• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dog cujo was fit and healthy one day ,by the next day he couldnt walk ,he has had every test going and has been confirmed as having polyneuropathy ,as a last hope they have put him on steroids ,i was wondering if anyone else has come across this ,as it is rare in the uk ,todays phone call from the vet wasnt good .at my wits end ,any advice would be much appriciated :(

thanks asslinn,i know its hereditary in malamutes ,but the vets have said this is viral as it happened so fast ,hes not in any pain and hes bright ,ive kept the hope that he would fight it as hes not even 2 yet ,but its breaking my heart to see him unable to move ,think im just hoping that someone else has had a happy ending to give me a bit of hope ,im trying everything i can but his options are running out  :(

Hidden

Google Karen Yeargain. She owns Tumnatki kennels and is doing research into similar conditions.

(Link removed as it contravenes Site Rules - 5.04 - Advertising of events to raise money for non husky owners events is strictly forbidden.)

Don't forget to contact your breeder! If they have something like this going through their lines, they need to know!

update ,still in the hospital ,hes been put on steroids but as yet there is no real change,hes still unable to walk but can hold his weight on his back legs with support ,still not in pain and eating and drinking well,just taking each day as it comes and waiting for a miracle :( 

As long as the research doesn't contain any information about donating, or the transfer of monies, then I don't see why not.

You can easily just copy and paste the research material here. But do not post the URL - I'm sure people can use Google to figure it out. 

thought i would give an update incase anyone has the same problems in the future .Cujo has stayed at the hospital this week to monitor the effects of the steroids .hes  not had any bad side effects ,but hes still showing no improvement .its now coming up to 5 weeks ,hes still very bright and not in any pain.we have decided to bring him home for the week end ,and then send him on a two week intense course to try and build up his muscle as its wasted away over the last few weeks .Its the only thing left that we can do ,and we are just praying at the end of the therapy he has some significant signs of improvement ,to give us hope that he will eventualy walk again .i have decided to take each day as it comes ,and hope the fact he is a young dog will go in his favour x 

sadly cujo didnt make it ,he was due to go for therapy on monday ,but when we went to collect him from the hospital it was obvious he wasnt going to make it ,he had lost all his muscle and his spirit ,broke my heart ,but the kindest thing was to let him go :( 

thank you ,and no ,i must of mailed 10 people and no one got back ,think i just wanted someone to say ",ye my dog had something similar "just needed someone to talk to ,but it seemed breaders were only interested in wether or not their dogs were carriers ,there is a mallamute site just for dogs with pn ,but noone was interested .if anyone reads this in the future ,i will always be here for them to talk to ,i know things didnt turn out good for me ,but as i said sometimes you just need someone to listen :( xx