Wireless Fence

Joe Karas

None of them. They are not replacements for a 6ft fence and nor are they easy. You have to devote a good bit of time to training a dog with them and even then an independent breed like Sibes will often run right through them.

Plus, dogs are better at staying inside visible fencing.

One of the big problems I have seen with these is that they don't prevent things from coming in to you yard. The dogs can be easily stolen, or other dogs can confront your dog in his own yard and leave your dog with no escape except for through the fence.

I would agree and not recommend invisible fencing the only thing that is going to keep a husky contained is supervision and at least a 6 ft privacy fence that is 1 ft underground or have cement blocks to prevent digging underneath.

In all honesty, I would not trust a buried fence as the only retention device for a Husky. Most of them are ineffective on Huskies. They have a purpose for some breeds, but for a Husky, they are only effective when installed in conjunction with a traditional fence, when buried inside the traditional fence line. We have ours inside a traditional fence. The traditional fence slows them down enough so the buried fence can have any chance of keeping them back. That keeps them from tunneling under.

There are some who claim the collars cause pain, do damage, and I've seen unsupported claims of electrocution. Does the correction hurt? Yes, but it scares them more than anything. Ours soon learned the boundaries. It also emmits an audible beep when they are four feet from the line, and increases as they get closer. In the five years we have had the system, there have been four corrections with three dogs. That's it. No damage, no electrocution. Our dogs have not escaped, nor have they tunneled under the fence. Something Huskies are noted for.

I would not, however, rely on a buried fence alone. The prey drive of a Husky will override it every time. They see a squirrel, a rabbit, or another dog and they will take off and the buried fence may not even phase them, because they are over the line so fast.

Also. . . You only need one "Brownout" while your dogs out there and you'll be searching for them for hours.

I raised this topic two years ago, when we got our Husky pup Een and got a lot of negative feedback. Most folks (99%) are against an electronic/invisible fence.

Two years later we have been 100% successful and our dogs run free on an open 1 acre property, they are the joy of the neighborhood. My white lab has been on an invisible fence now almost 5 years, with no issues.

We will not have the dogs in the yard if we are not home, or at night when sleeping.

We live in a large very safe gated neighborhood though, so there is no risk from outside the property. This is an important consideration.

Also, the type of invisible fence is important, don't go cheap. Important features are warning prior to correction, adjustable width of the warning and correction yard zone and adjustable intensity of the correction. Also low battery alarm and fence integrity alarms are important features

Personally, if I had to contain Een in a small area with the only exercise being walks, I would not have a Husky. He loves to run and when the two dogs play running in the yard, some neighbors going by, stop to watch the show. One day I will post a video.

077.jpg

I raised this topic two years ago, when we got our Husky pup Een and got a lot of negative feedback. Most folks (99%) are against an electronic/invisible fence.

Two years later we have been 100% successful and our dogs run free on an open 1 acre property, they are the joy of the neighborhood. My white lab has been on an invisible fence now almost 5 years, with no issues.

We will not have the dogs in the yard if we are not home, or at night when sleeping.

We live in a large very safe gated neighborhood though, so there is no risk from outside the property. This is an important consideration.

Also, the type of invisible fence is important, don't go cheap. Important features are warning prior to correction, adjustable width of the warning and correction yard zone and adjustable intensity of the correction. Also low battery alarm and fence integrity alarms are important features

Personally, if I had to contain Een in a small area with the only exercise being walks, I would not have a Husky. He loves to run and when the two dogs play running in the yard, some neighbors going by, stop to watch the show. One day I will post a video.

077.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

Always good to get a balanced view :up:

077.jpg

And, in that two years, I'll bet the number of "zaps" has been few if any.

I had a friend with two huskies..one short hair one longer hair..they were trained for the fence and did wonderful with it but one day they were running full sprint and the wooly went straight through the zone and it seemed to not bother him at all like his hair absorbed the shock and as soon as he noticed he was out he ran and ran and ran and after that one attempt he continued to do it without it bothering him so they switched to regular fencing ..but the short hair husky did get shocked and stopped her dead in her tracks before even reaching the cross over line and she never went near it again..so I guess it all depends..we thought about getting one but hate our dogs wearing collars as we've seen other huskies whom wear collars all the time and their hair is horrible around the neckline so we prefer nothing on our dogs unless when going somewhere or let outside alone which is rarely as larka as got caught on fence while digging under with her collar on...but anyway hope to hear your feedback when you try it to let others also know

I had a friend with two huskies..one short hair one longer hair..they were trained for the fence and did wonderful with it but one day they were running full sprint and the wooly went straight through the zone and it seemed to not bother him at all like his hair absorbed the shock and as soon as he noticed he was out he ran and ran and ran and after that one attempt he continued to do it without it bothering him so they switched to regular fencing ..but the short hair husky did get shocked and stopped her dead in her tracks before even reaching the cross over line and she never went near it again..so I guess it all depends..we thought about getting one but hate our dogs wearing collars as we've seen other huskies whom wear collars all the time and their hair is horrible around the neckline so we prefer nothing on our dogs unless when going somewhere or let outside alone which is rarely as larka as got caught on fence while digging under with her collar on...but anyway hope to hear your feedback when you try it to let others also know

During initial training Een would blow the fence while I had him on a leash. The collar needs special attention on a Husky, due to their thick hair. It is a special collar and has to be fitted right. I believe this is the main reason most Husky owners fail.

The companies recommend shaving the area where the collar rests.

I won't recommend that. You can see Een's collar in the pic above, it is a normal dog collar with a little box on the bottom  It gives him the freedom he deserves.

As mentioned above, there are not many folks in favor of the concept,

Our best test is when deer enters our yard. Both dogs will freeze until the deer steps over the fence. They will charge full speed and as the deer exit, they will come to a screeching halt right before the fence.

Some folks think the correction is cruel. On our system the correction is adjusted to a level low enough where I can hold the current discharging in my hand. It is more the surprise element that does the trick. The system also has a beeper with a vibrator that gives ample warning prior to correction. I think my dogs only got zapped in the beginning during the training period. The Lab will obey the fence without her collar, but Huskies are smart. Een will test it frequently.