"quotes" And Other Sayings

Mazz

What are some of your favorite quotes or sayings?  Here are a few of mine:

1.  Far better to refrain from speaking and let others think you stupid, than to speak and remove all doubt. - I think the author Mark Twain said words to this affect.

2.  Don't get on the band wagon if you can't toot a horn.

3.  Some people are not evolutionarily blessed to the point where there rectum and their cranium have become detached.

4.  Arguing with a building inspector is much like mud wrestling with a pig.  Not long and the pig starts to enjoy it.

5.  People are a lot like dogs, only not as forgiving.

A few from when I was a child

If I left the doors open in the house, moreso in winter, I was asked if I was born in a field

If while playing I was a little over zealous (climbing, skating too fast etc), I would be reminded Don't come running to me when you break your leg

:P:lol:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Anger is like grasping a hot coal with intent of throwing it at someone... Your the one getting burned.

I like that one.

ooh another one:

Love is like a sand. The harder you grasp it the more you lose it. 

This quote is actually slit under the glass on top of my school's administration office desk. Most Asian parents are overprotective and doesn't hesitate to pressure their children, so that quote really fits :)

A few from when I was a childIf I left the doors open in the house, moreso in winter, I was asked if I was born in a fieldIf while playing I was a little over zealous (climbing, skating too fast etc), I would be reminded Don't come running to me when you break your leg :P:lol:Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Mine are similar to these

"were you born in a barn?". (to which I was tempted to say if it was good enough for the son of god......but didn't dare! Lol)

"don't come crying to me when you hurt yourself",

"look where you're going, not where you've been",

"look with your eyes not with your hands",

"you've got eyes bigger than your tummy",

"because I said so!!!"

"close your mouth, you're catching flies",

"if your friend jumped off a cliff would you do the same?". Heard that a lot as a teen, lol.

" money doesn't grow on trees!". Heard that even more than the last, lol.

And some more....

"she's as mad as a march hare"

"blow that for a game of soldiers", means rather them than me, apparently,

"off to spend a penny",

"she's a few sandwiches short of a picnic", love that one,use it frequently!

"when god was giving out brains, u thought he said trains and asked for a slow one", not sure where that came from but I think it to myself quite often, lol.

Edited by emma1979

can't help myself.. some rather-funny-to-write-in-another-language Indonesian and Javanese sayings that I hear a lot

"Brain on your knees!" <-> "Idiot!"

"He has the brain of a shrimp" <-> "He's stupid"

"You're slapping with a borrowed hand" <-> You're doing something wrong and refuse to admit it 

"She's light-handed" <-> She likes to hit people or she likes to help others. I know, it's contradictory yet "light-handed" actually means both!

"Rubber hour" <-> refers to Western Javanese culture of not being on time

"The traffic in that highway is tight and creeping" <-> means the traffic is moving slower than normal, but not stopping so can't call it a traffic jam

"Do you think I have a money tree?" <-> obvious. Looks like this one is international.

"Raining gold in others' land, raining stones in one's own land" <-> the grass is always greener on the other side