How Can Husky Owners Have A Husky When...

Shaiasaur

I work ...a lot (it seems!). 34-38 hours probably a week. Long days though, from 8-1 and 3-6. +30-40min commute, about an hour round trip. Thanks to the long lunch, I was able to make it home to take care of the pup during the day.

My boy however suffers from separation anxiety, so it's been pretty tough. My sort of retired mother in law who lives near work offered to keep him during the day, which has been working great. She's got 4 dogs of her own (that he gets along with) so even if she leaves, Jake's still got plenty of company. He's crated, but has dogs nearby him. He's been doing so well I'm even able to put bedding in his crate again :)

TLDR: Most do better if not completely alone. Whether it's a dog or person with them. The lesson I've learned: I need a house and another husky!

As a side note, I actually quit my old job because they moved buildings making it further from home. I wasn't able to make it home and back for lunch easily. My manager at the time was lenient thankfully and didn't complain when I got back from lunch late everyday lol. The things we do for our pups!

EDIT: For those that use doggy day cares... Having worked at one temporarily over holidays, PLEASE be sure your daycare choice is a good one!! Make sure they require all vaccinations and keep their areas sanitary! They should be ready and willing to show you the play areas at any time. And honestly even though it sounds like a good idea, large groups of dogs together in a small area is not the best thing :\ At the one I worked at, it was good until this.. the dogs can't really play. They just mingle. If playing actually occurs, it can too easily turn into a fight, either with another dog getting jealous or policing, or just getting too rough and touchy. If any dogs were to show signs of doing much more than walking around, we were told to intervene (aka squirt them with water and tell them NO). And honestly, half the dogs there just wanted to sleep anyway.. which we got in trouble for if we let them do -_- okay okay /endrant sorry >.>

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work 8:30-5pm Monday-Friday, and Danny goes for night work so there's always someone in for ours.

But as everyone else has said, they're usually okay with being alone for extended periods, unless they have a behavioural difficulty (things like separation anxiety, Nika's a sufferer :( ) but getting an older dog might be a better idea like Elyse said, having raised 3 puppies (still raising the twins!) I know that it'd be tough if I was alone.

If you're experienced in dogs, try getting two? Surprisingly enough it's easier than one :)

- Caity

And some pretty severe earthquakes if what the news says is right! 

well, not in my island  :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'd like to add that I agree with Elyse. Older dogs are the best! Especially if you're a rather impatient person... like, well.. me. Oh and I also agree with @Danny_Caity these huskies certainly love having playmates. Two's easier they tire each other out :) mini rant: I kinda regret I only adopted Diamond and let another person adopt his brother... He is obviously bored being an only dog :(

May I suggest adopting an older husky (4 years plus)? There are many advantages to this:

- They may not require as much exercise, they are getting old and 'creaky'. This is a bonus if you can't commit to a regular walking schedule, or if you can't commit to the possible 2+ hours of walks/jogs a day your husky may need.

- They do not need to go to the bathroom as much as a puppy. 

- They may be crate trained already - so you don't have to go through all that trouble. 

- You skip the whole puppy potty training stage - which I understand is a nightmare if you are working full time.

- You skip the whole rebellion/teenage stage they go through.

- Their personality has already been developed, so you can choose a dog to see if their personality matches you. (Example: I chose Suka because he is a lazy dog. I'm a lazy person. We still enjoy exercise, but we won't go crazy without it...we are a perfect match!)

- You are giving another dog a chance at life. Many dogs end up in shelters because of their owners - many shelter dogs I've seen and interacted with are very good dogs.

You know what, you definitely changed my mind, A LOT.

I was actually going to go for a puppy since, you know, they're more cute, I get to watch them grow (and they will attach to me since I'm their "mama") and etc for puppy stuff.

But rescuing a dog is a plus itself, and I think it's awesome how you don't have to go through the difficulties of owning a puppy.

I think I would much rather do this, BUT, I'm always afraid because whenever you get any older animal, you don't really know what they're capable of, how they like to be petted, what you should do if they're mad, etc etc. 

I was actually going to go for a puppy since, you know, they're more cute, I get to watch them grow (and they will attach to me since I'm their "mama") and etc for puppy stuff.

But rescuing a dog is a plus itself, and I think it's awesome how you don't have to go through the difficulties of owning a puppy.

I think I would much rather do this, BUT, I'm always afraid because whenever you get any older animal, you don't really know what they're capable of, how they like to be petted, what you should do if they're mad, etc etc. 

and that is why it's important to ask as many questions as you can to the shelter staff. But I'd say getting to know an older dog isn't that difficult or different from getting to know a pup. You just learn from your experience :) and most dogs like to be petted at the same spot: the chest between front legs :P

Elai could come with me to school since I was doing an education in animalcare and now I'm working at a doggydaycare so he can come with me to work too. Ideal really. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to have him :)

Before I adopted Suka, I was put in a little room with him for an hour or so to interact and figure out if he's the right dog for me. This is important: because in the cage they act differently than they would out of the cage. Example: Suka was jumpy and somewhat growly in the cage, which is not his true self. He's very laid back, loves to be petted, and is very quiet. 

I asked the shelter staff a lot of questions and they answered everything. (How's his temperament? Was he abused in any way? Is there anything I should be aware of? etc). Depending on the shelter, they might have little tags on the cage that tell you their name, age, if they have any behaviour problems, if they are crate trained, etc.

When I signed the papers, I got his health records and any other information I didn't have before. The first couple of days at home were iffy - I wasn't sure what to expect because he was my first dog - so I took things slow. It helps to read up on dog body language, so you know when to back off if they give a certain posture, etc. Mine settled in within a week or two.

The first couple of months I had him, I went to a dog obedience class. There was nothing wrong with him, I just needed to know more about him and learn how to control him (he's a very strong willed dog). 

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. And thank you for considering to adopt! :)

I would be careful before adopting an adult husky just because you have a cat, make sure you triple check that the husky is cat friendly because a lot of the ones that you'll see in rescues either aren't cat friendly, or the rescue won't adopt to you because they don't want to be liable if the husky kills your cat.

anywaaaay! i have 3 huskies and work 40 hours a week at one job, go to school full time(around 15-20 hours a week) and work a part time job(from home) about 5-10 hours a week. It definitely takes a lot of my time with the dogs away, but it's necessary. Luckily my boyfriend only works Friday-Sunday and he works those days when I'm home, so even though I'm always working or at school, my dogs are never left home more then 8 hours a week, which is awesome. When we only had one husky, he was left home alone for 8-9 hours a day and he was fine as long as he got his exercise before we left.

I go to school full time and I work part time. My husband works a full time job and a part time job. Balto is crated when we are gone, but as soon as we get home and it cools down we take him for a nice long walk, but while in the house he has loads of toys to play with, we do some training, he likes to play fetch with himself (well you have to throw it first but then he just wants to play with himself), etc. Then usually by bed time he is ready for bed. We make it so I leave here at like 9 in the morning and get home around 5. I am up around 6:30-7 so he is out for 2-21/2 hours and then as soon as I get home until bed time which is about 10-11 so another 5-6 hours. Balto does really well with it and on the weekends he is out all day except bed time and we take him out to do things and play with other dogs so by Monday and Tuesday he is so worn out he doesn't care one way or another if he has to be in his box all day. I think that they adjust over time.

I have health problems, including chronic fatigue, and had managed to build my fitness up to a really good level then I got an inner ear infection which caused severe vertigo. 6 weeks out of action pretty much and the chronic fatigue reared its ugly head. Unfortunately, what is wrong with me is only treated with diet :( and exercise :( :(

So I put my foot down and said we needed to get the dog asap to help me with my health (haha)

I was working too hard and doing silly days and because I am mobile I was booking back to back appointments and not eating either.

Now I walk Khaleesi first thing (horrible some mornings as its wedding season meaning early starts!) then crate her with her breakfast and her antler (which is an amazing buy) normally leaving around 9ish, I'm normally back for 12-1ish and we have another little walk then I will go out for another few hours and then come home again. My boyfriend gets home about 6ish so I might go and do a bit more work and he'll normally walk her again. We also have two lodgers who will let her out and have a play with her, but we don't really let anyone walk her besides us. Saying that some days its just me and her all day :)

I start uni in September and I will send her to my dog trainer one day a week, but only because we're soft and feel sad for her being on her own all day. Oh and all the walking and constant ball throwing has improved my health problems no end...and she's such a cheeky monkey, I spend half the day laughing at her x