New Puppy Owner Having Some Troubles

Kayla's Misha

Hello Everyone!  I am a new husky puppy owner for about a month now.  Misha is a 4 month old girl and since I've gotten her I've had a few issues.  First it was eating rocks, which has stopped for the most part.  She hasn't had good bowels since I've had her, soft to diarrhea the next.  She is VERY small ( I think ) for her age.  4 months and at the vet the other day weighed 16.5 lbs....is that normal? I know she is slightly underweight as well, but she is growing.  Any advice? She is eating science diet puppy/lg breed dog food.

My second question is I noticed last night that her nose and lips are turning pink.  I read online about snow nose, but does that involve lips? And it's still summer time.. I don't get it....

Thanks!

Oh and I also found out yesterday that her stool was positive for liver flukes, even though a month ago she was negative.  I was told that perhaps her eating rocks phase she ate some snails/slugs and got them....and that might have to do with some of her bowels and lack of growing issues.....has anyone had or heard of this??

How much are you feeding her? i would considering switching to a different brand of dog food. Science diet isn't one of the best kibbles and is in fact pretty low down there. 

I wouldn't worry too much about weight atm, each dog grows differently at different paces. Panda was fairly small when he was a puppy and all the other huskies at the park were larger, but he has caught up now and is slightly heavier. 

Snow nose doesn't necessarily have to happen during wintery weathers. It's a loss of pigmentation. Do you use plastic food/water bowls? that may cause it sometimes as I've heard. 

When Panda was a pup he had a lot of pink in his nose. ( not snow nose) just light pink but has since turned mostly black with the exception of one spot inside the nose.

I bought science diet because the vet recommended it.  I was thinking of switching to blue buffalo or the taste of the wild.  I am feeding her 2 1/2 cups a day right now ( slightly more than the bag recommended because she is slightly underweight)

I am using a plastic dog bowl.  Like I said I've only had her for a month, and her nose was completely black.  Now it's a full stripe of pink through the middle and her lips are turning pink too.  Should I change the bowl to metal? 

I've never heard of the plastic/metal bowls turning their nose/lips pink.  What shade of pink is it?  Does it look like staining?  When I got Yukon his nose was completely black, and it turned flesh colored.  His fur was stained as well from the cheap puppy chow the breeder fed him.  I am not sure if it could be the food or not, so you might want to ask a vet.  I am not a fan of vets suggesting brands of food though, it makes me think they are getting kick backs from certain foods.

That does sound slightly small but I would not be overly concerned unless you can see her ribs.  Yukon was only 25lbs at that age, and Nikko was 35lbs so it depends on the dog.

A trick to help with the runs is a couple tablespoons of pure canned pumpkin.  Huskies have very sensitive stomachs too, so just a little too much food will give them the runs.

The loose feces you're seeing is quite probably due to too much food.  Husky's will often eat everything in sight (and anything they can sniff out that isn't!) and then we get to regret it.  You'll probably find that things will tighten up after:

• you get those liver flukes taken care of - they cause diarrhea (and worse things!)  Has your vet prescribed anything (and if so, what?)
  • cut her food back to the point of almost starvation and her stool gets better.  As noted, too much food goes in one end and out the other!
  • you stop worrying so much! << tease! >>

While she sounds like she's small for her age, the liver flukes will account for a lot of that, get that taken care of and you'll probably see some good weight gain.  On the other hand, Husky's are like people, they come in all type of shapes, colours and sizes!  So long as she seems to be healthy and she gets run past the vet at least every six months or so for a quick check up - *I* wouldn't be all that concerned about her size now.

So I do have to ask though Kayla, what part of New York are you from - my original home (family home) is extreme upstate (close to i-81 and the Canadian border).

She is getting medication for the flukes.  Started Panacur yesterday ( 1x/day for 3 days, then repeat in 3 weeks).  I'm hoping this medication gets rid of those flukes for good!  I try to take anything bad out of her mouth, but she's fast...

I don't want to cut down her food too much though if she's underweight....  :(

And I am from upstate NY, about an hour southwest of Albany!

And yes, I do worry a lot lol I can't help it!!   :D

thanks! So do you think it will turn back to black? Or will it eventually all turn pink and stay like that? It worried me because it happened so fast!

not a clue sometimes it can change back , sometimes it will go all pink sometimes only part goes pink n stays that way . Only time will tell unfortunately

I would say the weight would be down to the liver flukes, I don't know what they are but they sound nasty? Khaleesi has struggled with really bad worms, but since we've treated her she's piled the weight on. They say you should body score them based on how much rib you can.feel rather than go on their actual weight...google it it might make you feel better.

Hope she's feeling better soon...x

I would definitely suggest switching her off that food. Vets don't get courses in nutrition, they just get companies who pay them to sell their food. Yuki is sensitive to grains and chicken so feeding her a food that has wheat and chicken in it would undoubtedly make her sick. A lot of huskies can't tolerate grain in kibble so I'd look into a grain-free brand, which may solve the problems with stool for you right there. If you go to dogfoodadvisor.com you can search different foods, I personally do TOTW but 4Health is a great but cheaper option I know a lot of people do.