Biting And Jumping

kaseyandandi

So after Andi got comfortable enough with me and my boyfriend to finally start acting like herself, she started getting into this habit of biting.  And in the past few days it has turned into jumping and snapping at my face.  I think she's just being playful but I really need to stop this behavior before it gets any worse.

I've tried redirecting her to toys and that will work for all of 30 seconds... 

I've tried putting her in time out but it doesn't seem to faze her very much at all..

It's only me she will act this way with so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I've tried to show that I am the "pack leader" as much as I can (always the first one out the door, making her sit for food, etc.) but she still misbehaves and it only gets worse when Matt leaves for work.  She's also gotten into this habit of barking and howling whenever I tell her "no" or "down."   Not really sure what else to try.  I know she's still just a puppy and it's going to get worse  :o but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can and that I'm not missing anything.

Hey there Kassandra welcome to H-O :) first off, how old is andi? Because it sounds like she's entering teething stage. It's very normal for dogs that haven't learned bite inhibition to nip a bit.. so all you gotta do is keep up with the good work and be patient :) here's a link about bite inhibition training:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/biting-puppy-how-train-puppy-bites

As for the barking/howling, it sounds like she's just vocal  :lol: that's part of her personality IMO so looks like you have a talker there :P I think it's funny when Dime "talks back" when I call him to do something (example: Diamond, come! Put your collar on! dime: nuuuuuu *grumble* *grumble*)  :P it sounds like we're having a conversation LOL

I have the same problem with my Thor, he's jst turned 7 months old and trying to do everything to instate himself as pack leader (frustrating!!!!) I feel like i have a constant battle on my hands. The only thing that i have found works, although I'm not too sure if i should be doing this, is to stand up and tower over him.he will bark a little bit then sulk off into a different room. but this has to be repeated constantly thoughout the day.

I follow advice I got from another person on this board (thanks Al!) and when my puppy is being nippy, she goes on a short leash, even if she is in the house. If she starts to jump/nip, then I hold the leash short with my foot until she goes into a "down" position and calms herself down, then I release the leash. I will do this 10 times in a row if I have to until she realizes that she loses her freedom by jumping and mouthing. You have to be really consistent with this though, choose one method and keep at it. My pup is 9 months now and she is still mouthy, but she is not nearly as bad as she used to be. 

We had an issue about two months ago with her going nuts on walks and jumping/mouthing/nipping out of frustration because she didn't want to be on the leash. It was really hard for me to control her outside enough to put my foot on the leash, so I used Grannick's Bitter Apple. Every time she jumped up at me and tried to mouth, she got a spray of bitter apple. If she bit at the leash, I sprayed it with the bitter apple. It only took about three days of walking like this for her to stop her jumping/nipping.

So those are two options. I find the apple spray method doesn't work very well in the house because she was jumping and nipping and running away.

Other people will probably suggest ignoring it until she realizes that it isn't going to get a reaction from you. That only works as long as it isn't physically hurting you or damaging you. I couldn't ignore it, she was too big and it hurt too much. So we went a different route.

I agree with Chula or you can use time out but be consistent!!!! Key is to be consistent!!!! Stick with one thing for a month to two months if no improvement then switch to something else. Do not do as a previous poster mentioned and tower over them this can really backfire later during teenage rebellion and lead to someone getting hurt. I say try time out or the leash as mentioned above.

Maybe you should try pinning her down on the floor gently, it seems a bit cruel to a pup but they need to understand that what they are doing is NOT accepted you know? When Elai had his aching teeth/biting fase i held his snout into my hand and told him A really ferm NO and than i walked away. I also gave him a lot of buffalo hide chew bones to get his frustration out lol really seemed to work :) Well, good luck with your little terrorist lol

Well i don't mean forcefully pinning him/her down, just putting him/her on its side. It worked for me, and i never had/have any trouble. It's just a way for me to calm him down. And not just my dog, also the dogs at work.. But not every method works for anyone or any dog ofcourse :)

Thank you guys so much.  I started the short leash training yesterday and it is already ten times better.  She still wants to jump but she's not biting nearly as often or as hard.  She's about three months old so it might be a little soon for teething I think...I guess that's just something else to look forward to  :lol:

Glad to hear it is helping, it definitely helped me. You do need to be sure to teach her bite inhibition too though. If she does get in a nip, make sure to let her know it hurts. It's best if they don't put their teeth on you at all, but it's also really important to teach her not too bite "too hard", because she is a puppy and she will get over excited and make mistakes. :) Keep at it! Huskies are willful and can be a challenge to train!