2 Better Than 1?

sarah1988beth

Do huskies tend to do better with a pack mate? Or is this a myth? I am looking into fostering a female with possibly adopting her if she does well and if we are approved. The one we took care of always had a dog to nest with in NY so I guess I am just curious what everyone thoughts are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;p

Many of us have found that a second calms the first down.

By having company at home to play with can help a lot with S.A. (separation anxiety)

Plus. . . well, twice the fun :P

I found it easier once I got my second dog, but it does depend on the dog.  When I got Yukon, Nikko was 9 months old and through all of his training.  And Yukon was just a puppy, about 8 weeks old.

I have asked many different people and husky rescues if they recommended 2 boys, 2 girls, one of each, and most have said that the only thing you would want to avoid is 2 females, but I don’t really think it matters…most thing that matters is I would make sure both are fixed, especially if you have a male and female.

I would love a shelter dog! Duke was a Craigslist dog that needed to relearn home rules and get up to days on shots, fixed and chipped so I'm not concerned about the crazy part! :) I just don't want him lonely. Plus I think it would be pretty cool to teach the two of them to pull the kids on a sled! :)

nova our new addition was within hours of being killed & although akira our first dog is still not entirely happy i think our decision to include nova in our family speaks for itself - however its only natual to worry about compatibility issues between the dogs,

We are hoping everything runs smoothly and after just reading your post about them playing I find myself nervous and a bit humored :) this shall be interesting to say the least!

haven't read @daltor's thread yet but as long as you introduced two dogs the right way, usually they get along pretty quick. Plus once you got to know them better you'll learn to read their body language and signs so you'd be able to stop fights before it even occurs :) Good luck and PICTURES please ;)

EDIT: can I just say that I'm dying to get a second? :( Diamond loves loves LOVES other dogs I can tell he's super bored being an only dog atm :( he's also the kind of dog that just loves everybody he doesn't mind having a strange dog walking up to "his" property. There have been lots of times when neighbors and families show up with their dogs unannounced. I thought Dime is gonna be all territorial at first (after all he's an intact male) but six dogs later I know introducing him to a second won't be that much of a challenge. Aww moments like this I wish time would fly faster 

Duke loves the idea of having a playmate unfortunately the new dog does not at the moment :(post-10751-13774466832149_thumb.jpgpost-10751-13774467084479_thumb.jpg

She is an Alaskan husky. She was tied outside for 4 years so I am thinking I am over my head here. We are only fostering though so if she doesn't work out, well at least I know duke likes other dogs :)

Duke loves the idea of having a playmate unfortunately the new dog does not at the moment :(attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1377446634.053670.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1377446661.136717.jpg

She is an Alaskan husky. She was tied outside for 4 years so I am thinking I am over my head here. We are only fostering though so if she doesn't work out, well at least I know duke likes other dogs :)

just give it time for "everyone" to get used - its very early days & initially you do wonder if you've done the right thing - my two are gradually coming together & apart from a some major skirmishes that i was honestly concerned about everything is tolerable.

my little nova (one left on pic) had been abused - very nervous & only skin & bone

she was very food aggressive but now after only 4 weeks that problem is 95% sorted - also, she was not house trained & that is now totally sorted

we had them at a doggy fun park today & we found to our surprise that "the little one" was protecting akira (the big quiet one) against dogs twice her size - doggy parks can be very rough places but she is one tough little lady & as fast as lighting.

seems like your dog has also been abused/neglected - just stick with it & in a month or so you will see the change - i wouldn't be without our new addition for anything.