Aggressive Husky

tsheppard

Hi guys, this is my 1st time posting on this page and im really looking for some help and advice. My girlfriend got me a husky last November, she's fantastic with me, very affectionate and generally well behaved. The big problem is she's not so good with other people including my girlfriend. She'll go over to my girlfriend and look to be petted but when she starts rubbing her the dog will start raising her lip and snarling at her. Im lost as to why she's doing this because my girlfriend loves dogs and shows her as much affection as i do. It's not just my girlfriend, whenever most strangers attempt to pet her she'll make this kind of high pitched growl/moaning noise. Most people i talk to think the dog is too possesive and attached to me. A few people have also suggested that getting her neutered might calm her down a bit. I really dont want to rehome her as i love the dog to bits but it's a serious option at the moment as we're on tenderhooks whenver any1 calls to the house and my girlfriend is very upset that the dog is been like that with her. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks

Siberians don't bark like your stereotypical dog. They moan, woo, and make all sorts of ridiculous noises. Whatever you do, DO NOT scold her for growling if that is truly a threat. You will take away her warning system and she will be less predictable. If you expect her to be in heat, that could be part of it. Also if she is fairly young she may be going through a fear period. I suggest taking treats and whenever she looks at something that she has been known to growl at throw treats on the ground. and tell her she is a good girl. Tell your girlfriend not to pet her, just let the dog come to her. Your girlfriend can also carry around  treats and just at random throw them down. Your Sibe will learn that people are awesome and dispense treats without making her uncofortable and expecting her to interact with them.

Thomas,I'll ask the question that the others have inferred. You say "the dog will start raising her lip and snarling at her".  As the others have said, Husky's are different in that they 'talk' (vocalize) a lot more than most other dogs and do it differently from most. They'll woo, moan, grumble - but these are generally happy sounds.

Has she ever looked like she was seriously going to do damage, has she actually nipped someone? I agree a vid would be a great help since we may see something entirely different from what you're seeing.

Some Husky's do have "sensitivities" (not liking some people) but generally, I think it safe to say that most Husky's are people oriented - they love everyone.  Just, in my case, don't mess with her food!