Broken Dew Claw

Val (Zebedee)

I noticed about 10 minutes ago, Kaviq has broken his front right dew claw - not surprising the way he's been goofing around with Myshka. It has not totally snapped off though, it is hanging on by a thread. He keeps licking it as it is bleeding a tiny bit but otherwise it's not bothering him. He is reluctant to let us look at it.

Should we leave him and hope he chews it off, try and snip it off or try and strap it up and hope he keeps the bandage on?

Hmmmm. When Nikko ripped his off he ended up chewing it off before we got to the vets. But if it were me I might take him in to the vet so they can remove it and bandage it up so it doesn't get infected but I'm a worry wart lol

Zoya ripped her's a few years ago. We put some antibacterial gel on it and wrapped it for a day. Took the wrap off the next day. She chewed it off and a few weeks later a new nail grew back. They are sensitive. So what ever you do be gentle.

I have a general question regarding dew claws if I may?

I know many people have dew claws removed with certain breeds soon after birth. What is the norm with Huskies, remove or leave?

I saw a post somewhere that showed a dog using its dew claws to help it get out when it crashed through frozen ice on a lake and others using the claws to hold bones when chewing.

I have a general question regarding dew claws if I may?

I know many people have dew claws removed with certain breeds soon after birth. What is the norm with Huskies, remove or leave?

I saw a post somewhere that showed a dog using its dew claws to help it get out when it crashed through frozen ice on a lake and others using the claws to hold bones when chewing.

I read in huskies for dummies to have their dew claws removed can't remember the reason why now though (will have a look later). But I haven't had my doggies removed. Both use them to hold onto the treats bones etc. I have seen some have to have them removed because they kept growing and get caught in things. But I personally leave them unless they cause a problem.

I read in huskies for dummies to have their dew claws removed can't remember the reason why now though (will have a look later). But I haven't had my doggies removed. Both use them to hold onto the treats bones etc. I have seen some have to have them removed because they kept growing and get caught in things. But I personally leave them unless they cause a problem.I think that mainly applies if they have rear dew claws I've never known a reason for a dog to have front ones removed

well, we had the vet take a look & he said to leave well alone. Today, Kav was back at the vets for a booster & the vet checked it, it appears to have reattached itself although it still seems tender if you go to pick the paw up, so we're keeping an eye on it.

He said we will probably notice a crack line as the claw grows out but for now, we'll let Mother Nature take care of it.

I too believe that it is the rear dew claws that are removed, although Diesel has 1 - not sure what happened to the other one as he was 6 when we rescued him, but he does chew the back one off from time to time then it grows back, but all mine have all their front dew claws intact