New Young Husky With Older Husky

mashedz

We crate our husky and he has been left once for 13 hours and that was because I had to go to labor and delivery unexpectedly to get something checked out with the baby. Balto loves his crate and he also gets doggy peanut butter in a kong or some other special treat everytime he goes in his box for long periods of time so he views it as a positive place. He loves his crate so much that he goes in there when he is tired and ready for bed. Without having him crated my cat would probably be dead and my house would be destroyed as he thinks anything and everything should go in his mouth. I agree that crating is the best and she will adjust with time.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left the two of them in the backyard for about two hours while we went to church this morning to experiment and see how they would do. They are both good, no bite marks and are now very sleepy. The younger one was a little more anxious tonsee us when we got back since she isn't use to being without a human but all in all she did good. We think this is a good first step. What do you all think?

Left the two of them in the backyard for about two hours while we went to church this morning to experiment and see how they would do. They are both good, no bite marks and are now very sleepy. The younger one was a little more anxious tonsee us when we got back since she isn't use to being without a human but all in all she did good. We think this is a good first step. What do you all think?

That sounds like an excellent turn of events; maybe they just needed the time by themselves to sort things out without having nervous humans around.  If they're sleepy, it sounds like they may have gotten some good exercise.

Michelle, if you would - this is me playing curmudgeon again - would you mind giving us names for these animals, it gets a little wearisome writing "the older one" and "the younger one" when names (unless you're Welsh with its fondness for long names) would make it so much easier.

Curiosity, how are they handling the Bakersfield ( California? ) heat??

The "older one" is Sasha and the "younger one" is Sky. They handle the Bakersfield heat just fine as long as you have plenty of water and shade. We've had several huskies in Bakersfield. When we are home they are inside with the air conditioning. Their coat not only insulates them from the cold, but keeps them cool from the heat. They even like to go out and take a sun nap and heat up. Go figure.

The "older one" is Sasha and the "younger one" is Sky. They handle the Bakersfield heat just fine as long as you have plenty of water and shade. We've had several huskies in Bakersfield. When we are home they are inside with the air conditioning. Their coat not only insulates them from the cold, but keeps them cool from the heat. They even like to go out and take a sun nap and heat up. Go figure.

Thanks for filling me in there, my older one is an Alaskan called Avalanche and the younger - probably - is a Sibe called Sasha (well, fancy that!?)   Yeh, I live on the desert southwest over in Texas which was why I was wondering - but I have no air, I'm a desert rat. Avalanche is the one who goes out and lays on the sand that's too hot to walk on!  Funny animals we've got, no?? :)