Hi From Grant And Kato

Grantward94

Found this forum a few days ago and thought I'd better introduce myself and 9 months old husky, Kato. I originally found the site when googling how to begin pulling for some extra exercise and a bit of fun. Any advice would be appreciated. post-10777-13766426187407_thumb.jpg

Kato on his holiday (loving his indi-dog lead)

post-10777-13766427171344_thumb.jpgpost-10777-13766427347844_thumb.jpg

His "come to bed" eyes

Thanks, thought I'd try and get some of that "Pulling enery" out of him as my left arms starting to stretch haha.

first of all: Hi! welcome on board :D your baby is SO handsome! :wub:

second of all: aww I understand your feeling... Huskies pull so hard they're actually capable of injuring their owner's arm/wrist :( but honestly I don't know if teaching him to pull a sled/scooter would teach him walking manners. Some people with working dogs here use a harness to tell the husky "pull as hard as you want" and a collar to say "now walk nicely". So conclusion is even if you intend to get him participate in weight-pulling, he still needs to learn the conventional leash training :) we have loads of advice regarding pulling here. Have a look around ;)

Recently I got a halti to stop him from pulling when walking, which works really well, but obviously he (and many other huskies) love to pull so I like the idea of letting him do what he was bred to do. The only pulling he gets to do just now is when we're running but I feel that he could do better if I was on wheels. Lol

Hiya Grant, welcome to Husky Owners

I know people use different harnesses to let their dogs know when to walk and when to pull, for example. Our youngest, Kaviq, walks with a bit of tension on the lead (I use a walking belt with him) but put his H-back harness on & he's pulling like a train to get running.

At 9 months, you can get him used to different harnesses but hold of on him dragging any weight yet till he's at least 12 months old so as not to damage joints, muscles etc. Take him on short jogs or cycling with you keeping a fairly slack lead for 30-45 mins at a time so he's not straining but getting used to the noise of something being along side or behind him and learning direction commands with you so he's ready to start pulling in a few months time