Food For Thought

Mark Marples

a question guys, as ive stated in the introduction thread, we are due to re-home a Husky from a rescue centre, he is currently eating pedigree (which i know is pants) ive been recommended to move him to either Eden or Millies wolfheart

Links

Eden - http://uk.edenpetfoods.com/eden-dog-food-11-c.asp

Millies - http://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/#/countryside-range/4567346306 or http://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/#/salmon-vegetable/4567346779

any thoughts guys, before i take the plunge and order some

also has anyone got any experience with 'Walky Dog' bike attachments

thanks

First off: Hi there :D welcome on board! Thumbs up for choosing to adopt :)

People have differing opinions regarding food. But since most huskies have a sensitive digestive system, us husky owners usually opt for a grain-free dog food. Mine is on Taste Of The Wild and he loves it. Before my local pet store import TOTW to our little town, Diamond was on Eukanuba. He's fine with it too, but he occasionally gets runny poo. I'm not saying TOTW is the all-time best food out there though. Now let's see the brands that are recommended to you:

1. Eden

It sure looks high-quality and tasty (I mean, it actually sounds like something you can eat yourself). But I do find some unusual ingredients. Seaweed, camomile and burdock root? In a dog food?  :huh: Idk those might indicate a high quality dog food but it's just that I don't usually find those stuffs in a dog food's ingredients list. Because other than those peculiar (IMO) stuffs, this dog food sounds great. 

2. Wolfheart 

Again this one is looking good. And oh look it also got seaweed camomile and burdock root  :lol: guess it's not that unusual after all. One thing I'm worried about is the fact that it's a working dog specialized food. I heard that working+sporting dogs require a specific meal to maintain their stamina, and if you have a dog that is just a pet then he's going to be bouncing off the walls with all those extra energy  :o unless you're planning to get your dog involved in a racing team? I also wonder why would they shape the pellets into triangles... It might be just my boy, but Diamond has a hard time chewing anything that is harder than a cheese and not flat. He needs his apple to be cut down to teeny tiny square pieces so that he can chew it properly. If the piece is too big he'd chew it and spit it back out a couple of times to make it softer. Baby Dime is my first and only dog, but looking at the fact that most dog food pellets are shaped circle or round, I think there must be quite a number of other dogs that have the same problem. 

But it all comes down to your dog. Some huskies are unbelievably picky so what about trying out both? :) good luck!

Walky Dogs are awesome.

just remember when fitting the under seat stem collar

tighten it as hard as you can

Otherwise the attachment bar will be moving, potentially getting in the way of your legs.

It's a fantastic way to exercise your Dawg.

My boy Darwin had me up to 25MPH on a downhill slope. :)

Hi Mark, Welcome to the forum and we'll give you High Marks (ouch, sorry!) for rescuing your boy.

Since I don't know anything about the two foods that have been recommended to you I'll just make a comment.

Some Husky's tend to be real picky about what they'll eat so any change in diet should be made over time, that is start substituting some of the new food for some of the old food and gradually increase the amount (over a week or two) until you're feeding only the new diet.

Some Husky's will have real loose feces on a food on which another Husky will do great. If it were all "cut and dried" we'd all be feeding <take you pick>. 

If he doesn't like it, or if you end up with "sloppy poo" after a week or so then be prepared to play the experimentation game until you find "his special brand".