Back Keeps Rising Up Around Other Dogs

stencilized

Hi everyone

Just a quick question about our Husky, Skye

Basically her back goes up just behind her neck each time she comes near another dog, i'm struggling to work out whether this is an agressive thing or nervous?

She has been bit by another dog and this seems to have made her slightly nervous and I am aswell - having a rottweiller run out of nowhere and attack at night is not pleasant! I wonder if i am giving off bad energy? or nervous energy?

Although she does the exact same thing with my partner. Whenever we approach a house where a dog lives, her back will rise up. She has greeted dogs before and only on a couple of occasions she has wagged her tail. Normally she does a strange snapping thing with her mouth, making me concerned she's may be agressive? I'm really not sure what it is, has anyone else experienced this?

I would suggest it's a bit of both.

Some dogs are friendly off lead but aggressive on lead.

It's the fight or flight reflex.

Off lead if another dog approaches they can both sniff and both have the chance to move away

when they feel uncomfortable or threatened.

However

On lead they cannot move away because they are tied to you by the lead

so they take the stance.

Look I don't know you and if you don't like me or I don't like you then I can't leave

so I'm warning you to stay away.

Ideally you need to find someone with an ultra calm dog.

and introduce her gently on lead.

So she can learn that on lead encounters can be good.

Thanks Andy,

I think you may be right, the only time her tail has ever wagged was when she's either been around older dogs or calm ones.

We tried to team her up with a boxer dog my partner's mum owns but she ended up trying to grab his private parts :o

He was however very bouncy and probably not a good choice

Will have to try again and locate a nice calm creature

Thanks Lucy for your response! Can i ask what book you were reading? might be useful!

We kind of got an answer at the weekend of how she is with other dogs as her lead got snagged on a gate and she sprinted across a road to another dog wagging her tail that much, i thought it may fling off! she only seemed annoyed by it, when i managed to catch her and pull her away!

Their hackles rise whenever they are aroused. This doesn't have to be sexually - anything like excitement, fear, dominance, play, and of course...aggression. 

I've noticed, whenever mine approaches other dogs, his hackles rise. I can tell this is from dominance because he also does the following:

- Stands on his toes to make himself seem bigger - puts head over other dog's head during initial greeting, too.

- Stance/gait is tense

- Tail is raised and curled tightly - short, stiff waving motion