Raw Hide Allergic Reaction!?

sarah1988beth

I bought some raw hide flat beef , and bone shaped chicken when we first got duke. He has been eating the flat ones probably one every 2 days. Two days ago he ate half the chicken bone shaped ones and yesterday he had an awful allergic reaction! His face swelled up, he was laying around sleeping most of the day and was even weak! Come to fin out these were made in china! Has anyone else ever experienced an allergic reaction like this? :( it was awful scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;p

No but it's probably going to be one of the chemicals used to treat rawhide that's caused the reaction. Hope he's ok now, I've heard that in emergency cases you can give small amounts of anti histamines to relieve the symptoms of the reaction.

Different dogs will be sensitive to different things, there's obviously something there that your boy reacts to that many others wouldn't. Bit like a peanut or shellfish allergy, some have 'em and some don't. If multiple dogs were sick, I'd suspect poisoning but the symptoms if swelling are more similar to an allergy like you said.

Actually, it's probably the Maltodextrin that's in it - that's an artificial sweetener which has (according to the web) cropped up a lot in the allergy groups.

It's the second item on the list so it's the greatest quantity of "stuff" in them after the rawhide itself.  Why can't they just leave well enough alone?

Oh, that poor dog.

Don't blame yourself.

It's like human allergies.

Until you eat / drink etc that particular thing for the first time

you don't know you are allergic to it.

Now you know don't buy that product.

We always try to read the labels as well. If the words "Made in China" appear we avoid the product. Glad the reaction was not worse.