My Two Girls Love This Food But Is It Rubbish?

daltor

one of my pups (10 mths) is an "extremely" picky eater the other one is no problem.

the picky one would eat sliced chicken or sirloin steak all day but not with anything else.

i presently cook their food to accomodate the picky one but its still a hit or miss issue with her.

both come to work with me but last week i forgot their food so, as a temporary measure, i bought two trays of asda's new self branded wet food - both cleaned the plates & now the picky one will eat nothing else.

however due to prevailing horror stories about processed dog food i am worried about the ingredients - the food is processed in germany & comes in a 390g/14 oz tray - i have copied the ingredients exactly from the lable as follows:

Ingredients: Meat and animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives (meat and fish 61.0%, including fish 30.0%) , cereals (rice 4.0%),vegetables, minerals.

Analytical Constituents: Crude protein 10.0&, crude oil and fats 6.0%, crude fibres 0.3%,crude ash 2.7% moisture 81.0%.

Nutritional Attitives: Vitamin E, 20mg/kg, Copper (as Copper Sulphate) 1mg/kg, Zinc (as Zinc Oxide) 20mg/kg.

its made in germany.

all comments kindly appreciated.

We would all like to feed our Dogs the very best of foods no matter how expensive.

However our dogs are quite fickle in that respect, in that sometimes they turn 

their noses up at the "good stuff" and will only eat cheaper and potentially less nutritious food.

The general rule of thumb is, the best you can afford that your dogs will eat.

If the Asda food is what they enjoy, as long as they are healthy and happy on it then 

it's a win win situation.

I'd tend to say as long as they're eating, it doesn't especially matter what, there are certain nutrition standards that even the cheapest dog foods have to adhere to, and if it's saving you money, then top notch! Just watch their poops, the additives may not agree with them (they don't in Nika's case, it leads to EXPLOSIVE diarrhoea!) But, Nika has IBS, or the dog equivalent at least, so anything sets her off!

- Caity

We would all like to feed our Dogs the very best of foods no matter how expensive.

However our dogs are quite fickle in that respect, in that sometimes they turn 

their noses up at the "good stuff" and will only eat cheaper and potentially less nutritious food.

The general rule of thumb is, the best you can afford that your dogs will eat.

If the Asda food is what they enjoy, as long as they are healthy and happy on it then 

it's a win win situation.

Unfortunately for me, mine is the exact opposite. He will not eat the cheaper food, and only likes the more expensive ones (TOTW, Acana, etc). He has good taste, I suppose.  :rolleyes:

The main thing I don't like about that food is that it has random meat in it. In the US, that would mean anything, but since the UK has different regulations, I'm sure it won't make them ill like beneful does to dogs here. Everyone else is right though, it doesn't matter if it's the best food in the world-- it won't keep them healthy if they won't eat it ;)

I actually keep a few tins of the asda brand tins in the cupboard for Mishka incase she skips a meal or two of her kibble and I start to get worried, she always stuffs her face in it and she does well on it, hasn't caused any problems, good poops etc :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for your replies - the "derivatives" part of the ingredients just concerned me a bit - perhaps i'm being a bit too particular?

i've been cooking beef & veg for them but believe there is a "mystery ingredient" missing that would really make them go for it - i bought some doggy gravy & fish mix tonight to try.

as mentioned the picky one, akira is the main problem - she would eat chicken all day (and a particular packet treat) but nothing else to supplement it - if i tried mixing the chicken with veg she will just sniff at it with a no thanks.