Breed Opinions Wanted !

BearsSlave

Hello !

In about 6-7months time we will be possibly looking at getting bear some company !
opinions on these breeds I have now shortlisted:

. Czechoslovakian wolf hound
. Saarloos wolf hound
. Collie
. Akita
. GSD
. Utonagan
. Malamute
. Beauceron
. Eurasier
. Norwegian Elkhound

if anyone can tell me their personal experience with any of this it would be fantastically helpful as I like to do a LARGE amount of homework before choosing a dog !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have personal experience of GSD's and another breed you haven't got on there, Greenland dog.

What are you looking for in a companion for Bear? That might help in narrowing your choices even more. For example, are you wanting to run the dogs etc? Why are you looking at a different breed & not the same as Bear? Just trying to help sort things out that I would look at when thinking of another dog

I have personal experience of GSD's and another breed you haven't got on there, Greenland dog.

What are you looking for in a companion for Bear? That might help in narrowing your choices even more. For example, are you wanting to run the dogs etc? Why are you looking at a different breed & not the same as Bear? Just trying to help sort things out that I would look at when thinking of another dog

I am looking for something of high-very high intelligence and fairly high energy level as we enjoy long walks,needs to be good with other dogs,ideally good with cats but that isn't a must have, i'd like to do obedience classes or possibly working dog classes.

Bear's cross is also included it's just obviously I know about them as I have him so there was no need to put him Xbreed on the list :)

are you getting them from rescues or as puppy from breeder. ??

I'm not sure, whatever is right for us, if the right rescue dog doesn't come up then we will look at breeders but rescue will be our first port of call.

I am looking for something of high-very high intelligence and fairly high energy level as we enjoy long walks,needs to be good with other dogs,ideally good with cats but that isn't a must have, i'd like to do obedience classes or possibly working dog classes.

Bear's cross is also included it's just obviously I know about them as I have him so there was no need to put him Xbreed on the list :)

I'm not sure, whatever is right for us, if the right rescue dog doesn't come up then we will look at breeders but rescue will be our first port of call.

It's just that some breeds Collie for example are great dogs, but as puppies are an absolute nightmare, Ultra hyper from day one, will chew and eat EVERYTHING in your house

Shoes, clothes, cupboards, furniture, EVERYTHING and that's full on for at least the first two years

Even Labrador Pups can be a handful.

I would recommend a rescue two years and over whatever breed you choose.

I have a White GSD she is a great companion for my two Huskies and is a fantastic guard dog.

Following on from my message earlier, I have narrowed down my choices to
. Husky or Mal crossed with something like a GSD or collie
. Untonagan
we will best suit a spayed female of 1yr+, she needs to be house trained and good with dogs and cats but aside from that we are fairly flexible !
if anyone hears of anything please let us know.

good luck! :) GSD and rough collies are both my second favorite breed. They're just so beautiful :D Mals, idk... they're cute and all but I hear here and there about them being super grumpy. They're also known to be superb escape artists which might give me too many heart attacks to handle :S 

Utonagans... they're amazing dogs but personally I think you're gonna have a tough time finding one. Guess that's what gonna make the dog so special though :) and again: good luck!

Hidden

First off, if there is a chance you are looking for a purebred, start talking with responsible breeders NOW. Whenever we look at puppy requests, among the first in the 'no' pile are those who get the idea of finding a puppy when they want one, rather than finding a breeder and waiting for the right puppy.

Good breeders usually will work with local rescues and will help you find the right dog for you.

Czechoslovakian wolf hound

There is a very good vlkak breeder on the htpuppies group on facebook.

. Collie

Smooth or rough? The smooth coated dogs are more often working dogs and have less of that difficult coat (although you can find good rough collies with proper working coats in the nooks and crannies)

. Akita
Be prepared for some dog aggression with this breed. Also, make sure you know if you are wanting a Japanese Akita or an American Akita.

. GSD
This is another breed that you have to know what you want. I do not like to recommend the American bred GSDs. Way too often you see either dogs that cannot truly function as a proper herding dog or sport bred dogs that have a stupid crazy bite drive that no rancher on the planet would willingly put with livestock.  More of this type is what I prefer looking at GSD: DSC_0162.jpg

Malamute
Another breed I prefer from a working line. Coats in show animals can require a lot of care, while working dogs are rough wear like sibe coats should be.

. Beauceron

Neat breed. Similar to GSD in purpose. 

. Eurasier
Make sure with any of the breeds of spitz or husky you take a good look. Siberians were one of the few where temperaments were part of the developement of the breed. Other spitz can be short fused and prone to correct behaviors they quickly deem inappropriate.

. Norwegian Elkhound

With the breeds you are choosing, are you looking for more of a guardian breed?

One that is not on your list but kind of fits your description would be a Malinois. But like any of the breeds you have mentioned you would need to do a lot of research and meet breeders to carefully assess the suitability. 

One that is not on your list but kind of fits your description would be a Malinois. But like any of the breeds you have mentioned you would need to do a lot of research and meet breeders to carefully assess the suitability.

Mals really aren't the breed for most people, unless you want a super high drive, very serious working dog for a purpose they aren't going to be suitable.

I have a WL Mal and LOVE them, but there is a reason they are the ultimate working dog and aren't suitable for most pet owners.

Extremley awesome dogs but definitely need a job and a very very skilled handler!

Here's another breed for you to take a look at: Tamaskan dog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamaskan_Dog

http://www.sylvaen.com/

Obviously you like wolf like dogs, well in my opinion this is the best of 'em to have as a pet. It looks like a wolf, acts like a husky and is loyal like a GSD (at least that's how it's advertised).

I did a bit of reasearch about the Czechoslovakian wolf hound at the time we were getting a dog, and let me tell you, that dog ain't easy, it's more like a wolf than a dog.

Mals really aren't the breed for most people, unless you want a super high drive, very serious working dog for a purpose they aren't going to be suitable.

I have a WL Mal and LOVE them, but there is a reason they are the ultimate working dog and aren't suitable for most pet owners.

Extremley awesome dogs but definitely need a job and a very very skilled handler!

Although I have no experience with Malinois I did a bit of reading up on them after seeing a pic of a Herzhund Mal, such a magnificent dog, so powerful and agile. I like the analogy that they are the F1 of working dog breeds, not every one has the skill to drive one.  

I did mention doing plenty of research, but you have said said it so much better than I ever could.

I'd love to see some pics of your dogs.

Edit - Unfortunately too much dog for me right now  :D

Getting off topic now...

Jase she is very stunning, not biased though of course! Even more stunning now a year later as she has matured heaps and muscled up really nicely. She's actually a Nordenstamm dog, we are hoping to have the first Herzhund litter from her later this year.

Mydiamond random fact I am actually part Chinese ;) my hair isn't quite that red anymore (the pic of wiz and I in the white dress) I go different shades of red all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure why but for ages I couldn't find this page again :rolleyes: 
okay so we will be looking for something that will doesn't mind a fair amount of exercise,is very dog friendly and will act as a big brother/sister figure with bear !
I do love the wolf look and don't mind a bit of hard work as long as it's not a wild animal that ends up being unhappy living with us !

I came across a untonagan female at the rescue I help out at and we thought she was perfect in every way for what we wanted, and got along with bear fantastically but at the last minute the fosterers decided to keep her :(:)