Bad Husky Owner??

HuskyGuerl

Am I suitable for my dogs? My neighbor just informed that I don't deserve to own huskies because its to hot for them to be outside and they have been outside for past 20 minutes laying in sun...First of its 82 degrees Fahrenheit outside and the wind is blowing, second they begged to go outside, third they love to sunbathe and if they start to whine I let them in...am I really that horrible to my dogs to where I don't need them?

Darwin loves to Sunbathe too.

Explain to your neighbour that the thermal properties of the insulating undercoat works both ways.

Keeps them warm in the cold and Cool in the summer.

Darwin loves to Sunbathe too.

Explain to your neighbour that the thermal properties of the insulating undercoat works both ways.

Keeps them warm in the cold and Cool in the summer.

They'd be completely dumbfounded if I tried to explain that to them lol I could make them feel like idiots

Yeah I agree, they should mind their own business!

Nikko especially loves to sunbathe.  He will sit in the mulch when it's 95F outside!  I really don't change routine a whole lot unless the temp is about 85-90F.  Yesterday it was 97F and we still went for our walk at 5pm, we just did a shorter walk and kept to the grass so their paws wouldn't burn

Tell him to get educated about the breed first before making assumptions. The whole reason the husky has a doubled coat is so they can cope with both the cold as well the heat. Siberia, their origin, may be known as the cold part of the world, but not many people know that in the summer the temperature can go up as far as 35°C/95°F which is the huskies also lived with just fine. Of course you shouldn't exercise them in this weather, but as long as they always have water and plenty shade available they will do just fine.

Mines also love sunbathing. They may be huskies but if they have to choose between sleeping on the cool floor in the kitchen or in the warmth of the sun outside, they'd rather choose the latter.

While Sasha likes to go out at night when it's cool ( in the 70's more or less ) it's not unusual to find Avalanche stretched out in the driveway during the day when we're pushing 95 - 100f. 

Time to tell the neighbor that if they don't know what they're talking about - and they don't - then to just zip it up so they don't sound so dumb!

I also questioned my own dog ownership when someone told me I lacked the ability to be a good dog owner since I crated my dogs. Apparently she owned wolfdogs and knew sleddog racers who never kept their dogs in crates or kennels, so she obviously knows more than I do. Problem is Yuki destroys things, even now, if I leave her out for a night out of her crate. I still feel strongly about crating, my boys can be out, my Yuki can't, it depends on the dog. Yuki will eat drywall and other stuff that could require surgery or even kill her if I'm gone 6 hours and she gets ahold of some wires! But she knows everything there is to know in the dog world so better get rid of the crate or rehome my dog. Ugh. Sounds like you just need to tell your neighbors to kindly mind their own business.

I also questioned my own dog ownership when someone told me I lacked the ability to be a good dog owner since I crated my dogs. Apparently she owned wolfdogs and knew sleddog racers who never kept their dogs in crates or kennels, so she obviously knows more than I do. Problem is Yuki destroys things, even now, if I leave her out for a night out of her crate. I still feel strongly about crating, my boys can be out, my Yuki can't, it depends on the dog. Yuki will eat drywall and other stuff that could require surgery or even kill her if I'm gone 6 hours and she gets ahold of some wires! But she knows everything there is to know in the dog world so better get rid of the crate or rehome my dog. Ugh. Sounds like you just need to tell your neighbors to kindly mind their own business.

even if she DOES know something about huskies, she can't go right at you and say you're a bad owner. Unless you're abusing Yuki or locking her in a crate or outside 24 hours a day, I fail to see why crating is considered cruel. It's for her safety. But then each owner has their own style of training, just like parents have their own style of educating children. That neighbor needs to mind her own business. 

As for Searra: the general public always love to make comments. Doesn't mean you have to listen though. It's warm all year long here in Indonesia, but I can tell you that my Indonesian husky is as happy as any other huskies. He's still an energetic, jumpy, cheeky little ball of fur despite the temperature. And he's a wooly, too. Do you want me to send a pic of Dime to that person? Just to show him that my Indonesian husky is still alive and breaking things? :P 

Much as our three love cold (although this winter will be the twin's first), they absolutely relish being out in the sun! Granted, South Yorkshire doesn't exactly get scorching, it can still get pretty hot, and if the dogs want in, they ask.

You're not a bad dog mummy by ANY means, don't worry Searra, people just like to rant about things they have on concept of.

- Caity

Thanks everyone!! Because honestly I thought I spoiled my dogs a lot. Maybe I need to buy them more stuff for the neighbors to rant about lol or walk them more and have them tell me I walk them to much..my hubby finely told them to mind their own when we came back from a trip to town today with them loaded in the car..the neighbors started ranting it was to hot for them to be in there..obviously because we had the AC blaring and back windows down for heads to be out...don't think they will be bothering anymore after my hubby got done yelling across the yard lol

Thanks everyone!! Because honestly I thought I spoiled my dogs a lot. Maybe I need to buy them more stuff for the neighbors to rant about lol or walk them more and have them tell me I walk them to much..my hubby finely told them to mind their own when we came back from a trip to town today with them loaded in the car..the neighbors started ranting it was to hot for them to be in there..obviously because we had the AC blaring and back windows down for heads to be out...don't think they will be bothering anymore after my hubby got done yelling across the yard lol

ha ha good on him!

Its difficult to get Polee go come jnside during the day especially if its warm outside. However the back door is open all day so she can come and go as she pleases. Deifen isnt as keen on the warm weathef so spends the day indoors but he likes to be outside in the evening when its cooler.

As long as your dogs have access to water and shade i dont see a problem with them being outside when its warm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2