Hi New Puppy And A Few Very Important Question. He Is Shy

Brockton94

Hi this is my first time at this site. I just got my first Siberian husky two days ago and he is named Meeko. Meeko is nine weeks old and very shy. I know he is nervous because this is his first time being separated from his mother and siblings. He eats and drinks and he only eliminates outside but he seems super uneasy. He sleeps inside, I don't have his crate yet but I have a den set up for him. He doesn't walk around or explore if your in the same room. He has toys he chews on but that's it. I have to carry him to take him outside, and only there will he walk around but only a little bit. And sometimes I have to carry him back in but now usually he will walk back inside. He just stays in his little corner den whenever I'm in the same room. He doesn't like to eat in front of me. He'll eat when i go upstairs or only if I wait a long time. I'm going today to get his crate and a kong toy and stuff. I just want to know if this is normal behavior and if I'm handling it right.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give him a week or two to get adjusted to the new area. It took Storm almost three weeks to get adjusted.  Once they adjust the shyness goes away and they will be just fine!  If you're crate training, make sure to keep fun things in there so they think it's fun.  We can be anywhere in the house if i say "go to your house" to /my two they sprint for their crates lol.  But, you're doing fine. just give him a little space and love, keep the potty training going and he'll come around.

I agree, imagine you're being put in a different home all of a sudden, it's new and kind of scary on your own :) Elai was even afraid of the street and wouldn't dare to walk on it. But with a lot of patience and lots of love he'll come out of his shell before you know it. Good luck!

I agree, give him time. When we first brought Chula home she wouldn't even go to the bathroom, she just wanted to lay on her blanket. We thought we hit the lottery and had the calmest, most well behaved husky ever! A few days later she was bouncing off the walls. :) 

Agree with everyone else , time is your friend , let him come to you in his own time , it will happen its just he's been taken away from everything he knows n with someone he doesn't know, when we got blaze he hid under our table a lot so we left him alone till he wanted to come out

First off, welcome to the forum!  What part of Indiana are you from?  I am from Northwest IN (Lake Co).  

Second, we love pics so whenever you get a chance post some up so we can see the little furball :)

And I agree with the others, your pup was taken from the only home he ever knew, so it may take a few weeks to adjust.  It's all normal!

Hey guys thanks! Tonight he played a really lazy game of tug a wore. And I finally introduced him to buster the begal my other dog who had been kept up stairs. Their first encounter didn't go smooth because buster is a very loud wary kind of dog, so when he was accidentally let out side at the same time as I had Meeko buster came at Meeko loud and in the role of protector of the yard, Meeko did like comical side jump with mouth open scared kind of thing. Also buster is a harmless dog he is just loud and dopey, anyway we introduced them slowly upstairs today, buster started shaking and he got up and sniffed him, and Meeko who I thought might freak or slink away just stood there then licked buster in the mouth. Buster is still kind of scared around Meeko but Meeko finally has the ability to roam the full house

First off, welcome to the forum! What part of Indiana are you from? I am from Northwest IN (Lake Co).

Second, we love pics so whenever you get a chance post some up so we can see the little furball :)

And I agree with the others, your pup was taken from the only home he ever knew, so it may take a few weeks to adjust. It's all normal!

. I'm not for sure how to upload photos I'm on my ipod if you could tell me how I'd be thankful lol. And I live in Portland Indiana it's close to Muncie if you know where that is lol

And he is already starting to play so I think he'll be fine

welcome to the forum :D

seems like you have some progress. I didn't have this problem because I got two at the same time. they were running around like idiots before we got them home :)

but I agree with everyone, give him time and you'll soon be wishing he was quiet again :D

heya :) welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that Meeko is coming out of his shell. But I think letting two dogs, especially two of the same sex, meet head-on like that is why the first meeting didn't go smoothly. IMO Buster should be kept on-lead at first, or if that's not an option then Meeko has to stay in a closed crate while Buster gets a sniff. I'm sure Buster means no harm, but since he's a lot larger he's scary from the puppy's eyes and unfortunately might make Meeko skittish around dogs that are either too loud or moves too fast. Anyways enjoy your stay :D

. I'm not for sure how to upload photos I'm on my ipod if you could tell me how I'd be thankful lol. And I live in Portland Indiana it's close to Muncie if you know where that is lol

And he is already starting to play so I think he'll be fine

Are you using the mobile site or an app to access the forum? You should be able to have options at the bottom to upload a picture or take a new pic to upload

heya :) welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that Meeko is coming out of his shell. But I think letting two dogs, especially two of the same sex, meet head-on like that is why the first meeting didn't go smoothly. IMO Buster should be kept on-lead at first, or if that's not an option then Meeko has to stay in a closed crate while Buster gets a sniff. I'm sure Buster means no harm, but since he's a lot larger he's scary from the puppy's eyes and unfortunately might make Meeko skittish around dogs that are either too loud or moves too fast. Anyways enjoy your stay :D

we held both Meeko and buster while they first sniffed each other and actually Meeko is already bigger than buster even though meekos ten weeks old. Everything worked out though. Meeko isn't scared of buster at all. (Edit) buster is no longer afraid of Meeko and they are getting along super well

Welcome! He'll settle in soon, we introduced Nika to everything within the first full day of her being with us, let her outside on a lead, took her round to see our friend's children (supervised of course!) and she settled in well after that. Being outside was her main issue, she's a prim and proper lady that won't get her paws wet :rofl:

He is gorgeous by the way :) They grow fast, make the most of the puppiness!

- Caity