Separate/together Feeding

sarahjng

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but since we got freyja we've been feeding the dog separately as, as little as she is she has a tiny bit of a food guarding issue, not with us, just with bear if he goes near her while she has food she growls etc. Anyway, last couple of meals bears been really slow to eat and last night he flat refused until I brought freyja into the kitchen and hand fed her a chicken wing,  as soon as he saw her eating he ate, as long as she ate, so did he. 

Is this a pack behaviour,  ensuring the pup eats first ?  Or is she dominating him so much he won't eat before her ? 

Which is better, just feed them together and watch she doesn't steal his food (she will) or separate and if he doesn't want to / won't eat leave it till the next meal ? HELP !

If there is the potential for aggression then keep them separate.

Bear may miss a few meals until he gets the idea that the foods there and 

hey I'm hungry.

Alternatively separate them by a stairgate. feed each on either side of the gate

They can see each other but Freyja can't get at Bears food until you're sure he's finished.

Yeah, the twins eat in the kitchen and Nika eats in the living room separated by a babygate in our house.

Just makes it easier because Nika's a fussy eater at the best of times, and that way we can leave her food down for longer than 30 seconds!

I've noticed the same thing though, I think with us it's Nika being maternal and making sure the pups eat, but with Bear being a boy, I'm not sure! Although it could well be a caring thing for him, having a new baby round the house!

-Caity

Ice used to be just like this, however he also dived into Bear's bowl and growled her away so he could eat her food after he'd scoffed his own.  Fine with us though, although over time he's become a bit moody with bones, sometimes growls and runs off with it. 

We had to feed separate at meal times, Bear felt unsafe to eat and won't eat in those conditions as she's too afraid to incase she gets chomped on.   Over time I started to feed with the back door to the kitchen open (Ice eats on the other side in the enclosed lean to at the side of the house).  He wanted to dart in and grab it but I stood in front and he waited until she finished, then I called him in to finish what she'd left.  Now I still feed separate for ease but sometimes let him in when he's done and supervise him.  He always stands a distance and stares at Bear until she's finished and then runs over to polish off the goodies, no fighting, no growling, just waits patiently at a distance.  He also now allows Bear and Brooke to eat treats in his presence too without any fuss as he has realised he'll get his turn if he waits.

Both ate tonight no problem,  although she still scoffs hers down like a little piggy !  Bear seems far more at ease knowing she's eating as well. He definitely cares about her,  even if she does Nick his bones and toys and chew on his fur lol

Im really lucky with mine and can put their food down almost next to each other and walk away, they both respect each others bowls and will not check each others out until each has finished.. i do however seperate for raw chicken thighs etc as Shadow likes to move his about a bit till he eats it... lol and he would lose it to skye :( lol

We've had issues with aggression in the past. Our pups dishes are on opposite sides of our sliding glass door (both inside) We make both Cj & Ace lay down and be calm before either gets food in their dish. Once they are both down and calm the first to respond to the command gets food in their dish first. This pretty much solved our food/protect aggression. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hunter showed a little protective nature towards food when I got him... He would growl (and jumped only once) at Bella if she tried coming closer to his bowl. Was corrected right-away.

Now when feeding raw, I can give a huge meat (one piece) to both of them and they will gently keep ripping it - not fight over it. It is like playing tug without the aggression.

If Bella has a huge piece of meat in her mouth and hunter finished his, he will grab from Bella's mouth and they will tug again till he gets a good chunk again.

Making sure kibble was always available for them at all times was another thing that helped me get over the protectiveness.

I started swapping their dishes while eating and then swapping their places while eating... Then made them both eat from the same bowl after hand feeding...

A lot of work (time and patience) but now it is worth it :)