Best Flooring For Dog?

lynnmw1208

So my husband and I are looking to rip out all the carpet on our first floor and put porcelain or laminate flooring. What kinds of flooring do you guys have or have had that holds up to running huskies? I really like the laminate because it looks like wood but I think the porcelain would last longer. What are your thoughts?

I have just ripped up my downstairs carpets and put laminate throughout the downstairs area.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier to sweep (with a hairdressers broom) and mop

to keep clean.

There is an argument to say that anything like wooden/laminate/tiled floors isn't good for dogs as they slip and slide and can dislocate a leg - but I've never actually heard of anyone's dog suffering a dislocation (but I can see the logic behind the warning). Our dogs are on carpet or plywood - by chance it isn't slippery (and it's only that as the lovely parquet flooring which was laid on top was variously eaten, dug up or both!)

I have carpet in the living room and laminate in the kitchen and dining.  Honestly, I prefer the carpet.  It hides the fur and easier to clean, although shampooing it can be a pain.  And the way mine run around like fools they wouldn't get any traction with all laminate lol. 

Thanks for the replies! We were considering laminate as it is so close to wood as well. I was wondering how durable it is with nails, bones and possible accidents with the soon to be new pack member. We are actually considering porcelain tiles as well, but the kind that looks like wood. I would love to keep carpet, but with the cats throwing a hair ball every other day, and salty dog feet, it gets stinky so fast!! Lol pain to clean too!

We have laminate tiles everywhere except for the front hallway (marble), the family/living room (carpet), and the bedrooms (carpet).

And I have to say: the laminate tile flooring is good and bad. For one: they slip and slide around on it, and mine fell one time and smacked his face against the cupboard corner (he was okay, but it scared the daylights outta me!). But, they are also easy to clean (fur, etc). 

As for durability: excellent! There are no scratch marks or damage at all, and while my husky doesn't exactly sprint around the house, there is no visible damage and we've had him for 4 years.