Vet Rant!!!! So Irritated

CARRINGTON

I am already having a stressful day, but Balto went to the vet for his runny poop. All she told us was no more treats only boiled chicken and to give him science diet for sensitive stomachs but it has corn in it twice which Balto cannot stomach. We told her this and she said there is nothing more she can do unless he is put on those. So we said we would switch vets and we called and they have all said the same thing!!!! I am so angry I think Balto ate something off the floor but they don't care or won't do anything until he has been on that!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I think that he may have eaten a piece of plastic off the floor but I am not 100% but the vet won't even check he has to be on science diet before she will do anything else. I feel so bad for Balto!!!! I don't think the plastic was a big piece but something small that must have been left after I just swept the floor. I am at a loss and I have no idea what else to do.

Honestly Yuki has eaten tons of things, plastic knobs, toys, sock, etc, I never took her to the vet unless I would have seen blood in her stool or if she had stopped pooping and there was a possibility of obstruction. I would never put mine on Science Diet, Yuki cannot manage chicken or grain so thats a huge nono, and all the holistic vets around me are outrageous (one wanted $73 for every 15 minutes of talking to the vet).

Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is Yuki got runny poo all the time from eating plastic, but it passed alright.

So I would say just keep an eye on him and make sure there is no blood or obstruction and he should be alright :)

I know that the three vets that I've used recently two I use now for different purposes and the one preceding both of these are exceptional but there are really times when I read here or listen to some people talk about their vets that really make me wonder.

I use a local vet here in Terlingua - he's actually a retired vet who services those of us who live in the area - but I swear that he's more in touch with the animal world than a lot of your vets are.  We go for 5 year rabies vaccinations - it's the maximum that's allowed - rather than the yearly, because more than that isn't needed (and we haven't had a case of rabies here in the county since Hector was a pup ...).  He's not too fond of Husky's - and since Sasha's tried to nip him twice, I kinda understand - but he does know that she's been overweight, even before she was spayed.  He doesn't sell dog food and doesn't recommend any particular brand but will educate people on what to look for in a good food (and his recommendations is right!)

The other vet I use locally (80 miles away) is to board the hounds when I have to go to the VA Hospital.  She also is good and is a full line vet (big and small animals) with an operating room on the premises (as opposed to the small operating room used for neutering).  When I leave the dogs, she provides the food, they get walked three times a day, oven get some grooming if the staff have the time - all for $15 per dog per night.

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a good vet I could talk to ... I'd be really frustrated trying to find one to take care of the occasional emergency.

I know I'm lucky, and you all have my sympathy - I'd get mad too!!!!

i have no idea why Science plan is the recommended brand, seriously I think it should be against the law for vets to have a brand in the vets and stat its what is best every time you going in.  

So, runnies....I agree with the vet, stop treats, if on any and do the chicken thing.

normally when K&P get the runs, even if they have eaten something within a couple of days it sorts itself, if it continues this is normally because of some sort of change, be it weather, intake of food, when they are blowing can some times affect how much they eat.

sometimes, they do start getting sensitive towards the food they are eating, so a change wouldn't be a bad thing, but I would suggest doing some research into different brands, if it continues.

I've looked into science plan, and I personal don't think it is any better than the other dog foods out there, I am also fortunate that the vets I go to don't try and push science plan on me.

From what you are telling us, the vet refuses to look at Balto any further, unless you feed Science Diet?  Is Balto otherwise, normal?  His activity level is normal?  He remains hungry?  Drinks the same amount of water?

I'm not a veterinarian, not even played one on TV, but if it were me in your shoes, this is what I would do.

1. Buy the smallest bag of that Science Diet the vet has, just to appease the vet.  Give it to a neighbor who has a dog.  Tell them it was a give away, and Balto won't eat that brand.
  2. Don't feed Balto any food for 24 hours.
  3. Start Balto on a diet of boiled skinless chicken and steamed rice, two meals per day, about 3/4 to 1 cup per meal mixed 60/40 (rice/chicken).  No treats!
  4. Alternatively, if you are concerned that Balto has digested something and it may be sitting in his tummy, pasta with olive oil (a bit messy) sometimes help slide objects through the tubes. No more than two or three meals, however.  No Treats!
  5. Pick up a can of plain pumpkin.  Give Balto a spoon or two a day.
  6. After three or four days, see if his stools are firmed up.
  7. If so, gradually switch back to Balto's regular food.  Will take you about a week to ten days.  Go too fast, and you my end up with squirts again.
  8. If not, it's back to the vet.  Hope the bridge is still intact.  If not, you may have to mend the relationship a bit.

We are so fortunate to have the vet we do.  While he sells Science Diet, his philosophy on dog food is aligned with common sense and is not jilted by hype or corporate payoffs.  He neither pushes, nor insists on Science Diet, merely has it available, may mention or suggest, but that's as far as it goes.  He will provide alternative suggestions if you don't want to buy or use SD.  He truly cares, not only about the animals that he sees, but about their human counterparts.  Sort of a rarity these days.

Listen, good luck.  If we can help with other suggestions, or you simply need to vent a bit, that's what this place is all about.  Let us know what happens over the next few days.  Balto's health is important to you, and to us.

That's beyond disgusting behaviour! Vets should be in it for the health of pets, not the money of sponsors!

As everyone else has said, boiled chicken should clear him out, and as long as he's acting normally and drinking fine, don't worry too much :)

- Caity

How is Balto doing? 

When Chula had her obstruction I went to an emergency vet. Of course she was vomiting and had been for 24 hours so they did xrays right away. They had no way of knowing I was telling the truth though. 

The only options they really have are to try to see if it passes, or to do xrays. If you're really concerned, just tell an emergency vet you think he ingested a foreign body and want an xray. Just be ready for the cost!

How is Balto doing?

When Chula had her obstruction I went to an emergency vet. Of course she was vomiting and had been for 24 hours so they did xrays right away. They had no way of knowing I was telling the truth though.

The only options they really have are to try to see if it passes, or to do xrays. If you're really concerned, just tell an emergency vet you think he ingested a foreign body and want an xray. Just be ready for the cost!

Balto is good we found a different vet who told us to keep him on ToTW if that works for him and asked if we had been to the puppy park which we had 5 days before diarrhea started. So they ran a fecal which the other vet didn't do and he has giradia and is on medicine for 10 days and his stool is already hard after 3 days use.

That's beyond disgusting behaviour! Vets should be in it for the health of pets, not the money of sponsors!

As everyone else has said, boiled chicken should clear him out, and as long as he's acting normally and drinking fine, don't worry too much :)

- Caity

My vet made me angry but we switched