, but the pronunciations are often totally different. But for us it's not too hard to learn as the grammar rules are very similar, especially as the majority here speaks it as well. However for you it must be a completely different thing. How different (words/pronunciation/grammar) is English compared to Indonesian if I may ask, Olivia? How many people around you actually speak English?

When I started learning English at age 6, I thought it was a pretty simple language.

The British have actually kept many words from the time the country spoke French, same spelling and only slighty different pronunciation. The grammar rules are very simple compared to other languages and so for me it was relatively easy and fast to learn.

I guess it all depends on your first language, obviously Spanish and English will be a lot easier to learn for a French person than a completely different language like Russian.

When I look at Russian, Chinese etc I just think ''Oh dear god'' LOL, but if I look at a spanish sentence even if I'm not fluent in it, I usually get what it means as it is too similar to my first language.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

There were only four words I could make out, well five.

1. Yeah

2. Sure

3. You

4. Then an expletive delete in the form of an adverb, when the woman re-entered the room with the pineapple and sparklers. . . .

5. Followed by a second expletive delete in the form of a noun.

With Dutch being a Germanic language just like English there are quite some similarities. Most modern words are the same, but the pronunciations are often totally different. But for us it's not too hard to learn as the grammar rules are very similar, especially as the majority here speaks it as well. However for you it must be a completely different thing. How different (words/pronunciation/grammar) is English compared to Indonesian if I may ask, Olivia? How many people around you actually speak English?

Indonesian is one of the easiest language to learn, Jos :P the difference is quite extreme so most people find it difficult to learn English. Schools teach children English since they're in kindergarten but fact is there are only some that truly speaks fluently. There are even fewer who speaks with the correct pronunciation. And there's only a handful that speaks without an Indonesian accent. English is considered as a prestigious language actually... If you sit in a fancy cafe, ordering an expensive coffee and wear a nice suit people would somehow expect you to speak English LOL