Has My Husky Got Fleas

ZachAttack

If he does have fleas, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding some hanging around Zach's tail and paws :S so give him something to chew or wait until he's sleepy and take a close look at his paws and tail base. If you find even one creature, then frontline it is. Or whatever brand you use :) hope it's not fleas though!

He could have fleas. Check his tummy, genital region and base of his tail. You can usually see the little buggers, or see dried blood near those areas if your dog has fleas. Do you have him on a monthly flea preventative?

He could also be itching from an environmental allergy of some kind. Something he walked through or rolled around in. I have the itchiest dog in the universe and I still haven't been able to pin down what's making her itch. 

Edited by Chula

Thanks guys, what is the normal procesdure if he does have fleas? i mean do i take him to the vets or just buy the flea stuff?

IMO fleas don't require the vet's attention since you can treat it yourself, but if you're sure this is an allergic reaction maybe the vet will have to know about it. I heard there's this test that tells you what your dog is allergic to?

Last but not least: there are lots of different kinds "flea stuff". It can be a flea shampoo, flea collar, flea powder or flea preventative such as Frontline. Dime never had fleas just ticks so I don't know how effective flea collars are, but Frontline actually works in 24-48 hours and continues to protect your dog for a month. Which means he's gonna need Frontline every month.

It depends. The flea product I use can only be dispensed when prescribed by a vet in the united states. I don't know if the same requirements apply over where you are. Remind me how old your puppy is? One good way of getting rid of fleas is to bathe in dawn blue dish soap, if that's available. You have to work up a good lather and leave it on for a few minutes, but it does help kill fleas. If he does have fleas, you also need to wash all of his bedding, vacuum up really really well your house, clean out his crate if he has one. You'll need to do that several times to make sure any fleas didn't drop their eggs somewhere, or you'll end up with an infestation.

You can also purchase a product called Capstar, which should kill any live fleas on him within 30 minutes. 

It may be fleas, another way of checking is to comb around the base of the tail is easier :P with a flea comb, then wipe it on a wet piece of kitchen roll (white) if it turns red then it's likely you have fleas. I use advocate which I get from the vets, that helps kill ticks and other parasites as well plus any left in the house.

I would just get some frontline from the vets anyway to be honest. Don't get stuff from the pet shop as its mostly crap. If it stops the itching the easiest way to get rid of the fleas in the house are to make him go in those areas so they jump on him and the frontline will kill them. You should be using it once every three months as a general rule anyway although if you take him out a lot then once every 6 weeks. Good luck