A Couple Questions...

kaseyandandi

I've got a 2 months old husky who we brought home about a week ago.  This is my first time with this breed and it seems like all I can do is come up with more and more questions about them  :D  I've tried looking online and that's been pretty helpful but there are still a few questions I need some help with.

Question 1: Is it better to put her on an actual feeding schedule or give her the bowl and just keep it filled?  So far we have been doing the second and it seems ok.  She doesn't gorge herself like some of the dogs I've had and she isn't aggressive or possessive at all.  Does this mean it will be ok to keep letting her have constant access to it or will it start to breed bad behaviors?

Question 2:  Everything I've read says that huskies are one of the worst shedders.  I was just wondering about what time I should start looking forward to that.  Like i said she's only 2 months but so far there is very very little shedding.  Is that because of the age? 

Questions are always good! i still have many questions from time to time, they never fail to amaze =)

1)IF she isn't gorging you could possibly keep it down. I personally like to be on a schedule, sometimes he may get it a little later or earlier so he doesn't know what to expect and isn't waiting in the kitchen when time comes. Another reason is Panda scuffs down kibble really fast and can probably eat like 7 cups before stopping. He is also fairly sensitive so even a tad more and he will get the runs. He's now on a RAW diet so i can't leave that out either.

2)They shed all year round, but panda blows his coat after winter during spring and he is currently blowing now as well slightly before fall time possibly to get the winter coat coming. You will find it slightly differs between each husky but you can expect a good blow 2-3 times a year. Panda's first coat blow was around 8-9 months.

Hi Kassandra! 

Reply one:  I think you'll find that most people here keep their dogs on a feeding schedule since Sibes have a habit of overeating and then gaining weight.  A girl I had earlier and the male I have now are free fed and both were good.  Neither over ate, neither put on any weight.  The female I have now was good until I had her spayed and now she's putting on weight so I've switched her to a one cup a day - and she's still putting on weight! (disgusting!)

This really falls into the "your call" category, if she doesn't overeat and you keep her food fresh then free feeding isn't a problem.

Reply two:  You'll eventually experience her "blowing her coat" - there won't be any doubt in your mind what's going on!!  Remember that Husky's have two coats, the coarser guard hairs which give her the color and a normally finer inner coat.  The guard hairs shed like any other dog, a little at a time.  She'll molt the inner coat normally twice a year ( for about 6 months each time! :) ) (( seriously, different dogs molt differently, some "blow" once in the spring and once in the fall, some blow once a year .... ))

Be prepared to spend a good bit of time "grooming" her and be prepared to get a new vacuum cleaner ....

giggles, Sasha blew her coat in the spring - as expected; she is now blowing it again - I live in the desert of Texas where the temps have been around 100f for the better part of 4 months ...

1. You'll know if she's overeating, because her poo will be runny.

at that point I would stop "free" feeding and put a much smaller measured dose in the bowl.

2. As Al' says Oh, yeah you'll know when it happens.

She'll start getting little tufts sticking out and the amount of fur tumbleweeding around the house will escalate.

Then you should be grooming her every day and every day it will look like you've just sheared a sheep. Every day

for between 1 and 2 months !!!

Coat blowing can start as early as age 8 or 9 months or as late as 2 years. All depends on the dawg :)