Husky Mix Up?

angelniki

Hi, just wondering, when you take your gorgeous dogs for walks and someone comes over to admire them - which happens a lot with Loki at the mo, does anyone get asked if their husky is an Akita or in some cases get told it is.

Quite often people will go through multiple breeds including Wolf before they either have to be corrected or their little kid puts them straight. :)

We took Nana to the park a couple months ago. Group of teens walking an 80lb ish sibe with terrible feet, and a tightly curled tail looked at Nana and said in a voice loud enough for us to hear. "Oh, that's not a real husky."

My fake 'husky':

397933_501936506522584_1545392560_n.jpg

That's great XD You don't know how often I get told this. Yuki is 37 pounds so shes 'too small' to be a husky. But their 80 pound huskies are definitely within standard. 

I once had someone try to convince me that I bought a wolf not a dog. 

Mobezilla my husky is near 60 pounds is that normal? he is 1 year and 1 month old.

Typically, females are 35-50 pounds and males are 40-60 pounds. The main problem thats occuring lately is Backyard Breeders breeding dogs with no concern to it being in standard and certainly no concern for the dogs health, thus Jamie's comment about bad feet and a snapped tail and being 80 pounds yet they were considering it a 'real husky' when it actually had multiple faults. Plus you don't want an overly big sibe as a breeder, there is nothing wrong with them as pets and they most certainly will be loved but if breeders make sibes bigger than they will no longer be at the appropriate working weight that is set for their breed. They are supposed to be compact and light to have good endurance and speed. But at 60 pounds he isn't overly large and just on the large side of a standard sibe :)

Funniest was a kid who walked out of a shop, took one look at Bear, screamed WEREWOLF ! And ran  :rofl:

I've had wolf, Akita, GSD x, and the other day, a collie cross ???  I used to get snow dog shouted a lot, but as he's got bigger it's said less and less. Bears over the standard, and looks bigger because he's a woolly but I don't care, even if he doesn't fit on my lap anymore he's still my little furbaby. (And he really doesn't lol)

Typically, females are 35-50 pounds and males are 40-60 pounds. The main problem thats occuring lately is Backyard Breeders breeding dogs with no concern to it being in standard and certainly no concern for the dogs health, thus Jamie's comment about bad feet and a snapped tail and being 80 pounds yet they were considering it a 'real husky' when it actually had multiple faults. Plus you don't want an overly big sibe as a breeder, there is nothing wrong with them as pets and they most certainly will be loved but if breeders make sibes bigger than they will no longer be at the appropriate working weight that is set for their breed. They are supposed to be compact and light to have good endurance and speed. But at 60 pounds he isn't overly large and just on the large side of a standard sibe :)

Mobezilla, is right on target. How big the dog are that are being bred is a big consideration.The general public thinks Sibes are going to be massive dog (wolves, sibes, Mals: they're all the same, right?). Besides the sledge breed being unique to Siberia, the intention of the Chukotka sled dog was rather than breed bigger stronger dogs like a lot of the other husky breeds went, the people of the Chukotka kept smaller dogs that if they needed more pulling power, they hooked up more dogs. Oversized dogs can't travel as efficiently over snow at speed. Something else to consider when looking for a breeder is if they are breeding woollies. That is a big red flag. A woollie doesn't have a ability to insulate against the cold (and heat) like the dogs with the standard coats. A lot of times when I see these dogs being bred, the people simply just don't really understand the breed and think only of producing pets, so it doesn't matter. Unfortunately the same kind of thinking doesn't usually involve breeding for healthy dogs. I was told by one byb that her dogs were healthy because she took them to the vet and they were never sick. 

thanks  :D

Glad its not just us then. Someone said to me 'That's an Iketa int it' to which I replied 'She's a Husky' so they said ' no he int he's an iketa' so I said u mean an Akita and no she's a husky' there's just no telling some people. There was another funny moment when a bloke said 'Is that an Akita' and his 7 or 8 year old said 'No dad don't be silly its a husky'