Weight, Diet And Poo!!

Luna04

Hello!

Firstly, please excuse my post here as I do not have a husky but a Samoyed :)

As northern breed owners, I was looking for advice regarding weight and diet. Luna is 2 years and 4 months, spayed after her first season, stands a good 22" tall and currently weighs 18.3Kg. (hopefully you can see attachments of her in the bath where her coat is laying flat.  post-6907-0-60714100-1377539288_thumb.jppost-6907-0-34798200-1377539302_thumb.jp

I went to the vet and he said that she could afford to gain 2kg or so. He suggested increasing her food (burns) by 10% and see how she gets on. I have tried this and have tried adding a spoonful of naturediet to her dry food to make it more inviting for her. This led to really runny, jelly like stools so I took her off the naturediet and kept her on the increased kibble amount, she still has runny stools which are yellowy!! 

Please share your thoughts!! 

(P.s, all up to date with worming treatments etc) 

Thank you!

Awww, I want to see fluffy samoyed pictures! My uncle had one and he was the sweetest fluff ball.

I'm not familiar with that particular food, but what is the protein content? Is the food grain free? You could try a higher protein grain-free food and see if it works. You could also try feeding smaller meals more times a day in order to up the total consumption.

My first reaction to the first pictures was "What'd you do to that poor dog!!!" then when I read and realized she was wet, I had to laugh at my reaction ... beautiful dog!!

Vets and the northern breeds just don't belong in the same sentence together, especially if the word "food" is involved.  Past experience here has shown that either they don't know what they're talking about -or- they're going to try to sell you on their "special diet" food (from which they get a commission). 

As far as I'd go is what I have to say about most dogs ... if they're healthy, not drastically under or overweight, eat a reasonable amount then let it go - all you're going to accomplish is to stress yourself (and also your dog) over something that shouldn't be a problem. At 18k (40lbs) a 2k difference isn't all that much to be concerned with.

When I was a kid, living in Illinois, we were gifted with a Samoyed, beautiful dog but the previous owner had to move him on when he - literally - pulled down one of the pillars supporting his porch!  Regrettably, we had to have him put down after he decided that the neighbors sheep were lunch, the neighbor says that he could, maybe, have tolerated one sheep, but Nanuk killed two and two others had to be put down.  Broke a fairly hefty chain to pull that stunt! 

She does look a sight when shes wet but its the best way to really get an understanding of her shape without her coat in the way! 

Yes this is true but I have to say, my vet has not tried to get me to buy their vet food at all which is nice. Also it seems that a lot of vets would rather see their clients slightly underweight opposed to slightly over. 

She is quite a happy dog. I am probably being over cautious with her (she is my first dog) and I just want to do the best for her that I can. 

That's crazy!! Sorry for your loss. The boys especially can get quite strong and like the husky have a prey drive. Cant believe he killed 2 sheep! I heard another horror story the other day about a lady who had a Samoyed that she rescued and she had to have him put to sleep at 14 months after he bit her sons face. (that was down to inbreeding though) 

Thank you for your response

Ohmygod I'm in love! How gorgeous!

Best way to tell is by feel, google how to body score. Basically, if you can feel their ribs and they go in a bit at the waist but not too ribby they're fine. It works for all dogs. Cos Khaleesi is skinny as anything, she's gaining 1-2kg a week but I think that's all in leg length! But my vets are brilliant and they go on body score not actual weight. X