Kennel Together ?

sarahjng

So, as most of you know we recently added to our family with little freyja, and that's going ok, my question is, we're thinking of getting a kennel for outside,  Bear spends all night outside anyway and freyja seems happy to follow him. We don't need a run and its totally secure but do I get one big kennel and expect them to share happily, or two smaller ones so they have their own space ( and probably end up with both squashed into one !)  Or let him sleep outside and make her come in as she's only little yet ? 

Where do yours sleep, in or out ?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mia and Teo both sleep outside in one large kennel. I think Mia was about 3 months old when she started spending the night outside, we went with what she wanted, she used to stand by the back gate waiting to be let into her run! Now on a night both dogs get excited when the hubby says its bedtime, and if he doesn't make the announcement early enough for them they pester and bark at him until he takes them outside. It makes me feel happy knowing they want to be out in their run/kennel.

Mine sleep inside at night sometimes shadow likes to lay outside late at night and probably would sleep out there id just worry to much

About what ? They don't get cold or anything do they ?  Bear crashes outside the door on the concrete,  he really doesn't want to come in so I just leave the door ajar for him,  the only time he uses it is AFTER its been raining for an hour and he's soaked, then he comes and jumps on the bed and gives me wet husky cuddles the lovely @$#&!@.

About them being stolen where I am now back garden backs onto a road and you can see through my fence etc I don't trust people. Where I'm moving to however garden backs onto nothing so I could consider it however it isn't secure yet

My guys sleep inside.

That's by their choice 

I have a dog flap which gives them 24/7 access to the 150ft back garden.

If they wanted to sleep outside they could, they simply want to be around their Hoomans :)

Kodiak will sleep outside during the day when we are home and in the evening but he always comes in at around 10ish and thats where he stays. He likes to be indoors too. He doesn't sleep in our room but he has the run of the ground floor (excluding living room). I'm not sure I would be able to settle myself if he slept outside all night! I'd probably go and join him :)

I'm surprised people leave them in the garden overnight! I'm way too scared someone would steal them or they'd escape. They're inside at night and any time we leave the house, even if it's only to pop 2 minutes down the road to the shop. 

I'd probably get two. 

I'm surprised people leave them in the garden overnight! I'm way too scared someone would steal them or they'd escape. They're inside at night and any time we leave the house, even if it's only to pop 2 minutes down the road to the shop. 

I'd probably get two.

I feel very lucky where we live our garden is extremley secure with locked gates, a high fence that has returns and security lights. I also sleep in the back bedroom. They sleep in a run/kennel which is padlocked so its impossible for them to escape and would be vertually impossible for someone to break in undetected.

I'm not sure how I would feel if we lived elsewhere, but for us and the dogs sleeping outsife is the preferred option

Still undecided on the two verses one thing, been looking at loads and have to say some of the prices are crazy, just seem a plastic igloo thing for £400,  maybe it's just me being tight but....... I want a car for that lol. I have a feeling one big one might be better with some sort of n overhang at the front.  

As for security,  the kennel won't be downstairs in a garden or anything but on the large balcony outside our bedroom,  about 4ft from our bed,  our kids camped out there as little uns,  ( with the dog, and their dad, and the door open, I was/am a teeny tiny bit of an overprotective worryguts  :rofl:

Worryguts, lol, but know exactly what you mean!

Our kennel is made from sheets of wood, the floor and sides are double skinned with loft installation in between the sides and floor....if that makes sense? The floor of the kennel is carpeted, nice and cosey x

Worryguts, lol, but know exactly what you mean!

Our kennel is made from sheets of wood, the floor and sides are double skinned with loft installation in between the sides and floor....if that makes sense? The floor of the kennel is carpeted, nice and cosey x

Sounds like you made it yourself ?

u know what will happen u will get two and they will end up crashing in just 1 lol rogue sleeps in our bed room between where the two boys sleep, she gets up now and again to have a look they are sleeping then goes back to sleep :) id say just get one see how it goes and if it looks like they are getting squished a bit then get another ?

Martin made it, its fab and much more solid than shop bought ones!

Someone's a handy hubby, do you rent him out ?  :rofl:

u know what will happen u will get two and they will end up crashing in just 1 lol rogue sleeps in our bed room between where the two boys sleep, she gets up now and again to have a look they are sleeping then goes back to sleep :) id say just get one see how it goes and if it looks like they are getting squished a bit then get another ?

That's just what I was thinking