Blowing Coat Tools

Val (Zebedee)

What do you all use when your huskies are blowing? Do they have "normal" sleek fur? Diesel has very thick fur that keeps hold of the shedding undercoat, he doesn't blow like the other 2 and save plucking him for months on end (which appears to be as useful as a rake) I'm looking for some ideas on how to help him shed without a) going to a groomers & stressing him out or B) washing him weekly during a blow & using an animal blower

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know many people don't like them, but I still use the furminator.  It works great on mine and gets all of the undercoat. I also usually take them to the groomers when I think they are done blowing to get all the leftovers out

how much are they andy ?

Can't see them on the P@H website (but that's where I got mine)

Anyway this is the Amazon Link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikki-Undercoat-Double-Thick-Coats/dp/B003XLEFT0

Undercoat rake for me. Furminator will cut Yuki's fur, I'm not damaging her coat and putting her at risk to over-heating and such. 

i dont understand....how would it "cut" the dogs fur? that doesnt make sense. its brush. we use a furminator on zoey once a week, it works really well. she has no cut fur, and definitely doesnt overheat. 

are those pins retractable

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Nope solid metal with plastic overlay.

A solid comb to get the excess fur up

i dont understand....how would it "cut" the dogs fur? that doesnt make sense. its brush. we use a furminator on zoey once a week, it works really well. she has no cut fur, and definitely doesnt overheat. 

All husky coats are different, it didn't work on my dogs coat and tore out the guard hairs and cut the fur. That's all there is to it. I hope this helps answer your question.

post-8679-0-97300500-1379193287_thumb.jp

post-8679-0-65246400-1379193289_thumb.jp

I use an undercoat rake after seeing all the negative comments about the ferminator, and it works amazing! Wouldn't trade it for anything and his top coat looks great too. I actually ran into a Sibe rescue worker in August and she was amazed how well his coat looked. First thing she said actually.

hmmm i wouldnt really know how to tell if her fur was cut i suppose. I havent noticed her fur looking cut or ripped up. in fact her fur is very soft and very shiny. we get lots of compliments on her fur. 

Ill look into these other combs i suppose

do you use that only after a bath?or anytime? how does it work exactly

We use it when it becomes obvious they are blowing. No bath involved. The air flow simply strips out the loose fur.

So off topic but I recently tried using an undercoat brush and I brushed Jelly and hardly any hair came out...

Then I just used a regular flee comb and tons of hair came out.

I usually use furminator but I see her guard hairs coming out too which is why I just use the flee comb atm even though it doesn't seem like the right course of action lol.

Not really sure how to brush her now x_o.

So off topic but I recently tried using an undercoat brush and I brushed Jelly and hardly any hair came out...

Then I just used a regular flee comb and tons of hair came out.

I usually use furminator but I see her guard hairs coming out too which is why I just use the flee comb atm even though it doesn't seem like the right course of action lol.

Not really sure how to brush her now x_o.

How about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UTDHP2/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_3

An undercoat rake does nothing for my American Eskimo but these combs are amazing for his fur!