Vets & Nutrition

Removed #5

I was going looking for something specific and found a lot of anecdotal information about pets, vets and dog food.  This article (extracted, about 3/4 of the way down the page) stopped me cold! If this is what and how they're teaching vets about nutrition, then no wonder they can't answer simple questions!

She also said that raw is dangerous because of food borne pathogens, referencing an E coli. 01:57 outbreak at a Jack In the Box as proof, even though that deals with _humans_ eating _cooked_ meat?!? She then told them that they're just being influenced by fad diets on the Internet with no science behind them, and that she shouldn't just believe everything
they hear or read. When they tried to stand up for themselves, she fell back on the "I'm one of only 50 certified veterinary nutritionists in the country" as if that ended the argument. They were both so furious they could hardly speak when I got there.

Then, for our second hour this afternoon, she taught us the nine steps she uses to evaluate a commercial food if a client wants her opinion. See what you think of these:

1. The bag, box, or can should contain the phrase "complete and balanced".
2. Products that contain this claim must also follow with one of two AAFCO statements, i.e. the product was tested through feeding trials or the calculation method.
3. The label should contain a toll free phone # so you can ask the company questions if necessary.
4. The product should have a digestibility of at least 80% (you may have to call the company to get this figure).
5. If you are feeding a dry product, it should contain a preservative (all of which are completely safe according to her).
6. Reputation of the company.
7. Cost
8. Animals require nutrients not ingredient (this one has about three paragraphs explaining why corn, soy and other ingredients are perfectly suitable for dogs).
9. How is the pet doing while consuming the product?

Continuing on in the same vein, this article has a few comments about Hills interaction with the Veterinary community.  Admitted that both of these are older articles, but not that old.  These vets are still out there working with our pets!

My vet tried to push me onto one of her "approved" foods too. She offered me studies and pamphlets and gave me a very long lecture about high protein diets. At the time Chula was on Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy. When I told her that grain-inclusive foods make Chula sick, she dismissed my concerns completely. She indicated that I was causing irreparable damage to my puppy and that I needed to consider if her having diarrhea was worse than all of the health risks of the food she was on. Of course she also referred to my husky as a "large breed dog". Dummy. I'd prefer to use another term, but it's not allowed here.

Great info Al'

Both articles are well worth the read. :up:

Not too surprised by the findings though.

I think we all may agree on a general rule of thumb.

If the dog or animal needs medical attention, then we go to the Vets

If we as an owner need advice on day to day care and nutrional advice of a specific type or breed of animal

then go to experienced owners of that breed or type of animal.

Interesting reading that backs up my thinking. (that vets earn money supplying and recommending certain brands) My dogs eat what is put in front of them and suffer no ill effect, both are healthy and happy. (we feed them tinned morning dry at night from Aldi) and as I said both are happy and healthy and to be honest that is all I need.