Been Offered Elka's Brother?

*jax*

There were six puppies in Elka's litter but only four got sold. The breeders have been left with two males now nine months old. They are desperate to find home for the boys currently having seven dogs with the boys.

They have offered me one of the boys for free. I am considering it as have been thinking about a second Husky. However i had been thinking about another female rather than a male. The boys are big and going to be large powerful Huskies like their dad. Its the walking i would worry about as i don't have time to walk them separately. I love walking Elka we are out for about two hours a day along the local beach. I worry that walking would become a chore with a large male and i would have to use harnesses to keep him under control.

I know Elka would love a playmate but not sure if one of her male siblings would be the right choice?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk my two together, on my own. I am tall but there isn't much to me weight wise. I hhave my moments with them, but mostly they are fine.

do you know how the other dog is on the lead? My two boys are different. Parker pulls Kaiden doesn't. I also find that if I have them walking side by side with Parker on the inside they don't pull as much .

He does pull apparently. Elka has stopped pulling now ans walks happily by my side on the lead. I have friends with a Husky that i take Elka walking with. Keri can't walk her male Husky on her own and her husband has to have him on the lead all the time. 

He does pull apparently. Elka has stopped pulling now ans walks happily by my side on the lead. I have friends with a Husky that i take Elka walking with. Keri can't walk her male Husky on her own and her husband has to have him on the lead all the time. 

Would it be worth you walking him, seeing what he is like, and taking Elka with you to see if they walk together better than alone??

I think i might pop over to see them and walk them. Then take Elka over to see how they get on together and take them for a walk if they are ok. Need to think about it all carefully and not act impulsively to help them out. Need to look at the cost of keeping a second as well.

I'm sure that boy won't take too long to learn loose leash walking :) especially with the vast selection of leads, harnesses and collars that can help reduce pulling available almost everywhere you look nowadays. But since every dog is unique I think it's wise to take Elka and see how they two get along. I know they're litter mates but chances are thin that they would remember each other. Good luck and keep us posted xxx :)

This is the brother I'm interested in adopting. His name is Demon which i would probably change. He is the less dominant of the brothers who have been fighting a bit recently. Demon shows submissive behavior to his brother and rolls on the ground. He isn't neutered yet so this would be another expense to consider if i took him on.

485504_10200539914800243_1171210891_n.jp

1173609_10200469791167196_1500056567_n.j

um taking on an unneutered male with an unneutered female is not a great idea. when she goes into heat you will have to keep them seperate for a max of 4 weeks! that includes walking! and he will probably howl and try to get to her

um taking on an unneutered male with an unneutered female is not a great idea. when she goes into heat you will have to keep them seperate for a max of 4 weeks! that includes walking! and he will probably howl and try to get to her

not necessarily true , I had no problems with blaze n skyla they still walked together n everything we just supervised them more ,, not saying they won't have 2 but it's not always the case depending on the dogs

Elka was neutered at 6 months :)

I would ask for a trial and error or have Elka come over and spend a lot of time with Demon to see how well they get along. They may not remember each other as little mates, we had that problem this past weekend at the humane society. Two siblings were brought in together and they got along great and then one was adopted while the other stayed there for about 5-6 weeks apart and then the ones who adopted the sibling wanted to come back and adopt the other, they had no clue who the other was and attacked each other to the point of blood so they could not adopt them together. As long as you have Elka spayed that works fine until you can get him neutered. We raised hunting dogs when I was little and when the girls would go into heat and we didn't want them to mate we just supervised them closely and we never had a problem with them. I think it just depends on the dog but you said she was fixed so not much to worry about. Is it possible when you go visit to bring some toys with or treats, etc. and see how he does when Elka goes near them? That is something I would want to know just so I could prepare better.

Just checking up on costs and the insurance will be £1 more i presume because he is un-neutred so that would be £27 a month for them both. I can pay for vaccinations for life with my vets which is just one payment of £99 for each. They do a 'bug pack' which you pay monthly for flea and worming treatments which works out at 25% off for the year. I use advocate for Elka which is pricey but very effective and no worry of getting tablets down them. Just the food to work out and how much the neutering will cost for him. I paid £200 for Elka to be done but she is female and so obviously more invasive. Will get him done asap to help with dominance issues and i thin its better done when they are relatively young for better recovery.

Just checking up on costs and the insurance will be £1 more i presume because he is un-neutred so that would be £27 a month for them both. I can pay for vaccinations for life with my vets which is just one payment of £99 for each. They do a 'bug pack' which you pay monthly for flea and worming treatments which works out at 25% off for the year. I use advocate for Elka which is pricey but very effective and no worry of getting tablets down them. Just the food to work out and how much the neutering will cost for him. I paid £200 for Elka to be done but she is female and so obviously more invasive. Will get him done asap to help with dominance issues and i thin its better done when they are relatively young for better recovery.

I have the same for my 2 with the vacs for life. It's really good. I didn't realise it was that much for a bitch to be done. When I had my mutely done it was about £70. But that was about 7 years ago

The standard fee is £180 then i got a % off for having attended for the puppy check. I paid an extra £50 for her to have a water drip during the procedure, the vet said it would stop her getting dehydrated. It probably wasn't needed and was an optional extra but i was so worried about her i would have bought anything to make it better for her!  I know 'sucker'!

oooooh does this mean you're considering adoption? :D I always get excited over posts like this one... It's past my bedtime over here and I'm still keeping an eye on this thread like a hawk :P

You not a sucker we worry about are furbabies at the best off time let alone when they have to have an op. iv got 2 huskys and a staffy I walk them all on my own. I use a belt with the 3 off them but I do find it easier to walk all 3 than just one . They only thing I find difficult is when they go on a long lead at the beach and in the fields is that they tend to get tangled alot. So I spend most my time trying to untangle leads lol. But I'm hoping with time they will kinda sort that out Maybe

We have three and generally no problem walking them all at once on my own (although two is much easier). It sounds like currently the best move is to go, meet and see him in real live with Elka and walk them together if that's possible.

Ruth never was quite sure to get a third dog (Wodak) or not. Even when we were bringing him home she was still not 100% sure, thinking about all the things that could go wrong. It was after we saw him interact with our two other dogs that we realised all the pondering and thinking wasn't needed as he fitted in right away. Now, 9 months later, it's the best decision we ever took :)

I'd honestly say go for it! I am not very strong, and I'm little, but I walk all three of mine. I just use those WYDWL no-pull harnesses which help a bunch. And neutering should not be as expensive since hes a male as it was to spay Elka, plus my boys bounced back much faster than Yuki did.