New Young Husky With Older Husky

mashedz

Our son just brought his 14 month old female husky from Germany. Our 7 year old female husky is none too happy. A lot of snapping, growling and lunging going on. Do we just let nature take its course or do we intervene. Any suggestions are welcome.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope they work it out soon. This is why i'm nervous about getting a second Husky don't want my Elka injured. Although i am considering adopting one of  her brothers who the breeders have been left with. Is it true a second Husky should be the oposte sex anyone? Meeting some rescues also on Sunday so you never know one of those may be the one. Good luck with your two :)

When do you consider it too much or going too far?

You asked the question I was going to answer, so that was good timing.  The simple answer is when you see blood.  But ... there's going to be a little, probably, where someone got a bit too close with a correction.  On their own, assuming they don't reach the point of outright fighting, they'll resolve who's boss within a week - normally a day or two time, yeh, it's gonna sound like they're eating each other up.  A small tear on an ear, or a small puncture on the leg shouldn't be any big deal, they know how close they can get for a correction but sometimes they miss. 

It will probably be obvious if it ever does get to the dog-eat-dog fight - in the first place, you'll have a hard time separating them; If they do go for a real serious fight, grab hind legs on both dogs and separate them that way - you stand a better chance of not getting bit.  It should be common sense, but do not reach into a dog fight to grab a collar - you will almost assuredly get bit by one of them.

With your comment that one of them always end up submitting, it sounds to me like they're getting things worked out.  If you interfere with that and try to make the older dog the superior one ( and she's probably doing a good job of that on her own ) and the pup is really the dominant one, you're going to have fights and spats until you realize that it's got to be them who decides who's boss.

At 14 months her puppy license has expired and she's going to expect the little one to behave; if she doesn't then the elder will put her in her place - probably.  Now I'm curious, which one is submitting?  I've got my money on the puppy bowing down to the elder dog.

<< and argh, you've got two unnamed females - you sure make it rough to work with the pronouns! >>

Thanks that was helpful. It is the older one that is submitting at the end. My older husky is also doing something I've never seen before. At times when she starts to show teeth she hisses. This whole thing is hard to watch. I feel bad for our older dog but my son will be here for several months so it has to work.

Right now for the next couple of days we are at home, but soon we will all be at work and they will be outside by themselves. Unfortunately in Germany their young husky was inside most the time because they lived on base and his wife was home with her all the time so she isn't use to spending long periods of time outside or with just another dog. Again, we have to make it work and our doing our best but I can honestly say that I'm really nervous.

Great answer Al!  I would not allow the dogs to be left alone unattended.  Is there a way to bring them inside or crate one or both of them?  

I had a similar situation. I had 2 huskies that always played well together and recently adopted a 3 year old rescue.  The first few weeks were rough, and there were several fights.  I always stepped in when it looked like it was getting serious.  Honestly, I probably stepped in too soon, but I was very concerned because Nikko would be afraid to come downstairs as long as Kodiak was in the room.  Eventually they sorted it out, but Nikko and Kodiak still don't play together.  It's been 5 months and I only leave them alone for a few minutes at most.  

Unfortunately no I can't bring once in or crate one. There just isn't a perfect solution here. We have to be gone all day and they have to be outside together. I just hope I don't come home at lunch or after work and find someone hurt.

We still have till Tuesday so hopefully things will improve by then.

Unfortunately no I can't bring once in or crate one. There just isn't a perfect solution here. We have to be gone all day and they have to be outside together. I just hope I don't come home at lunch or after work and find someone hurt.

We still have till Tuesday so hopefully things will improve by then.

Something could go wrong while you're gone and one could be seriously injured. Dogs can take months to sort out their differences, it's not something that can be resolved within a week. I really do not feel like things will improve in four days. Is there no way you can at least buy one crate and crate one inside, and have the other outside? It's much safer for the dogs. Also, are either spayed? That could also factor into the fighting. Honestly your best option is to crate one or both while you're gone if you want to avoid any injuries. 

It is possible for them to hit it off within a week. Like stated, let them have their little tiffs, but if it gets too serious then step in.

My parents adopted a 2.5yr old male about a month ago and brought him into their house with their 1yr old. Both males, both neutered...and they hit it off right away. No fights or anything.

So stay positive...it can happen.

The younger one is use to being crated when my son and daughter in law would go outfor about 4 hours. How long is it okay to crate a dog? I know she was crated on the plane from Germany to the US without soiling her crate. I've never crated before so this is new territory for me.

I don't crate so someone who does would probably be able to give a more definitive answer - but two 4 hours shifts in the crate might be tolerable.  If someone could get there at lunch time so she has a chance to go out and stretch her legs would probably make it better (another family member, trusted neighbor, ???)

I've seen where others have theirs crated for the day apparently without undo effect - just me but I'd like to give them some time out during an 8 hour stretch.

I always come home for lunch so that is a thought. I would really like for them to learn to be outside together...that is a major goal. It would be good for the younger one to learn to not be with people all the time. Just not sure how to proceed with that.

My first was Bella - 8 weeks at that time
Second was Hunter - 7 months at that time

Third was Loki - 4 years

Fourth Keyna - 2 years

In the beginning, Hunter loved Bella as she was still a smaller puppy (both were puppies - hunter was just a bigger puppy) but later - Hunter wanted to be dominant and Bella kept surrendering...
I separated them - one on the deck and the other in the backyard and keep switching them (only when left unattended - make a door on the deck - if you have a deck - or some separation) I did complete chain link fencing in my backyard.

This is when I also discovered Hunter had extreme food aggression - even towards the one who feeds - now they both chew off through the same meat without a problem

They were allowed to be together supervised and play and it went on for three days till they were happy to be together and not getting at each other.

Then I slowly left them to sleep together on the deck while in observation - for another few days and then I don't remember when I stopped worrying about it...

When I got Loki, He had been attacked by pits before (old owner told) and was hostile towards dogs - specially males (it also comes with being a malamute)... so took a different route- we met outside in a park with all three and went for a run without letting the dogs meet. Once tired, we introduced each other one by one VERY strictly to ensure no first aggression goes uncorrected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3jNqDjkUA

Hunter and Loki will still be okay as long as Loki stays away from Bella. Hunter and Loki once got into a fight over Bella and Hunter (an year old) locked onto Loki's (4 yr old) head and I was shocked... Good part - there was no blood.

Keyna was the toughest one... She just doesn't like any other female dog - specially if beautiful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PWRSA9pkOc

In the video you will see how she used to snap at Bella and how I had to correct it from the beginning for it not to escalate (you may not notice but I was very strong in my hold with Keyna while maintaining my tone and temper). I had to let her know that she had to wait for her turn from the beginning. 

She was good with Loki and Hunter but Bella was always left out from the play and when wanted to join, Keyna would push her off...

For her, I used a muzzle (the one that lets the dog open the mouth and breath) and left Keyna with Hunter and Bella - first few hours supervised - until they slept - then took the muzzle off - since then, Bella and Keyna haven't had any encounters...

I did not let the dogs figure out who is the boss but told them strictly that none of them are... they all have to get along with each other - like it or not.

Summary:

- With the two pups, I let them figure it out themselves by separating them in the beginning - still establishing rules.
- With the 4 year old one, I have to be very cautious from letting the pups annoy them or try to win over them.

Hope that helps :)

One quick suggestion - take them out running together and build a team - that even helps a lot with males ignoring each other when they used to run at each other at site... females also do very well bonding when they know they work together... (does not apply to humans)

Dogs that age should have no problem in a crate for up to 8-9 hours at a time.  Mine are crated every day while I am at work, but I do go home at lunch time to let them out for about an hour.  So mine are crated for up to 4 - 5 hours at a time, but there have been a couple times where they had to be crated for up to 8 hours.

If the younger one is already crate trained, I would highly recommend getting a crate, at least for now.  I am a strong advocate of using a crate, but it does depend on the individual dog.  I know one of my dogs would tear the place up if I left him out, but it depends on the individual dog.

I know I have lots of questions. Is it okay to crate everyday while I am at work?

I crate as well and mine is sometimes left for 8 hours. She is fine. Its better when she gets a lunch break but nothing happens when she's in there for 8. She's just ready to potty then play. She gets treats and her antler in her crate.